The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Astrid

Swedish Court

Your Grace,

Have you ever visited a Swedish Court?

I have, twice. Once aged 12 or 13 with the social science class in junior high. We went to see a trial. A guy in his 20s had driven drunk. Did his defence all on his own, kudos to him, and he felt really bad about it. He was sentenced to a month in prison, I think, and had to pay some fines too.

I also went the Monday this week, saw a hearing. A man had been on holiday in Turkey, and a taxi driver had taken his iphone. Now, by a treaty between Turkey and Sweden, the man was allowed to give his testimony to a Swedish court, who would then forward it to the Turkish court. The whole ordeal, and what surprised me is that the Turkish police managed to find the driver and bring him to justice! I doubt that would have happened here... But then again, I don't know much about small crimes in Sweden.

The whole ordeal, and what surprised me is that the Turkish police managed to find the driver and bring him to justice! I doubt that would have happened here... But then again, I don't know much about small crimes in Sweden.

A mobile phone is the last thing one should steal, because it basicly is a tracking device and if there is a will the authorities can trace its whereabouts.

How did you like it in the court on those visits of yours?

Not sure what to feel. It's very peaceful, not very rigid. No court dress, no elevated place for the judges. No rituals.

It seems that Swedish court culture is more about arbitration than exercise of state power (culturally, legally it's the same thing).

w0nr4z.jpg

A Swedish judge posing in front of his court room. ;)

Not sure what to feel. It's very peaceful, not very rigid. No court dress, no elevated place for the judges. No rituals.

It seems that Swedish court culture is more about arbitration than exercise of state power (culturally, legally it's the same thing).

Do the parties to a court case shake each others' hands before the court session commences like they do in Norway?

w0nr4z.jpg

A Swedish judge posing in front of his court room. ;)

A High Priestess wishes to convey that she is of the mind that the Swedish court dress code is not THAT relaxed! :lol:

Do the parties to a court case shake each others' hands before the court session commences like they do in Norway?

I don't remember what they did at the trial those 13 or 14 years ago, but at the hearing on Monday handshakes were exchanged.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were common.

A High Priestess wishes to convey that she is of the mind that the Swedish court dress code is not THAT relaxed! :lol:

Indeed, hehe. A friend of mine used to be a lay judge a couple of years ago. He was told that "clean, whole and smart" was the dress-code. Avoid visible labels and pictures on the clothes. Of course, political symbols should be avoided too.

At the hearing, the judge had a tweed blazer, a pink striped shirt, and the secretary, who was probably in his 20s or early 30s, wore a fitted suit with white shirt and tie.

At the hearing, the judge had a tweed blazer, a pink striped shirt, and the secretary, who was probably in his 20s or early 30s, wore a fitted suit with white shirt and tie.

Why were all of you at the court? For the free entertainment in the form of dramatic or amusing court cases? ;)

Probably not!

But it's always good to have a basic grasp of law... the next module will be on inheritence, Swedish contract law, marriage, and then the last one will be on property, building regulations, and financial laws, I think.

But it's always good to have a basic grasp of law... the next module will be on inheritence, Swedish contract law, marriage, and then the last one will be on property, building regulations, and financial laws, I think.

* Phone rings at Ric's house. * :phone:

"Hi Ric!. This is Carl-Philip. Could you lend me a hand with drafting a pre-nup?" ;)

Hah. Not going to happen!

Of course not! You are way too nice to draw up the kind of harsh pre-nup that Carl Philip's fiancée is going to get.

Thank you, my lady! It's good to hear something nice like that! Made my evening!

You are very welcome! Did you also sleep well last night? :)

Not quite. More of a naked gang of the Freya cult chasing me, led by Lady Astrid!

I would call that a very sweet dream!! :party::thumbsup2:

11alb1x.jpg

Not quite. More of a naked gang of the Freya cult chasing me, led by Lady Astrid!

Waaaah.

You can run, but you can't hide! ;)

You're welcome, Your Grace! :)