The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Gudrun

Declining flock costs Swedish Church 1bn kronor

The Swedish Church has lost almost a quarter of a million members in the last four years, resulting in a decline in income of over one billion kronor.

Last year 80,000 people cancelled their membership - the highest ever, according to Swedish Radio's Ekot programme.

One of the main reasons people give when they leave the church is the cost, which is based on individual earnings. Across the country the average membership charge - which includes the "funeral charge" - is around 1% of earnings but in some parishes it can be as high as 2%.

As Sunday's Church Election approaches, the Moderates have proposed a ceiling on the charge in an attempt to minimise departures.

But the Social Democrats' leader of the Church Assembly, Olle Burell, believes increased equality in the pulpit would help to keep the flock together.

"The church's own research clearly shows what we have long known - that the continued opposition to women priests is a major reason why people are leaving the Swedish church," he told Ekot.

All of the church's 7.2 million members who are over the age of 16 have the right to vote in Sunday's election.

Good Afternoon To You, My Gentle Friends,

It is a shame that any Church Membership should decline because of financial concerns . . .

I understand that Churches are in need of financial resources . . .

But the basis of Church Membership should not rest on the fact of one's financial ability to pay for the Membership . . .

Everyone should be free to worship the God of their heart and mind, regardless of their financial situation . . .

Have a most thoughtful afternoon . . . forthwith . . .

The funeral charge to the Swedish Church everybody has to pay, member or non-member. It's included in the local taxes anyway.

Only about 3% of the Swedish population attend church regularly. So it's odd that 70% of the population is a member of the Swedish Church.

Good Morning To You, My Gentle Friends,

Only 3% of the Swedish population attend Church regulaly, but 70% are Church Members??? . . .

That is very strange . . .

I don't understand why 70% of the population would be Church Members . . .

It is true that not all of listed Church Membes attend Church regularly, regardless of the religious faith origin . . .

But that statistic is most odd . . .

And another thing . . .

It is also very strange that a funeral tax is assessed to Church Members . . .

True, Churches do have funeral services for their members . . .

But usually, people pay the Church Clergy from their own resources . . .

However, since a tax is assessed to Church Members, perhaps they are not required to pay the Church Clergy from their own resources . . .

Hmmm . . .

This is definitely a different side of the coin to consider, My Gentle Friends . . .

Have a most thoughtful morning . . . forthwith . . .

Good Morning To You, Sir Vali,

We are just delighted that You have found a viable Internet Connection which will allow You to communicate with all of us here in this Great Nation of Stormark . . .

Hopefully this Internet Connection will keep Your affairs running smoothly, and You will be able to grace us with Your presence as Your time permits . . .

It is indeed wonderful to see Your Good Self among us again, Sir Vali!!! . . .

Have an absolutely splendiferous morning . . . forthwith . . .

Good Afternoon To You, My Gentle Friends,

'

O. K., O. K., the line forms to the left, please . . .

After Dame Gudrun . . .

I want a hug, too!!! . . .

Everyone who wants a hug from Sir Vali, get in line, please . . .

Come on now, no pushing, no shoving . . .

There . . . that's better . . .

Sir Vali will be here momentarily, to be sure . . .

Have an absolutely splendiferous afternoon . . . forthwith . . .

Good Evening To You, My Gentle Friends,

My, My, look how many people are in line for hugs from Sir Vali!!! . . .

What A Guy!!! . . .

Have an absolutely splendiferous evening . . . forthwith . . .

Hugs to you all smile.gif

There will within a few days be an election in Sweden for membership in the "legislature" of the Swedish Church. All members above the age of 16 are allowed to vote (about 60% of Sweden's population), and the legislature decides on theological matters. The next term homosexual marriages, the status of laymen and some renegade congregessions will probably remain to be hot issues.

You vote in parties to sit in the legislature. Most political parties have their own platforms, but usually there are apolitical groupings that tend to get the majority of the votes.

Few people vote. People in Sweden are so agnostic. (like me haha)

If I were a member of the church I'd probably vote anyway. But if you are a member of the Church you pay extra tax (besides from the funeral tax that everybody pays anyway...)

In an average Swedish municipality, Jokkmokk, you'd pay about 0.5% of your yearly income in funeral taxes, and if you're a member of the Church about 1.2% of your yearly income. 1.2% is quite alot...

Gracious, the Church is supposed to be a benevolent, kind, and supportive force in one's life . . .

Or so I thought . . .

Well, the Church in Sweden wants to tax the Church Member for a funeral tax, and then tax your income again??? . . .

Just to give you the right to vote on ecclesiastical matters??? . . .

I don't know . . .

Oh Well . . .

I suppose they have their reasons for the way things are done in that Country . . .

Have a most thoughtful evening . . . forthwith . . .

Oh, I almost forgot . . .

Thanks Ever So Much For The Hug!!! . . .

It is a shame that a Church, whose Primary Reason for being in existence is to promote the Love of the Lord our God, would choose monetary concerns over conerns of the Lord . . .

I find that issue to be rather disturbing . . .

Have a most thoughtful evening . . . forthwith . . .

Good Morning To You, My Gentle Friends,

Only 3% of the Swedish population attend Church regulaly, but 70% are Church Members???  . . .

That is very strange . . .

I don't understand why 70% of the population would be Church Members . . .

It is true that not all of listed Church Membes attend Church regularly, regardless of the religious faith origin . . .

But that statistic is most odd . . .

And another thing . . .

It is also very strange that a funeral tax is assessed to Church Members . . .

True, Churches do have funeral services for their members . . .

But usually, people pay the Church Clergy from their own resources . . .

However, since a tax is assessed to Church Members, perhaps they are not required to pay the Church Clergy from their own resources . . .

Hmmm . . .

This is definitely a different side of the coin to consider, My Gentle Friends . . .

Dame Ragnhild,

The Swedish Church was until recently the Established Church of Sweden. That's why its membership level is so high on paper.

Good Morning To You, Dame Gudrun,

I very much appreciate Your guidance about the manner in which the Nation of Sweden conducts their religious affairs . . .

Thank You So Very Much for that explanation of the Swedish Church . . .

I was not aware that it was the established Church of Sweden . . .

We even used to have a minister for church affairs, during the time of the establishment. One of the former ministers for church affairs is today the Vice-President of the European Commission (like the EU government sorta...). She's good and honest. l like her.

Good Morning To You, Sir Vali,

It is SO important to have honest and hard-working people in the political and religious areas of government, regardless of the national origin . . .

Yeah. She's the only major politician l know that has a blog on her official web-site (that she writes herself). So with her own words, not the words of her speech-writers, we can get an insight into her work and what she does for the peoples of Europe.