Law of Stormark

Althing Statute

To all and singular to whom these presents shall come,greetings:

Let it be known that it has pleased His Imperial Majesty, The Sovereign Viking Emperor to activate the Althing by enacting the follwing as National Law.

Article 1.

(a) Subject to the High Laws of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire, the Althing shall be the Electoral, Legislative, and Royalty and Nobility Hailing Assembly of the whole of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire.

(B) When sitting as Electoral Assembly of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire the Althing shall, in accordance with venerable tradition and ancient custom, be known as Kjósathing.

(c ) When sitting as Legislative Assembly of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire the Althing shall, in accordance with venerable tradition and ancient custom, be known as Lagthing. No person holding Judicial Office may take part in the Lagthing.

(d) When sitting as Royalty and Nobility Hailing Assembly of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire the Althing shall then, in accordance with venerable tradition and ancient custom, be known as Øyrating. The hailing of Royalty and Nobility by the Øyrating shall be purely symbolic.

Article 2.

Subject to the High Laws of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire, the Althing has the sole and exclusive Power to make Statutes for this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire provided always that provision may be made by Statute for the creation or recognition of subordinate legislatures and for the Powers and Functions of these legislatures.

Article 3.

Upon the coming into operation of this Act, this most ancient Imperial Statute that was issued by the Emperor during the Absolute Monarchy and known ever since as the Althing Statute shall be elevated and created as High Law of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire. It shall, however, for historical as well as sentimental reasons continue to be known as the Althing Statute.

Article 4.

(a) The Althing shall be composed of the Emperor as well as those Citizens of any Status of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire who have successfully claimed a seat in the said Althing.

(B) Any Full, Associate, Ettlingar-Freyu, or Honorary Citizen of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire past the age of thirteen (13) may claim a seat in the Althing by petitioning the Law Speaker of the Althing in, as the case may be, either the Petition for Seat thread in the Látálarinrúm. The Law Speaker of the Althing may only deny a petition for a seat in the Althing if the person petitioning for a seat is not eligible for Membership in the Althing or for reasons laid down in the Rules and Standing Orders of the Althing.

Article 5.

The petition shall be in the following form:

"I, [full name], a [type of citizenship] Citizen of Stormark, have come to claim my seat in the Althing, and that I do hereby solemnly affirm that I am a Citizen of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire in good standing, that I shall faithfully observe and uphold the Laws of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire, to the best of my ability, at all times. I do hereby solemnly affirm that I shall uphold the traditions and guidances which have been placed in my care, and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion."

Article 6.

(a) The Stormarksgothi shall open the annual session of the Althing in the first month of the year and shall close the said annual session in the last month of the year.

(B) As soon as the the annual session of Althing has been opened by the Stormarksgothi, the Emperor, or whoever He appoints for that purpose, shall open its proceedings with a Speech, to be known as His Most Imperial and Most Royal Majesty's Most Gracious Speech, in which He shall inform the Althing of the state of this Most Sovereign and Most Noble Viking Empire and of the issues to which He particularly desires to call the attention of the Althing. No legislative business may be conducted until His Most Imperial and Most Royal Majesty's Most Gracious Speech has been delivered.

(c ) The opening and closing dates of the annual session of the Althing shall be set, in accordance with venerable tradition and ancient custom, by Order of the Emperor in the Council of State.

(d) Between Lindisfarne Day (19 Sessrumnir in Folkvanger/June 8) and Foundation Day (17 Breidablikk/August 8) the Althing shall be in Summer Recess.

Article 7.

(a) The Law Speaker of the Althing shall be the presiding officer of the Althing and shall be appointed by the Emperor.

(B) The Law Speaker of the Althing shall serve, unless (s)he previously dies, resigns, becomes permanently incapacitated, or is dismissed by the Emperor for reasons which to Him seem sufficient, for a term of three (3) years. A person may serve any number of terms as Law Speaker.

(c ) The Law Speaker of the Althing may at any time by warrant under his or her hand and Seal appoint a Deputy Law Speaker who shall serve as presiding officer of the Althing during the absence or incapacity of the Law Speaker of the Althing. The Law Speaker of the Althing may also delegate to the Deputy Law Speaker of the Althing any of his or her duties.

(d) The Deputy Law Speaker of the Althing shall, unless (s)he previously dies, resigns, becomes permanently incapacitated, or is dismissed, shall hold office until the successor of the Law Speaker of the Althing by whom (s)he was appointed shall have entered office. The Law Speaker of the Althing may, for reasons which to him or her seem sufficient, by an order under his hand and Seal, dismiss the Deputy Law Speaker of the Althing appointed by him or her.

Article 8.

(a) In the event that the Althing is not in session when the Longships Throne becomes vacant in the absence of an Lawful Successor to the said Imperial Throne of this Most Sovereign and Most Noble Viking Empire the Law Speaker of the Althing shall call a special session of the Althing to elect a new Emperor.

(B) Should the office of Law Speaker of the Althing be vacant in the event that the Longships Throne becomes vacant in the absence of a Lawful Successor to the said Throne when the Althing is not in session the Fimmtardómur shall call a special session of the Althing to elect a new Emperor.

(c ) In the event that the Althing is not in session during a period of Regency and the office of Imperial Regent becomes vacant during the said period the Law Speaker of the Althing shall call a special session of the Althing to elect a new Imperial Regent.

(d) Should the office of Law Speaker of the Althing be vacant in the event that the Longships Throne or the office of Imperial Regent becomes vacant when the Althing is not in session, without a Deputy Law Speaker of the Althing having been appointed, the Fimmtardómur shall call a special session of the Althing to elect a new Imperial Regent. Special sessions of the Althing called by the Fimmtardómur under this Article shall be presided over by the Chief Justice of Stormark.

(e) A special session of the Althing under this Article may only consider agenda items regarding the election of a new Emperor or a new Imperial Regent and shall be closed by the authority that has called the said special session of the Althing.

(f) Nothing in this Article shall be construed to impair the ancient right of the Law Speaker of the Althing to call a special session of the Althing whenever (s)he deems it necessary.

Article 9.

(a) In the event that a Citizen of Stormark or a Senator of the Lakes who is not a Member of the Althing is appointed Law Speaker of the Althing or Deputy Law Speaker of the Althing, the said Citizen of Stormark or Senator of the Lakes shall become a Member of the Althing by virtue of the said appointment.

(B) A person who has become a Member of the Althing by virtue of having been appointed Law Speaker of the Althing or Deputy Law Speaker of the Althing shall take the Allthingi Affirmation in the following form:

"Your Most Imperial and Royal Majesty,

Let it be known throughout the Lands of Stormark that;

I, ........, a Citizen of Stormark, having been appointed (Deputy) Law Speaker of the Althing, do hereby solemnly affirm that I am a Citizen of this Most Sovereign and Most Noble Viking Empire in good standing, that I shall faithfully observe and uphold the Laws of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire, to the best of my ability, at all times. I do hereby solemnly affirm that I shall uphold the traditions and guidances which have been placed in my care, and that I shall always bear true faith and allegiance to You, Your Most Imperial and Most Royal Majesty Harald Thorstein I the Generous Giver, The Eternal Sovereign Viking Emperor, and to Your Lawful Heirs and Successsors, and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion."

Article 10.

(a) The Althing shall make its own Rules and Standing Orders, with power to attach penalties for their infringement, and shall have power to ensure freedom of debate, to protect its official documents and the private papers of its Members, and to protect itself and its Members against any person or persons interfering with, molesting or attempting to corrupt its Members in the exercise of their duties. It shall require a majority of at least two thirds of the votes cast to pass a Motion containing a proposal or proposals to amend or create Rules and Standing Orders for the Althing.

(B) The Law Speaker of the Althing may apply Udal Law to any and all matters that may arise concerning the Althing that High Laws of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire and the Rules and Standing Orders do not provide for.

Article 11.

When the Althing sits as Legislative Assembly, any Member of the said Althing shall have one (1) vote.

Article 12.

(a) Any Member of the Althing shall be entitled to introduce Bills, Resolutions and other Motions to the Althing. The Law Speaker of the Althing shall, unless the Rules and Standing Orders of the Althing provide otherwise, put each Bill, Resolution or other Motion on the floor of the Althing.

(B) Anyone who introduces a Bill, Resolution or other Motion to the Althing shall add a Memorandum of Explanation to or include a number of "Whereases" in the said introduced Bill, Resolution or Motion giving the reasons for the introduction of aforesaid Bill, Resolution or Motion.

Article 13.

(a) Subject to High Laws of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire, it shall require a majority of the votes cast to pass a Bill, Resolution or other Motion provided always that a Bill containing a proposal or proposals to amend or create a High Law of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire shall require a majority of at least four fifths of the votes cast. The Law Speaker of the Althing shall have and exercise a casting vote in the case of an equality of votes.

(B) The Law Speaker shall submit all Bills passed by the Althing to the Emperor for His Confirmation and Assent, which is also known within this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire, in accordance with venerable tradition and ancient custom, as the Imperial Assent. No Bill shall become Law without the Confirmation and Assent of the Emperor.

Article 14.

(a) The Law Speaker of the Althing may, in his or her absolute discretion, refer any Bill, Resolution or other Motion submitted to the Althing to the Fimmtardómur for a decision on the question as to whether such Bill or any specified provision or provisions of such Bill is or are contrary to or inconsistent with the High Laws of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire or to any provision thereof. Every such reference shall be made not later than the seventh day after the date on which such Bill has been submitted to the Althing.

(B) The preceding subarticle shall not apply to Financial Bills, or a Bills expressed to be a Bill containing a proposal to amend a High Law of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire, or Bills containing a proposal to introduce a new High Law of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire.

(c ) The Law Speaker shall not call a vote on any Bill, Resolution or other Motion which is the subject of a reference to the Fimmtardómur under this Article pending the pronouncement of the decision of the Fimmtardómur.

(d) The Division of the Fimmtardómur known within in this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire as the Haestidómur shall consider every question referred to it under this Article by the Law Speaker of the Althing for a decision, and, after having heard arguments, shall pronounce its decision on such question as soon as may be, and in any case not later than sixty days after the date of such reference.

(e) The decision of the majority of the Lord Justices of the Haestidómur shall, for the purposes of this Article, be the decision of the Fimmtardómur and shall be pronounced by such one of those Lord Justices as the Haestidómur shall direct, and no other opinion, whether assenting or dissenting, shall be pronounced nor shall the existence of any such other opinion be disclosed.

(f) In every case in which the Fimmtardómur decides that any provision of a Bill, Resolution or other Motion which is subject of a reference to the Fimmtardómur under this Article is contrary to or inconsistent with to the High Laws of Stormark or to any provision thereof, shall the Bill, Resolution or other Motion be deemed to have have been defeated and be stored in the Archives of the Althing.

(g) In every other case the Law Speaker of the Althing shall call a vote on the Bill, Resolution or other Motion, subject to the Rules and Standing Orders of the Althing, as soon as may be after the date on which the decision of the Fimmtardómur shall have been pronounced.

Article 15.

A two thirds majority shall be required to expel a Member from the Althing provided always that whenever a person ceases to be a Citizen of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire or a Senator of the Lakes, they shall automatically lose their seat in the Althing.

Article 16.

Members of the Althing shall, when attending a sitting of the Althing, be obliged to dress as persons from the First Viking Age provided always that any Member of the Althing who hails from an Autonomous Country, a Protectorate or a Colony of this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire shall be free to dress himself in traditional clothes from the Autonomous Country, Protectorate or Colony of his or her origin.

Article 17.

The Althing shall sit in or near the City of Haraldsborg provided always that the Emperor in the Council of State may, by Order, and with the consent of Law Speaker, decide to let the Althing meet elsewhere within this Most Sovereign and Noble Viking Empire as part of the ancient traditional Tour of the Althing known as Althingsgata.

So be it!!

Done from the Imperial Hall on the Fifteenth Day of the Month Himinbjorg in the Year of Our Lord the Two Thousand and Fourth and of the Second Viking Age the Third.

Harald Thorstein I the Generous Giver by the Grace of the Viking Law Sovereign Viking Emperor of the Viking Empire of Stormark and by the Grace of Other High Laws of His Other Realms King.

July 5, 2004.