The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Galinn Karisson

The Organization of the Regiments

Your Majesty, Your Highness,

Here is a question I have been meaning to ask. What is the average strength and organization of a regiment (infantry and cavalry)? Also, can these regiments be organized into higher commands such as brigades, divisions, corps, or are they under nominal field armies?

Good Morning To You, My Gentle Friends,

I told You so!!! . . .

I knew it!!! . . . .

His Holiness is already amazing us with His Military Expertise!!! . . .

He is going to positively bring Wonderful Organizational Skills to the Army in Stormark!!! . . .

Have a most thoughtful morning . . . forthwith . . .

Royal Cousin,

The average strength of a regiment is 3000 men. A regiment consists of 3 to 4 battalions. Regiments can indeed be organized into higher commands.

Good Morning To You, Your Holiness, And To You, Your Majesty,

Well, with Military Forces of that Magnitude, I would say, conservatively speaking, that all of us here in Stormark should feel very well protected!!! . . .

Have an absolutely splendiferous morning . . . forthwith . . .

Your Majesty,

If I was to submit a plan to organize the units of the Kingdom of Nidaros into a Napoleonic Corps (not necessarily for field action, that I leave to your plans), would you mind taking a look at it. I've been interested in Napoleonic organization lately, and would like to try it out on the units at my disposal, if you allow so.

Good Evening To You, Your Majesty,

I knew it!!! . . .

I just knew it!!! . . .

His Majesty of Nidaros, His Holiness, is such a Military Expert!!! . . .

He will have the Military Forces re-organized and into shape in no time!!! . . .

Have a most thoughtful evening . . . forthwith . . .

The Corps of Nidaros

Organization:

Corps of Nidaros (Commanded by a Marshal - Lieutenant General)

1st Division of Infantry (Commanded by a Major General)

1st Nidaros Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding)

- 4 line battalions (Major Commanding)

- 1 reserve battalion (Regimental XO, or Lieutenant Colonel, Commanding)

2nd Nidaros Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding)

2nd Division of Infantry (Commanded by a Major General)

3rd Nidaros Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding)

4th Nidaros Regiment of Foot (Colonel Commanding)

Cavalry Division (Commanded by a Brigadier General)

1st Nidaros Regiment of Horse (Colonel Commanding)

- 3 line squadrons (Major Commanding)

- 1 reserve squadron (Regimental XO, or Lieutenant Colonel, Commanding)

2nd Nidaros Regiment of Horse (Colonel Commanding)

- 3 line squadrons (Major Commanding)

- 1 reserve squadron (Regimental XO, or Lieutenant Colonel, Commanding)

Details:

At first, this organization seems to be pretty simple, yet it is in the regiment where the action is. As pointed out earlier, a regiment is composed of around 3000-4000 men. Thus, I have decided to forget the brigade altogether, and use the regiment as the main base unit. Now, I have decided to make the infantry regiment 3000 men strong, and the cavalry regiment 2000 men strong (giving the entire Corps around 16,000 troops).

The Infantry Regiment:

- 5 battalions of 600 men each

- 4 line battalions. Now, this will provide the regiment the full opportunity to for the standard French two rank line of battle (i.e. two battalions in the front rank, two in the rear). This will provide a good source of line security, and keep gaps closed.

- Each line battalion shall be composed of 6 infantry companies of one hundred men each, each commanded by a captain, which shall be divided along the American Civil War model (3 Officers, 15 NCOs, 72 privates).

- Then there is the so-called "reserve" battalion. This is a unique formation as it is an army in itself. It shall be composed of two companies of grenadiers, or other heavy units for assaults, and two light infantry companies, for flank support on marches, foraging, and skirmish formation. Now the other two companies will be artillery. That's right, artillery will be added to each unit. One company shall man 4 12-pdr guns, and 2 6-inch howitzers; the other company shall man 4 6-pdr guns, and 2 5.5-inch howitzers. Thus, each regiment shall have a twelve gun compliment, which as evidenced in many a Napoleonic and Civil War battle, is more than enough to satisfy a body of soldiers this large.

- Now, each soldier shall be armed with the famous Baker Rifle. Some of you might be saying "Wait! That isn't a French rifle! I thought you said NAPOLEONIC!" Well, it is, but it is British. Unfortunately, I have had to betray my famous hero Napoleon and go with the rifle which stopped Napoleon's best troops in their tracks at both long and short rangers (read about the Spanish campaigns and Waterloo and find out the effects of it.) Also, each man shall be required to know the use of the bayonet. Every man will also need to be able to march at least 30 miles a day, for in Napoleonic warfare, the key to victory is not to win battles by muskets and cannon, but by one's feet.

The Cavalry Regiment

- 4 squadrons (battalions) of 500 men each.

- 3 "line" battalions, of five companies, which will allow enough force behind a charge to render the enemy as always unsafe.

- 1 "reserve" squadron, with 3 companies of heavy cavalry (that is Dragoons, Grenadiers, etc.) for support and foraging, and 2 companies of artillery. One artillery company shall contain the same armament of the medium artillery company of the infantry regiment, 4 6-pdr guns, and 2 5.5-inch howitzers.

- Hussars shall be armed with sabers and pistols, lancers with, obviously, a lance, and dragoons with a short carbine musket and saber.

- Each cavalryman must be able to wield their weapons effectively through full drill, and keep their horses well and fit for battle, as much as possible.

Miscellaneous (Some things that might come up)

- In the infantry divisions, a brigadier general will serve as chief of staff of the division.

- The cavalry division is commanded by a brigadier general because of the common instance of a lower ranking general to command a cavalry division (though not always) and to distinguish the commanders of a unit (Plus, it fuels ambition, which can make men to great things on the battlefield; or worse things, but I'll take my chances).

- The staff of each higher unit is pretty much the same: an adjutant, a quartermaster, a commissary, a chaplain, ordinance officer, etc.

- This entire corps is the kind which could fight in the Napoleonic wars, although it could easily be tailored for other 19th, and even 20th century armies.

- Yes, despite it being called "Napoleonic", the corps has some components of other, later wars. But, if you think about it, many of the wars of the 19th century were Napoleonic, especially the Civil War (to deadly effect).

- A lieutenant colonel commands the reserve battalion because he can be on the filed more so than the regimental commander, yet can be protected. Plus, it contains more specialized units, and thus, theoretically, a lieutenant colonel has more experience and knowledge.

And that's the basic gist of it. Thus, Your Majesty, I humbly submit this to your approval, and am willing to take suggestions and questions from all concerned citizens and soldiers.

Good Evening To You, Your Majesty,

His Majesty of Nidaros has formulated a Plan for Your Consideration . . .

His Majesty of Nidaros, who is also His Holiness is working overtime in the capacity of a Military Expert . . .

And What A Military Expert He Is!!! . . .

This Plan Looks Rather Exemplary - Very Concise, Very Precise, Very Nice!!! . . .

Enjoy!!! . . .

Have an absolutely splendiferous evening . . . forthwith . . .