The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Thorvald Bjorklund

Inquiry

As I mentioned in my citizenship application, I would be interested in joining the armed forces of Stormark. Is there a naval infatry/marine type force here in Stormark? And what is the nature of this force if it does exist (i.e. its purpose, how they are organized, what kind of ranks they use)?

Edited by Thorvald Bjorklund

Thorvald Bjorklund,

Stormark indeed has a Naval Infantry/Marine Expeditionary branch and it is known as known as the Old Sea Companies. They are a part of the Imperial Navy but are able to operate seperately when needed. The Old Sea Companies actually are one of the oldest units of the armed forces, tracing their history back to the men I took with me from the Mysterious Isles to the Heartland to carry out the Conquest of the Heartland.

In spite of being a part of the Imperial Navy, however, the Old Sea Companies have the same rank structure as the Army.

Stormark is currently in the process of Naval Reform and as part thereof the Old Sea Companies will be re-built from scratch. You therefore have arrived at quite the right time and I think that we would be willing to delegate that task to you.

I will put a proposed Order in Council granting you a Commission before the High Council of the Realm. In the mean time you could talk to Rear Admiral Galinn Karisson of the House of Leirvik, Jarl of Sicilia, who has been tasked with the Naval Reform in general.

Your Majesty,

Thank you very much for the explanation, it was very, very informative. I also thank you for submitting my name for consideration for service in the Old Sea Companies, it would be an honor to serve.

I think the Old Sea Companies fit very much what I thought about their role. If possible, I would like the chance to help develop the OLC as a strong marine branch, perhaps add a self-contained brigade to each fleet for amphibious landings and vanguard operations (something like the US Marines or Spanish Marine Infantry). However, also make them a elite force capable of commando operations and tough training (as the Royal Marines or French marine commands). That is form brigades, regiments, companies which can operate as conventional marines, but at the same time serve as an elite special force branch prepared to carry out their raiding role (harkening back to their Norse origin).

Thorvald Bjorklund,

You are very welcome. I also very much like the plans you have for the Old Sea Companies and I think the High Council of the Realm would be most willing to let you implement them since that would lead to them becoming a formidable force, but also very much in accordance with their history and traditions.

Your Majesty,

I am most grateful for your words and for your confidence in this task. I shall set to work on a force structure in order to build a powerful amphibious force. Could I also attempt to create rank insignia and uniforms for this branch?

Could I also attempt to create rank insignia and uniforms for this branch?

Thorvald Bjorklund,

That would be great. Go ahead.