The Imperial Summer Ball

user posted image

Evening has fallen over Haraldsborg, the Capital of Stormark. In the beautiful gardens of the Feast Hall, an outdoor white tie/full evening dress event is being held. It is the Imperial Summer Ball to celebrate the 6th anniversary of the foundation of the Empire of Kruoningha, which later became the Viking Empire of Stormark.

All Citizens have been invited to the Feast Hall, where they are free to mingle with guests who often include world statesmen and leaders such as the Emperor of Alexandria. All Stormarkers attending the Imperial Summer Ball are required to wear a pin with the Storrebrog, the National Flag of Stormark. Such pins are provided at the entrance of the gardens of the Feast Hall to those who have failed to bring one with them.

Delicious food and refreshing beverages are being served at the Garden Pavilion, which has been specifically commissioned and built for events like this Imperial Summer Ball. Adjacent to the Garden Pavilion is the Blue Pavilion where the Imperial Naval Band is playing a selection of modern, classic and traditional music for guests to dance.
* Lady Aoife, wearing a olive green women's formal evening dress, a copy of the Brísingamen (Freyja's necklace), a stunning Celtic Tiara, and the insignia of the Grand and Glorious Imperial Order of the Two Silver Longships, begins to mingle with the guests. *

* The Emperor, dressed in the Lord High Admiral unifom with the insignia of the Grand and Glorious Imperial Order of the Two Silver Longships and a copy of the Brísingamen around his upper right arm, arrives at the Imperial Summer Ball. *

Vilhelm looked up at the great pavilion with a look of shock and disbelief, and then down the hill he had just climbed. It had been a difficult climb, due to the fact that most of what looked like hard rock was in fact just dirt that would crumble in one's hand and also that he was wearing a nice rented tuxedo. His cummberbund had got caught on a twig protruding from the steep surface at one point. He checked his shoes for any foulness, brushed the dark smears from his arms and face (climbing is a dirty business). He then checked to make sure. Yep, that sign did in fact say "Foreign Visitors Welcome!" So the trip round the back over the fence through the crevasse across the beach and up the cliff had been for nothing. Still, he was here, and that was what mattered.

He had hardly begun his journey over to the punchbowl before he had to stop and look around. It was quite an odd experience. In many Micran nations, you go to an event like this, Vilhelm found alot of the people there were... well... rather slovenly. Tended to look like they had just walked in off the street. However, here, the majority of the people had crowns on their heads and sported hand-make silk dresses or uniforms which seemed to bear more medals than, to Vilhelm's mind, wars had been on Micras. He continued on to the crystal punchbowl under the pavilion.

Before he reached there he overheard the conversation of the two serving gentlemen who were distributing the punch. "Yeah, I said to her, 'Look here,' I said, 'You've got no right to just burst in here--'" "Good way of putting it yeah, 'burst in'." "-e-exactly yeah, 'burst in here and demand that--" At this point Vilhelm had to interrupt. "Excuse me, but could I please have a glass of punch?" The two men looked at one another, then at the punchbowl, then at the rather unkempt man before them, then back at the punch before hurriedly serving him a glass. "Dere ye go, honyorable syir," one of them said with an obvious but horribly bad attempt at a Danish accent. "... sorry?" "You haevn't got a byadge, good syir." He pointed to the spot where a Storrebrog accessory could have gone. "We've byeen yinstruccted to talk lyk this to tyourists." Vilhelm bent closer towards them. "Well, listen here. I may only be a visitor but you don't have to give it all that. I've been here a while and I intend to stay. So no need for that rubbish, syirs." He left the table with his punch glass in his hand feeling like he was the god of comedy.

Now was the time to start mingling. He wasn't dressed like a noble but he had certainly picked up a few tricks in that regard in the many nations he'd visited over the years. He approached a woman, presumably a princess of some far reach of the Viking Empire, and tried his best 'courteous diplomat'. "Good evening, your highness." "Oh, hi." He bent low and kissed the hand of the woman. "And who are you then?" Vilhelm stood up as tall as he could and stuck out his chest. "I, Madame, am the Duke of... Lesser Scandinavia. I am good friends with the Emperor, he invited me personally - I came just as sort of a favour to him, his little parties don't hold a candle to those of the Great Lesser Scandavian Palace." The Presumed Princess set her glass down and folded her arms. "Really, your excellency?" "Yes indeed!" "Well, you're not exactly dressed like a Duke of the Realm." "Indeed? Well what would you have me wear?" "Perhaps for starters... a tuxedo jacket whose back is not covered in mud?" Vilhelm's face went white and he began to turn around in circles trying to look at his back and see how bad it was. The Princess laughed, picked up her drink and escaped. "Drat!" He said, before taking off the tuxedo jacket altogether and hanging it by one finger. The nonchalant, cool guy, doesn't-mind-the-cold look from now on.

Vilhelm attempted the Duke of Lesser Scandinavia ploy a couple more times and a couple more princesses walked off chuckling quietly to themselves. In fact it soon became apparent that word had spread and one even approached him, addressing him as the 'Honourable Duke of Lesser Scandinavia'. It seemed that tonight was not to be his lucky night. He got a punch refill, wiped the sweat from his brow and got a nice seat in the row behind an elderly couple sitting happily attentive before the band. At least the music and the punch was good, he consoled himself.

The Prince steps into the garden in Nidarosian court dress. A fine tailored suit, with golden thread seems, wearing the order of the crown of Gammelregal. The typical court order awarded to an ex-monarch of Nidaros. The Prince then walked by the fountain and sipped at a glass of fine wine.

*Sigurd enters the gardens in a smart black tux with tails accented with a Stormarkian blue vest. His pin of the Storreborg and his insignia of the Order of Odin shimmer on his lapel.*

The Earl of Lindstrom got an ice cold beverage from the refreshment table, it was after all, August. He strolled around the gardens, admiring the impeccable landscaping and impeccably dressed guests. He saw the Emperor, Lady Aoife, and Prince Bjarngeir and made polite small talk with them all, always with an eye on the band and dance floor. When a classy waltz began to play he excused himself from the charming yet clearly disappointed Duke of Lesser Scandinavia (who heard of a Duke wearing a rented tux anyway?) and made his way to the dance floor. He mused to himself whether or not any of the finely dressed gentlemen in attendance would know how to follow in a waltz. He shrugged off the amusing thought, and contented himself with the hand of a young countess from the countryside and put his dancing lessons to good use as the band played.

* The elegant carriage with the Grand Ducal insignia, drew up to the magnificent marble steps of the Imperial Palace. Outside, the navy blue and gold clad footmen marched to the side door of the cabin. One of the white gloved hands shot out and with force opened the velvet backed door.

Inside, The Grand Duke got up. He was wearing the uniform of the Field Marshal of Grand Ducal Armies and his breast was covered in an assortment of orders and medals - most prominently, the Order of the Seraph of the Holy Mount and the Order of the Brazen Bull. His gloved hand, clasped around his golden sabre, the other gently waving at the crowds outside.

The entire entourage came out of the carriage. The Grand Duke was followed by a host of minor nobility, and several carriages of clergy appeared, dressed most eloquently and richly.

On his way in, the Grand Duke embraced The Emperor, The Queen of Dun Gail Dara and the other members of nobility. The Grand Duke was told about Vilhelm. According to the spy sources, Vilhelm was the same Vilhelm who headed the betraying army that deposed the Earl of Branno in the destructive Wars against the Eorltheod. His courtiers were told to mingle and discover more. In the meantime, the Grand Duke found a grand chair to sit in near a sumptuous winter rosebush and began to sip at his delicate crystalline champagne.*

* Queen Astrid of Nidaros enters the gardens of the Feast Hall in a dazzling gold taffeta ball gown bearing the insignia of the Order of the Rose and the Order of the Golden Fleece.

She looks around and then walks up to Lady Aoife. She curtsies for her and then enquires into her well-being. *

* Polten gives some crowns to the conductor, asks for a waltz, then goes looking for the ladies *

Let's dance in style, let's dance for a while. Heaven can wait ......

Un plaisir démodé?

* When the waltz finally (apparently not enough crowns) starts, Polten bows in front of Dame Gudrun *

Milady, may I have the pleasure of this dance?

* as the couple floats elegantly across the floor, the crowd respectfully makes room. There is dancing, there is excellent dancing and then there is this ..... *

* After having arrived at the Garden Pavilion Queen Astrid is trying to make a choice from the many excellent wines that are available. *

Archived