and we have always won.

And so they spoke, and so they spoke,

that horde of barbarians.

But now the winds wail over their bones,

with no one there to hear.

Yes now the winds wail over their bones,

and not a soul to hear.

Lady Law Speaker, Honourable Jarls,

In the name of the Three Ladies Divine, Frigga, Freyja and Idunn, Fulltrui and Sacred Queens of the Good Lands of Valtia Reborn, from Whom all Authority in the Lands of the Longships Throne is derived, I, Lady Astrid of the House of Vanadís, Bloodroyal and Ærkejarla of the Rose Cape, do hereby beg leave to submit this Bill to the Most Honourable Jarls in this present Althing assembled for their consideration as law:

A Bill

AN ACT TO INTRODUCE THE ANCIENT LEGAL INTERDICTION KNOWN AS THE CLAMEUR D'HERVÖR TO THE WHOLE OF THE LANDS OF THE LONGSHIPS THRONE.

Most Gracious Sovereign Lord and Ruler of all the Lands Whatsoever Where Man Can Smell the Scent of Saline Waters or Hear the Sound of Crashing Waves,

WHEREAS the inhabitants of the Duchy of Normandie have since time immemorial had at their disposal a simple and effective way to address wrongs done to them concerning their real property by pleading their Mighty Duke and Just Sovereign for Justice by means of the ancient legal interdict known as the Clameur d'Hervör;

AND WHEREAS we, Your Imperial and Royal Majesty's Most Faithful Jarls in the Althing assembled, have most joyously deemed it fit, proper and appropriate to introduce and extend the aforesaid ancient of legal recourse and protection to the whole of the Lands of the Longships Throne and all of the Storish Nation;

NOW, THEREFORE, we, Your Imperial and Royal Majesty’s most dutiful and loyal Patricians, the Most Honourable Jarls of the High Realm in the Althing assembled, have freely and voluntarily resolved to create and establish this modified version of the Clameur d'Hervör and introduce and extend it to the whole of the High Realm by this Act of ours and through the provisions of the Act aforesaid make it available to all the Patricians and Citizens of the Twenty-Six Jarldoms, and we do most humbly beseech Your Imperial Valtian Viking Majesty that You may be graciously pleased to assent to and confirm as Law the following decision of Your Most Faithful Althingi Jarls:

Article 1: The Clameur d'Hervör

The ancient legal interdict for matters affecting land from the Duchy of Normandie known since time immemorial as the Clameur d'Hervör shall upon the coming into operation of this Act be introduced and extended to the whole of the Lands of the Longships Throne and all of the Storish Nation.

Article 2: The Criant

As in the Duchy of Normandie the Criant shall be the person invoking the ancient legal interdict by performing the Clameur d'Hervör.

Article 3: Procedure

The Clameur d'Hervör procedure shall be in four steps and as follows:

1. At the site of the offence and in the presence of the wrong-doer and at least two witnesses, the Criant shall sink onto his or her knees, raise his or her hands into the air, and cry out: "Haro! Haro! Haro! A l'aide, mon Prince, on me fait tort!"
  2. Following the aforesaid, the Criant shall recite the first stanza of the Chanson d'Hervör:

"Va, Hervör, Conquérante du lointain
    Fierté de ton mari
    Illumine les chemins obscurs du Pays de Cœur
    Va, Hervör, Conquérante de demain
    La gemme que tu portes à ton cœur
    Doit s'unir à celle que porte ton mari
    Va, Hervör, Conquérante du bonheur
    Viens libérer le Royaume de la terreur des Harkalegars"
  3. The Criant shall then praise the Einherja Queen:

"Hail the Lady Hervör! Hail the Einherja Queen! Unqueenly the bloody game they played with You, Your Imperial and Royal Majesty! With every word and work of mine I shall humbly and gratefully remember Your Ultimate sacrifice and cherish and honour Your Memory and Legacy, Most Excellent Queen!"
  4. Within 24 hours after invoking the Clameur d'Hervör, the Criant shall put the grievance in writing and notify it to the Court. In the event the Criant fails to do so the interdiction shall lapse.

Article 4: Interdiction

The alleged wrong-doer shall, upon hearing the Clameur d'Hervör, cease the challenged activities until the matter is adjudicated in the Court.

Article 5: Penalty for Failure Cease Activities

Should the alleged wrong-doer fail to cease his or her activities, he or she shall be fined, or jailed, or both, by the Court, whether he or she is in the right or not. Any fine or jail term imposed by the Law Chambers under this Act shall not exceed the fine or jail term which the Court may lawfully impose for Contempt of Court.

Article 6: Penalty for Frivolous Criant

In the event that the Criant is found to have invoked the Clameur d'Hervör without a valid reason or otherwise in a frivolous manner, he or she shall be liable to the same penalties as an alleged wrong-doer under Article 5.

Article 7: Short Title and Commencement
This Act may be cited as the Act on the Clameur d'Hervör of Year 13 and shall come into operation immediately after it has received the Imperial Assent.

Article 6. Memorandum of Explanation

Any Member of the Althing who introduces a Bill, Resolution or other Motion to the Althing shall add a Memorandum of Explanation to or include a number of "Whereases" in the said introduced Bill, Resolution or Motion giving the reasons for the introduction of aforesaid Bill, Resolution or Motion.

Due to the Whereases elsewhere in this Bill no Memorandum of Explanation has been added.

* Prays out loud and lustily. *

Thy Most Sacred Majesties,

Direct, I beseech Thee, O Fulltrui and Sacred Queens, the actions of us Jarls in this present Althing assembled by Thy most sacred inspirations and carry them on by Thy most gracious assistance; that every word and work of ours may always begin from Thee, O Three Ladies Divine, and by Thee be happily ended; through Thy Most Sacred Majesties' Love, so mote it be.

Honourable Jarls,

In the name of the Three Ladies Divine, Frigga, Freyja and Idunn, Fulltrui and Sacred Queens of the Good Lands of Valtia Reborn, from Whom all Authority in the Lands of the Longships Throne is derived, all of me, Lady Aoife the Celt of the House of the Descendants of Freyja, Krónjarla of Stormark, Imperial Chieftainess of the Sólareyjar, Bloodroyal and Ærkejarla of the Sólareyjar, Law Speaker of the Althing, grants the Rosejarla leave to submit this Bill of hers to all of you here in this present Althing assembled.

Discussion and debate on this Bill will be open for a period of one week.

Lady Law Speaker,

It is unwise for me to comment on legislative measures generally, but here I must make an exception. The clameur, chanson and the hail are very wordy and I fear that people in the High Realm will not know these words by heart, possibly making several future cases of the clameur d'Hervör more on whether it was properly made rather than on the clameur itself.

I would recommend, Lady Law Speaker, that the haro be shortened, and that it may be said in English or other languages of Stormark, that the chanson be skipped and that the hails to Hervör be such as any kind of hailing her would suffice.

A High Priestess wonders whether the Clameur d'Hervör is inspired by the Clameur de Haro?

The Clameur d'Hervör has indeed been inspired by the Clameur de Haro.

I would recommend, Lady Law Speaker, that the haro be shortened, and that it may be said in English or other languages of Stormark, that the chanson be skipped and that the hails to Hervör be such as any kind of hailing her would suffice.

I will take the above recommendations by the Drageskipjarl into consideration concerning amending the Bill.

A High Priesstess wishes to convey that she suggests that first stanza of the Chanson d'Hervör be replaced with a short text which is widely known in the Tweny-Six Jarldoms.

I'm in agreement with the Applejarla and would like to ask her if she has any text in mind?

I think the song text proposed by the Applejarla is an excellent choice!

I have amended the Bill in accordance with the suggestions made by the Applejarla and the Drageskipjarl.

A Bill

AN ACT TO INTRODUCE THE ANCIENT LEGAL INTERDICTION KNOWN AS THE CLAMEUR D'HERVÖR TO THE WHOLE OF THE LANDS OF THE LONGSHIPS THRONE.

Most Gracious Sovereign Lord and Ruler of all the Lands Whatsoever Where Man Can Smell the Scent of Saline Waters or Hear the Sound of Crashing Waves,

WHEREAS the inhabitants of the Duchy of Normandie have since time immemorial had at their disposal a simple and effective way to address wrongs done to them concerning their real property by pleading their Mighty Duke and Just Sovereign for Justice by means of the ancient legal interdict known as the Clameur d'Hervör;

AND WHEREAS we, Your Imperial and Royal Majesty's Most Faithful Jarls in the Althing assembled, have most joyously deemed it fit, proper and appropriate to introduce and extend the aforesaid ancient source of legal recourse and protection to the whole of the Lands of the Longships Throne and all of the Storish Nation;

NOW, THEREFORE, we, Your Imperial and Royal Majesty’s most dutiful and loyal Patricians, the Most Honourable Jarls of the High Realm in the Althing assembled, have freely and voluntarily resolved to create and establish this modified version of the Clameur d'Hervör and introduce and extend it to the whole of the High Realm by this Act of ours and through the provisions of the Act aforesaid make it available to all the Patricians and Citizens of the Twenty-Six Jarldoms, and we do most humbly beseech Your Imperial Valtian Viking Majesty that You may be graciously pleased to assent to and confirm as Law the following decision of Your Most Faithful Althingi Jarls:

Article 1: The Clameur d'Hervör

The ancient legal interdict for matters affecting land from the Duchy of Normandie known since time immemorial as the Clameur d'Hervör shall upon the coming into operation of this Act be introduced and extended to the whole of the Lands of the Longships Throne and all of the Storish Nation.

Article 2: The Criant

As in the Duchy of Normandie the Criant shall be the person invoking the ancient legal interdict by performing the Clameur d'Hervör.

Article 3: Procedure

The Clameur d'Hervör procedure shall be in four steps and as follows:

1. At the site of the offence and in the presence of the wrong-doer and at least two witnesses, the Criant shall sink onto his or her knees, raise his or her hands into the air, and cry out: "Hear me! Hear me! Hear me! Come to my aid, my Prince, for someone does me wrong!"
  2. Following the aforesaid, the Criant shall recite the song "Raise Your Mug to the Legends of the Fog":

"Raise your mug!
    To the legends of the fog!
    Through our songs!
    They will never be lost!"
  3. The Criant shall then hail High Queen Hervör the Einherja.
  4. Within 24 hours after invoking the Clameur d'Hervör, the Criant shall put the grievance in writing and notify it to the Court. In the event the Criant fails to do so the interdiction shall lapse.

Article 4: Interdiction

The alleged wrong-doer shall, upon hearing the Clameur d'Hervör, cease the challenged activities until the matter is adjudicated in the Court.

Article 5: Penalty for Failure Cease Activities

Should the alleged wrong-doer fail to cease his or her activities, he or she shall be fined, or jailed, or both, by the Court, whether he or she is in the right or not. Any fine or jail term imposed by the Law Chambers under this Act shall not exceed the fine or jail term which the Court may lawfully impose for Contempt of Court.

Article 6: Penalty for Frivolous Criant

In the event that the Criant is found to have invoked the Clameur d'Hervör without a valid reason or otherwise in a frivolous manner, he or she shall be liable to the same penalties as an alleged wrong-doer under Article 5.

Article 7: Short Title and Commencement
This Act may be cited as the Act on the Clameur d'Hervör of Year 13 and shall come into operation immediately after it has received the Imperial Assent.

The High King and Gulajarl begs leave to move for a vote.

The Brísingajarla seconds the move for a vote.

Honourable Jarls,

In the name of the Three Ladies Divine, Frigga, Freyja and Idunn, Fulltrui and Sacred Queens of the Good Lands of Valtia Reborn, from Whom all Authority in the Lands of the Longships Throne is derived, all of me has noted that motion for a vote has been made and seconded. All of me hereby declares that debate is closed and that voting shall commence immediately. All Althingi Jarls may vote AYE, NAY, DEFER to signify the Bill be returned to debate or ABSTAIN. Voting may remain open for four days.