The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Galinn Karisson

The Corps of Nidaros

The Corps of Nidaros

Organization:

Corps of Nidaros (Commanded by a Marshal - Lieutenant General)

1st Division of Infantry (Commanded by a Major General)

1st Nidaros Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding)

- 4 line battalions (Major Commanding)

- 1 reserve battalion (Regimental XO, or Lieutenant Colonel, Commanding)

2nd Nidaros Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding)

2nd Division of Infantry (Commanded by a Major General)

3rd Nidaros Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding)

4th Nidaros Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding)

Cavalry Division (Commanded by a Brigadier General)

1st Nidaros Regiment of Horse (Colonel Commanding)

- 3 line squadrons (Major Commanding)

- 1 reserve squadron (Regimental XO, or Lieutenant Colonel, Commanding)

2nd Nidaros Regiment of Horse (Colonel Commanding)

Details:

At first, this organization seems to be pretty simple, yet it is in the regiment where the action is. As pointed out earlier, a regiment is composed of around 3000-4000 men. Thus, I have decided to forget the brigade altogether, and use the regiment as the main base unit. Now, I have decided to make the infantry regiment 3000 men strong, and the cavalry regiment 2000 men strong (giving the entire Corps around 16,000 troops).

The Infantry Regiment:

- 5 battalions of 600 men each

- 4 line battalions. Now, this will provide the regiment the full opportunity to for the standard French two rank line of battle (i.e. two battalions in the front rank, two in the rear). This will provide a good source of line security, and keep gaps closed.

- Each line battalion shall be composed of 6 infantry companies of one hundred men each, each commanded by a captain, which shall be divided along the American Civil War model (3 Officers, 15 NCOs, 72 privates).

- Then there is the so-called "reserve" battalion. This is a unique formation as it is an army in itself. It shall be composed of two companies of grenadiers, or other heavy units for assaults, and two light infantry companies, for flank support on marches, foraging, and skirmish formation. Now the other two companies will be artillery. That's right, artillery will be added to each unit. One company shall man 4 12-pdr guns, and 2 6-inch howitzers; the other company shall man 4 6-pdr guns, and 2 5.5-inch howitzers. Thus, each regiment shall have a twelve gun compliment, which as evidenced in many a Napoleonic and Civil War battle, is more than enough to satisfy a body of soldiers this large.

- Now, each soldier shall be armed with the famous Baker Rifle. Some of you might be saying "Wait! That isn't a French rifle! I thought you said NAPOLEONIC!" Well, it is, but it is British. Unfortunately, I have had to betray my famous hero Napoleon and go with the rifle which stopped Napoleon's best troops in their tracks at both long and short rangers (read about the Spanish campaigns and Waterloo and find out the effects of it.) Also, each man shall be required to know the use of the bayonet. Every man will also need to be able to march at least 30 miles a day, for in Napoleonic warfare, the key to victory is not to win battles by muskets and cannon, but by one's feet.

The Cavalry Regiment

- 4 squadrons (battalions) of 500 men each.

- 3 "line" battalions, of five companies, which will allow enough force behind a charge to render the enemy as always unsafe.

- 1 "reserve" squadron, with 3 companies of heavy cavalry (that is Dragoons, Grenadiers, etc.) for support and foraging, and 2 companies of artillery. One artillery company shall contain the same armament of the medium artillery company of the infantry regiment, 4 6-pdr guns, and 2 5.5-inch howitzers.

- Hussars shall be armed with sabers and pistols, lancers with, obviously, a lance, and dragoons with a short carbine musket and saber.

- Each cavalryman must be able to wield their weapons effectively through full drill, and keep their horses well and fit for battle, as much as possible.

Miscellaneous (Some things that might come up)

- In the infantry divisions, a brigadier general will serve as chief of staff of the division.

- The cavalry division is commanded by a brigadier general because of the common instance of a lower ranking general to command a cavalry division (though not always) and to distinguish the commanders of a unit (Plus, it fuels ambition, which can make men to great things on the battlefield; or worse things, but I'll take my chances).

- The staff of each higher unit is pretty much the same: an adjutant, a quartermaster, a commissary, a chaplain, ordinance officer, etc.

- This entire corps is the kind which could fight in the Napoleonic wars, although it could easily be tailored for other 19th, and even 20th century armies.

- Yes, despite it being called "Napoleonic", the corps has some components of other, later wars. But, if you think about it, many of the wars of the 19th century were Napoleonic, especially the Civil War (to deadly effect).

- A lieutenant colonel commands the reserve battalion because he can be on the filed more so than the regimental commander, yet can be protected. Plus, it contains more specialized units, and thus, theoretically, a lieutenant colonel has more experience and knowledge.

And that's the basic gist of it. Thus, Your Majesty, I humbly submit this to your approval, and am willing to take suggestions and questions from all concerned citizens and soldiers.

(I've already posted it, but I have decided to create a new topic to discuss it and to make changes to it if I feel the need to.)

Good Evening To You, Your Majesty of Nidaros, And Also To You, Your Majesty of Stormark,

Oh, This Is Truly MAGNIFICENT!!! . . .

The Corps of Nidaros is Most Excellent, indeed!!! . . .

This will indeed be most Beneficial to Your Kingdom of Nidaros, Your Majesty !!! . . . .

And I applaud Your Majesty of Stormark for Approving such a Plan!!! . . .

This is Very Excellent!!! . . .

Have a most thoughtful evening . . . forthwith . . .

Your Majesty,

I sincerly thank you for approving my plan for this corps, which I hope can be built to a magnificant tool of war. However, I have a few questions that I hope you can elaborate on:

1.) May I serve as commander in chief (or general officer command, whatever you may call it) of the Corps of Nidaros?

2.) If I may serve as commander of the Corps, shall I serve at my present rank, or at the ranks prescribed in the above plan. That is, shall I serve as colonel, or may I serve as a general, or even, a marshal..........? (Well, it was worth a shot to be a Murat or a Lannes to Stormark's Napoleon. Anyway, I digress)

3.) May I offer this Corps, if I am allowed to command, as a vanguard corps for any operation that may come up. That is, may I offer this corps to be your eyes and ears in a major offensive (or defensive) operation?

4.) May I offer this model as a future model for the Army of Stormark?

Thank you for you consideration, Royal Cousin.

Good Evening To You, Your Majesty Of Nidaros, And Also To You, Your Majesty of Stormark,

Your Majesties, what we have here is a True Military Genius . . .

Your Majesty of Nidaros, Your Military Expertise is REMARKABLE!!! . . .

Your Majesty of Stormark, I think we have a Wonderful Brilliant Person here, who has the Military Experience to Plan and Execute Military Strategy so very well . . .

To Both of You, I Offer My Congratulations!!! . . .

Royal Cousin,

Please find below the answer to your questions.

1.) May I serve as commander in chief (or general officer command, whatever you may call it) of the Corps of Nidaros?

Yes, you may serve as Commander in Chief of the Corps of Nidaros. I will submit a Proposed Order in Council for approval to the Council of State appointing you to that position.

2.) If I may serve as commander of the Corps, shall I serve at my present rank, or at the ranks prescribed in the above plan. That is, shall I serve as colonel, or may I serve as a general, or even, a marshal..........? (Well, it was worth a shot to be a Murat or a Lannes to Stormark's Napoleon. Anyway, I digress)

You will also be promoted to the rank of Riksmarskalk (Grand Marshal) by virtue of the aforementioned Proposed Order in Council.

3.) May I offer this Corps, if I am allowed to command, as a vanguard corps for any operation that may come up. That is, may I offer this corps to be your eyes and ears in a major offensive (or defensive) operation?

Sure!!

4.) May I offer this model as a future model for the Army of Stormark?

Yes, if the Army of Stormark is modelled after the Corps of Nidaros, this Viking Nation will have the best organized army of the micronational world.

Royal Cousin,

I have a question for you. Would you like to expand the Corps of Nidaros? And if so: What would be its ideal size?

Royal Cousin,

Thank you for the oppurtunities you are presetning me with. I hope I can help in any way possible.

As to enlagening the Corps, I believe that all corps should have at least two to three infantry divisions of two regiments of the planned size, and a cavalry division of the listed size. Ideally, I would like a corps to be at least 16,000 to 25,000 men strong. I could tailor the corps, at all levels, to achieve the truly Napoleonic number for a corps of 30,000 men, if asked, or ordered, to do so.

And one thing I think would be useful is the creation of a central army, such as the Grand Armee, which could be able to move at any point in the Empire quickly, and provide a harsh knockout blow.

Good Morning To You, My Gentle Friends,

His Holiness, Also Known As His Majesty of Nidaros is a True Military Genius!!! . . .

His Military Expertise really shines!!! . . .

Have a most thoughtful morning . . . forthwith . . .

Royal Cousin,

Thank you for the oppurtunities you are presetning me with. I hope I can help in any way possible.

As to enlagening the Corps, I believe that all corps should have at least two to three infantry divisions of two regiments of the planned size, and a cavalry division of the listed size. Ideally, I would like a corps to be at least 16,000 to 25,000 men strong. I could tailor the corps, at all levels, to achieve the truly Napoleonic number for a corps of 30,000 men, if asked, or ordered, to do so.

And one thing I think would be useful is the creation of a central army, such as the Grand Armee, which could be able to move at any point in the Empire quickly, and provide a harsh knockout blow.

You have my permission to tailor the Corps of Nidaros into a corps of truly Napoleonic strength.

I also would like you to model the whole Army of Stormark after Napoleon's Army. So one Army Corps per Province or Kingdom and a Central Army.

Stormark has at present nine Provinces: Gulathing, Frostathing, Eidsivathing, Borgarthing, Rogaland, Storadal, Yrjar, Gautland and Frigga Island.

Stormark has at present three Kingdoms Nidaros, Celtica and Treisenberg-Ságolann.

Good Afternoon To You, My Gentle Friends,

This is FANTASTIC!!! . . .

This will indeed give Our Great Nation of Stormark some Wonderful Added Protection that is Most Assuredly Welcome!!! . . .

Have an absolutely splendiferous afternoon . . . forthwith . . .

Your Majesty,

Thank you for the information. I know have enouh info on Stormark to create a nice little army (figuratively speaking, of course). I think we could make this work. Huzzah for the Army of Stormark!

Good Afternoon To You, Your Majesty of Nidaros,

And What A FABULOUS Army You Will Create, Your Majesty!!! . . .

Have an absolutely splendiferous afternoon . . . forthwith . . .

Offical Plan for a Corps of the Army of Stormark:

Organization:

Corps (Commanded by a Marshal - Lieutenant General) (30,000 men)

1st Division of Infantry (Commanded by a Major General) (8,000 men)

1st Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding) (4,000 men)

- Each battalion has 800 men

2nd Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding) (4,000 men)

2nd Division of Infantry (Commanded by a Major General) (8,000 men)

3rd Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding) (4,000 men)

4th Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding) (4,000 men)

3rd Division of Infantry (Commanded by a Major General) (8,000 men)

5th Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding) (4,000 men)

6th Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding) (4,000 men)

Cavalry Division (Commanded by a Brigadier General) (6,000 men)

1st Regiment of Horse (Colonel Commanding) (2000 men)

- Each battalion has 500 men

2nd Regiment of Horse (Colonel Commanding) (2000 men)

3rd Regiment of Horse (Colonel Commanding) (2000 men)

Details:

At first, this organization seems to be pretty simple, yet it is in the regiment where the action is. As pointed out earlier, a regiment is composed of around 3000-4000 men. Thus, I have decided to forget the brigade altogether, and use the regiment as the main base unit. Now, I have decided to make the infantry regiment 4000 men strong, and the cavalry regiment 2000 men strong (giving the entire Corps around 30,000 troops).

The Infantry Regiment (and related issues):

- 5 battalions of 800 men each

- 4 line battalions. Now, this will provide the regiment the full opportunity to for the standard French two rank line of battle (i.e. two battalions in the front rank, two in the rear). This will provide a good source of line security, and keep gaps closed.

- Each line battalion shall be composed of 8 infantry companies of one hundred men each, each commanded by a captain, which shall be divided along the American Civil War model (3 Officers, 15 NCOs, 72 privates).

- Then there is the so-called "reserve" battalion. This is a unique formation as it is an army in itself. It shall be composed of three companies of grenadiers, or other heavy units for assaults, and three light infantry companies, for flank support on marches, foraging, and skirmish formation. Now the other two companies will be artillery. That's right, artillery will be added to each unit. One company shall man 4 12-pdr guns, and 2 6-inch howitzers; the other company shall man 4 6-pdr guns, and 2 5.5-inch howitzers. Thus, each regiment shall have a twelve gun compliment, which as evidenced in many a Napoleonic and Civil War battle, is more than enough to satisfy a body of soldiers this large.

- Now, each soldier shall be armed with the famous Baker Rifle. Some of you might be saying "Wait! That isn't a French rifle! I thought you said NAPOLEONIC!" Well, it is, but it is British. Unfortunately, I have had to betray my famous hero Napoleon and go with the rifle which stopped Napoleon's best troops in their tracks at both long and short rangers (read about the Spanish campaigns and Waterloo and find out the effects of it.) Also, each man shall be required to know the use of the bayonet. Every man will also need to be able to march at least 30 miles a day, for in Napoleonic warfare, the key to victory is not to win battles by muskets and cannon, but by one's feet.

- In the infantry divisions, a brigadier general will serve as chief of staff of the division.

- A lieutenant colonel commands the reserve battalion because he can be on the filed more so than the regimental commander, yet can be protected. Plus, it contains more specialized units, and thus, theoretically, a lieutenant colonel has more experience and knowledge.

The Cavalry Regiment (and related issues):

- 4 squadrons (battalions) of 500 men each.

- 3 "line" battalions, of five companies, which will allow enough force behind a charge to render the enemy as always unsafe.

- 1 "reserve" squadron, with 3 companies of heavy cavalry (that is Dragoons, Grenadiers, etc.) for support and foraging, and 2 companies of artillery. One artillery company shall contain the same armament of the medium artillery company of the infantry regiment, 4 6-pdr guns, and 2 5.5-inch howitzers.

- Hussars shall be armed with sabers and pistols, lancers with, obviously, a lance, and dragoons with a short carbine musket and saber.

- Each cavalryman must be able to wield their weapons effectively through full drill, and keep their horses well and fit for battle, as much as possible.

- If split up, a cavalry division can provide one regiment for each infantry division. Thus, each division could be its own independent fighting force.

- The cavalry division is commanded by a brigadier general because of the common instance of a lower ranking general to command a cavalry general (though not always) and to distinguish the commanders of a unit (Plus, it fuels ambition, which can make men to great things on the battlefield; or worse things, but I'll take my chances).

The Staff Corps:

- As any soldier knows, no army can move without someone to keep track of orders, paperwork, supplies, etc. Thus, the following staffs are provided for each unit.

- The Battalion Staff: Major (or in reserve battalion Lt. Col.), Adjutant, Quartermaster, Sergeant Major, Commissary, Hospital Steward, Clerk.

- The Regiment Staff: Colonel Commanding, Lieutenant Colonel (when not commanding reserve battalion), Adjutant, Quartermaster, Commissary, Surgeon, Assistant Surgeon, Chaplain, Drum Major, Clerk.

- The Division Staff: Major General Commanding (Brig. Gen. for Cavalry), Brigadier General (Colonel in Cavalry), Adjutant, Quartermaster, Commissary, Ordinance Officer, Aide de Camp, Surgeon, Assistant Surgeon, Chaplain, Topographical Engineer, Clerk.

- The Corps/Army Staff: Two to Three Aides, Adjutant General, Chief Quartermaster, Chief of Ordinance and Artillery, Chief of Surgeons, Judge Advocate, Provost Marshal, Chief Commissary, and Chief Topographical Engineer.

Good Evening To You, My Gentle Friends,

The Imperial Army of Stormark is indeed Great!!! . . .

Good Afternoon To You, Your Majesty,

Isn't the Plan that His Majesty of Nidaros Outlined Just Fantastic!!! . . .

He is Indeed Most Talented In Military Affairs!!! . . .

Have a most thoughtful afternoon . . . forthwith . . .