The High Realm of Stormark

From Vilhjalm's private diary

Something very strange happened today. An old lady, one of the richest people in the jarldom, came to visit me. She asked me what the tax rate on selling slaves were, or "thralls" as she called them.

I haven't been here long... only a few days... but never did I realize that slavery still existed in the enlightened realm of Stormark.

I told her off.

But she refused to get aggitated. She claimed, in a calm and a pedagogical manner, that thralls were part of udall law, and that the previous ruler, the pirate queen Victoria, had enshrined this in judgments. Slaves were made thus by order of a court of law for a crime that was committed. The crime, apparently, could be a very minor one, depending on who committed it. Someone said something disrespectful to a nobleman, and the poor lad was enslaved for life according to one judgment that I read. It is strange... but then again, the high law allows for death penalty for trolling so... Storish law will take some time to get used to.

But still... slaves?

The ladyship further argued for the economic incentives of slaves, and she petitioned me to allow slavery status to come by birth! I was shocked. But then she said, "archnobility and archroyalty are also determined by birth, so why shouldn't thrallship?"

I'm seriously considering stepping down unless I understand this more... and what to do.

This is oh so strange.

Time for sleep now.

Article VIII.

No form of slavery shall exist in the High Realm; and there shall not be any involuntary servitude, otherwise than for the punishment of crime, of which the party shall have been duly convicted.

I haven't been here long... only a few days... but never did I realize that slavery still existed in the enlightened realm of Stormark.

Slavery is banned in the High Realm of Stormark by Article VIII of the Fifth Chapter of the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark and persons doing penal servitude as punishment for a crime are not anyone's property. Such persons are in the care of the State and are sent to Old Gaol Isle, which is Stormark's prison island, to serve out their sentence.

I'm seriously considering stepping down unless I understand this more... and what to do.

You should call in the Marshalcy of the Isles, which is the jarldom police force of the Longships Islands, to have this woman arrested for Sacrilege as well as have her properties searched to find and set free any persons held in the illegal and abhorrent state of slavery.

Shit! My diary was leaked out... I have a mole in the castle... God-damned slavery-lovers.

Thank you Lady Astrid for your support. I fear this horridness is more wide-spread than first realized. This is truly a lawless society. People aren't telling me anything, there are black markets for everything...

I may need back-up from the imperial government if this can't be sorted out.

I should have chosen a more tranquil region...

But at least this region has a jarl now.

It's been crazy!

Thank you Lady Astrid for your support. I fear this horridness is more wide-spread than first realized. This is truly a lawless society. People aren't telling me anything, there are black markets for everything...

You're welcome!

I may need back-up from the imperial government if this can't be sorted out.

You can also call in the Jarldom Defence Force of the Longships Islands, the Roaring Reavers. And the Imperial Government will, of course, be most happy to render you the assistance you need.

You can also call in the Jarldom Defence Force of the Longships Islands, the Roaring Reavers. And the Imperial Government will, of course, be most happy to render you the assistance you need.

Indeed.

I fear this horridness is more wide-spread than first realized. This is truly a lawless society. People aren't telling me anything, there are black markets for everything...

Smuggling, louche business, and shady dealings naturally are quite deeply ingrained in the DNA of the Longships Folk.

Apparently, after further investigation, it appears that the Roaring Reavers knew about this the whole time. Not only do they keep a low profile about it, they actively assist in finding run-away slaves.

Apparently, after further investigation, it appears that the Roaring Reavers knew about this the whole time. Not only do they keep a low profile about it, they actively assist in finding run-away slaves.

You are the Jarl of the Longships Islands. Fire the culprits, replace them and bring them to justice! :chainsaw:

You are the Jarl of the Longships Islands. Fire the culprits, replace them and bring them to justice! :chainsaw:

Right on!!

Will do my best...

Let that enslaving scum have it! :boxing::whip: