and we have always won.

And so they spoke, and so they spoke,

that horde of barbarians.

But now the winds wail over their bones,

with no one there to hear.

Yes now the winds wail over their bones,

and not a soul to hear.

Lady Law Speaker, Honourable Jarls,

In the name of the Three Ladies Divine, Frigga, Freyja and Idunn, Fulltrui and Sacred Queens of the Good Lands of Valtia Reborn, from Whom all Authority in the Lands of the Longships Throne is derived, I, Lady Astrid of the House of Vanadís, Bloodroyal and Ærkejarla of the Rose Cape, do hereby beg leave to submit this Bill to the Most Honourable Jarls in this present Althing assembled for their consideration as law:

A Bill

AN ACT CONCERNING THE AMENDMENT OF THE HIGH LAW OF THE HIGH REALM OF STORMARK TO PROVIDE THE LANDS OF THE LONGSHIPS THRONE WITH A VIKING SYSTEM OF REAL PROPERTY OWNERSHIP.

Article I.

Article XXII. of the Fifth Chapter of the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark shall be amended to read:

"Article XXII.

1. Everyone shall have the right to own and control their own property. Provisions on the expropriation of property, for public needs and against full compensation, shall be laid down by Althingi Law.

2. Everyone shall hold their lands and other real property they hold in proprietary ownership in allodial tenure in accordance with the ancient consuetudinary laws known as Åsetesrettúr and Odelsrettúr."

Article II.

This Act may be cited as the Allodial Right Act of Year 13 and shall come into operation immediately after it has received the Assent of the High King in the High Council of the Realm.

Memorandum of Explanation

The purpose of this Bill is to provide Stormark with a Viking system of property ownership which is both modern and ancient.

Under ancient Viking Law, all own their property under the Lords and Ladies Divine. Ownership is therefore not "feudal", where fee simple is derived from, but "allodial" and the monarch is not the ultimate Landlord.

Provision for expropriation has been retained for sometimes the need the arises to expropriate property for the public weal.

* Prays out loud and lustily. *

Thy Most Sacred Majesties,

Direct, I beseech Thee, O Fulltrui and Sacred Queens, the actions of us Jarls in this present Althing assembled by Thy most sacred inspirations and carry them on by Thy most gracious assistance; that every word and work of ours may always begin from Thee, O Three Ladies Divine, and by Thee be happily ended; through Thy Most Sacred Majesties' Love, so mote it be.

Honourable Jarls,

In the name of the Three Ladies Divine, Frigga, Freyja and Idunn, Fulltrui and Sacred Queens of the Good Lands of Valtia Reborn, from Whom all Authority in the Lands of the Longships Throne is derived, all of me, Lady Aoife the Celt of the House of the Descendants of Freyja, Krónjarla of Stormark, Imperial Chieftainess of the Sólareyjar, Bloodroyal and Ærkejarla of the Sólareyjar, Law Speaker of the Althing, grants the Rosejarla leave to submit this Bill of hers to all of you here in this present Althing assembled.

Discussion and debate on this Bill will be open for a period of one week.

Lady Law Speaker,

May I ask the Lady Astrid of her opinion of what this amendment would cause? Does she see this as a clarification of already held practice or a change in the way property is held in Stormark?

Except for the Duchy of Normandie, this amendment is indeed just a clarification of established practice in the Twenty-Six Jarldoms.

Lady Law Speaker,

I thank the Rosejarla for her answer. If His Imperial Majesty is particularly fond of his feudal rule in Normandy, he still has the chance to block the passage of this bill by refusing assent! ;)

I have got nothing against this Bill because it does not affect my Norman Droit de seigneur. ;)

I have got nothing against this Bill because it does not affect my Norman Droit de seigneur. ;)

The High King has just handed me the idea for my next Bill. ;)

The High King has just handed me the idea for my next Bill. ;)

Hahaha!! :lol:

The High King and Gulajarl begs leave to move for a vote.

The Brísingajarla seconds the move for a vote.

Honourable Jarls,

In the name of the Three Ladies Divine, Frigga, Freyja and Idunn, Fulltrui and Sacred Queens of the Good Lands of Valtia Reborn, from Whom all Authority in the Lands of the Longships Throne is derived, all of me has noted that motion for a vote has been made and seconded. All of me hereby declares that debate is closed and that voting shall commence immediately. All Althingi Jarls may vote AYE, NAY, DEFER to signify the Bill be returned to debate or ABSTAIN. Voting may remain open for four days.