The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Thorvald Bjorklund

Background

So, as I am new to this, I wonder if anyone could impart some general facts or tid-bits about Vinland? That is culture, climate, history, things like that. It would be very helpful to start thinking about ideas.

Thorvald Bjorklund,

I will come up with some information for you about Vinland shortly.

The pleasure is all mine. :)

vinlandqt6.png

Vinland is covered by huge forests and is also known for its pristine beaches and rich fishing grounds. Several large bays distinctly shape its coast, and the capital of Vinland is situated at the largest of those bays. Vinland's climate, flora, and fauna are similar to that of Massachusetts.

The capital and seat of the jarl of Vinland is the city of Straumsfjordur. Vinland has 5,1 million inhabitants of which about one third lives in its capital. The rest of the population lives in smaller towns and villages. The population is about 80% Norse and 20% Native Vinlandish (Indians). Both groups appreciate one another and have adopted many of each other's customs.

Vinland was colonized by Vikings from a lost land known as Valtia but became independent after Valtia's destruction. It was ruled by a Council of Chieftains, both Norse and Native Vinlandish, until they voluntarily submitted to High King Harald about seven years ago.

Vinland has hundreds of dialects which are mixes of Old Norse and local Native Vinlandish tribal languages.

High Queen Sigrid, the Lady Wife Mortal of High King Harald, was born and raised in Vinland and is the daughter of the wealthy and powerful Royal Chieftain Magnus Gunnarson and the Valkyrie Geiravör.

Thorvald Bjorklund,

If you have anymore questions about Vinland, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Lady Astrid,

This is a most excellent presentation! I commend you most strongly for this summary, I feel as though I could be transported to Vinland right now and feel at home. I thank you once again.

Edited by Thorvald Bjorklund

Thorvald Bjorklund,

You are very welcome. I'm very glad that I could be of help and have contributed to you feeling at home in Vinland. :)

One more thing I would like to add. The official nickname of Vinland is the Far Away Land.

Ah, an excellent nickname! And your help is, indeed, greatly appreciated.

It's a pleasure to me to help you find your way in Stormark.:)

I feel as though Vinland could be something like Newfoundland, with a Norse base and a large Anglo-influence.

That would indeed be the right feel of Vinland.

I wonder if it would be proper to develop a government for Vinland? I'm thinking of something which combines the traditional Norse republicanism of our ancestors with something like the royal parliamentary nature of many Anglo-states (not to mention Stormark itself)? A bit contradictory on the surface, I grant you, but I see that the Storish people are quite a resourceful and innovative people!

I wonder if it would be proper to develop a government for Vinland?

Yes, it very much would. Go ahead. :)

I'm thinking of something which combines the traditional Norse republicanism of our ancestors with something like the royal parliamentary nature of many Anglo-states (not to mention Stormark itself)? A bit contradictory on the surface, I grant you, but I see that the Storish people are quite a resourceful and innovative people!

That combination would be quite cool indeed and would very much work for Vinland.

A bit contradictory on the surface, I grant you, but I see that the Storish people are quite a resourceful and innovative people!

Indeed we are. One of the unofficial mottos of Stormark is: "We do it our way". And we adhere to that motto irrespective of what others may think. Stormark may be Norse-inspired but we do not shy away from adapting traditions and customs from other cultures and incorporating them into our country if we are of the opinion that something will work for us.

I wonder if it would be proper to develop a government for Vinland? I'm thinking of something which combines the traditional Norse republicanism of our ancestors with something like the royal parliamentary nature of many Anglo-states (not to mention Stormark itself)? A bit contradictory on the surface, I grant you, but I see that the Storish people are quite a resourceful and innovative people!

Colonel Thorvald Bjorklund,

You have quite quickly gained insight into the workings of our country. :)

Thank you all for your support, it is very heartwarming. :)

One question I have is what the title of the ruling magistrate of Vinland is? I see that the High Law mandates Jarls, but as Vinland is titled a Viceroyalty on the forum, does that apply here as well?

One question I have is what the title of the ruling magistrate of Vinland is? I see that the High Law mandates Jarls, but as Vinland is titled a Viceroyalty on the forum, does that apply here as well?

The title of the ruling magistrate of Vinland is Jarl since Vinland constitutionally is a Jarldom, which nowadays is the only type of subdivision Stormark has. Vinland's style of Viceroyalty is a legacy of previous times.

In the past Stormark had a plethora of different types of subdivisions. including but not limited to, thanedoms, colonies, and autonomous countries which all very much differed in style.

When Stormark adopted a system of subdivisions with only Jarldoms and Dominions, the latter type of subdivisions has in the meanwhile been abolished too, it was decided that certain subdivisions such as the Duchy of Port Chloe and the Providence Plantations, the Viceroyalty of Vinland, the Viceroyalty of High Queen Hervör Isle, etc. would keep, while legally becoming Jarldoms, their traditional style for reasons of nostalgia. The person in charge of any such Jarldom, however, would always bear the title of Jarl to prevent any future clashes with titles held by the High King.

For example, one of His Majesty's titles is Duke of Port Chloe and the Providence Plantations. Lady Chloe, the person in charge of the Duchy of Port Chloe and the Providence Plantations, however, bears the title of Jarla of Port Chloe and the Providence Plantations.

For example, one of His Majesty's titles is Duke of Port Chloe and the Providence Plantations. Lady Chloe, the person in charge of the Duchy of Port Chloe and the Providence Plantations, however, bears the title of Jarla of Port Chloe and the Providence Plantations.

The same applies to the Duchy of the Vaan Aujoen: The High King is Duke of the Vaan Aujoen, Jarl Kaspar is Jarl of the Vaan Aujoen.

That makes perfect sense, and I commend you for your explanation, Lady Astrid, it was very thorough.

I propose, then, the following fictional background but real structure for the government of Vinland:

At the head of the government is the Jarl, as constitutionally mandated by the High Law of Stormark. As with many things in Vinland, the Jarl is also known to Anglo-Storish as the Governor, but this is an informal distinction. With the submission of Vinland to Stormark, the traditional noble monopoly over the island ended, and High King Harald's enlightened rule allowed a more inclusive culture in Vinland. As a result, the a special convention was elected by the people to determine the proper method of government in Vinland, balancing popular sovereignty while maintaining its strong bonds with the Storish motherland and its Norse roots. The solution was the creation of the Folketing (translated as the House of Assembly). The Folketing is composed of 400 members and elected for a term of two years, in order to ensure that the citizenry remains close to its representatives, while at the same time ensuring that numerous points of view can be heard. Although there are some professional politicians (as deputies receive a modest salary), the size of the body means that there are deputies of all types backgrounds, from lawyers and doctors to blacksmiths and fishermen. It is led by the Speaker (or Lawspeaker) elected from amongst the deputies to keep order in the Folketing.

To aid the Jarl in his administration, there is the Council of Vinland (a descendant of the Council of Chieftains), composed of commissioners, elected by the Folketing, who help to run various government agencies within Vinland as well as advise the Jarl on important appointments and decisions, and ex officio the chiefs of the major Native Vinlandish tribes to ensure fair policies towards these historic peoples. Laws are passed by the Folketing, excepting edicts which are meant to enforce Imperial laws and statutes, or decrees by the Jarl which are not overturned by a vote of the Folketing. While the High King retains the right to choose whomever her wishes for the position of Jarl, the Folketing traditionally nominates an individual to the post as a way to signify popular opinion to the Imperial Government. Although the Folketing cannot remove the Jarl, it can censure the Jarl if hisher behavior is considered unacceptable or illegal. Despite the independence of the Vinlandish people, the popularity of the High Realm is strong in Vinland, with public polls putting the approval of High King Harald in the 90% range.

(OOC: In reality, Vinland would be run like a normal Jarldom, so far as I understand it. Likely, no more than a few people will ever reside in Vinland, making the Assembly/Folketing just a simulated body --all citizens of Vinland would be entitled to a seat-- and the Imperial Government retaining its full rights over the territory. But this could be useful for a little more in depth simulation and character, that is, to establish something like the populist attitude of the New England states, the parliamentary culture of Newfoundland, and the Norse traditions of an Iceland or Greenland.)

Colonel Thorvald Bjorklund,

This proposal of yours is a real masterpiece!! Well done!!

That makes perfect sense, and I commend you for your explanation, Lady Astrid, it was very thorough.

Thank you, Colonel Thorvald Bjorklund. :)

I propose, then, the following fictional background but real structure for the government of Vinland:

It is a fine fictional background to an excellent, well-researched, and well-thought outstructure of government, which is both modern and ancient, just like Stormark.

I thank you both for your kind words, it was merely a few ideas which made sense given Vinland's legacy here and in the macronational world. My hope is to actually simulate the the government (at all levels), and even elections one day. And idea I've had is to, perhaps, have all of the citizens of Stormark join in and simulate a character and different political parties, so as to have a little fun and to have some exciting debates while not incurring the kind of vitriol which seems to characterize other micronations and many debates in the macro-world.

I'm also hoping to try and create some more non-mythical history, as well as develop new cities, towns, monuments, even develop the Native Vinlandish tribes to simulate the kinds of issues and ideas which have been at play in North American for centuries.

Also, how would one go about implementing such a political structure in Vinland?

Also, how would one go about implementing such a political structure in Vinland?

That would have to be done by decree of the Jarl since it is established practice that Jarls provide for the internal governance, at all levels, of the Jarldom. Of course, in accordance with the subordinate levels already provided by Althingi Law, such as Traditional Districts, Towns and Cities.

Vinland, however, is a Jarlless Jarldom so the implemention of a political structure would have to be done by means of an Instrument issued by the High King in His capacity of Jarl-at-Large of the Jarlless Jarldoms.

I have produced the a first draft of a constitution for Vinland. I have changed a few things for practicality sake, but the content is generally what I outlined before. Comments, suggestions, critiques, and ideas are welcomed, especially when it comes to language.

The Organic Law of the Viceroyalty of Vinland

Preamble

Whereas the Viceroyalty of Vinland is without proper governance;

And whereas the people of Vinland seek to assert their sovereignty over their own government;

And whereas the history of Vinland and the traditions of the Norse people call upon a just and fair order to promote the general good of the people;

Be it declared and enacted by the High King’s most Excellent Majesty this Organic Law of the Viceroyalty of Vinland.

Chapter 1: Fundamental Principles

Article 1: The Viceroyalty of Vinland is a Jarldom of the High Realm of Stormark, and is subject to the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark, its laws, and its authority.

Article 2: The motto of the Viceroyalty shall be, "In freedom, there is strength,” or in Norse, “Í frelsi er styrkur.”

Article 3: The Viceroyalty of Vinland affirms the rights and liberties of its citizens as defined by the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark.

Article 4: The Viceroyalty of Vinland shall be governed by three branches: the executive, legislative, and judicial branches.

Article 5: All powers not conferred upon the High King or High Queen, the High Council of the Realm, the Althing or other bodies defined in the High Law of the High Realm shall be reserved to the government of the Viceroyalty of Vinland.

Chapter 2: The Executive Branch

Article 1: The executive branch shall be composed of the Jarl of Vinland and the Executive Council of Vinland.

Article 2: The Jarl of Vinland shall be appointed by the High King of Stormark in the High Council of the Realm, shall hold office during at His Majesty’s pleasure, and shall serve as the High King’s representative in Vinland.

Article 3: In the event of a vacancy in the office of Jarl, the Jarl of Gularike shall act as Jarl of Vinland until a successor is appointed.

Article 4: The Jarl shall have such functions as may be prescribed by this Organic Law and any other law, and such other functions as are assigned to him or her by the High Law or other laws.

Article 5: The Jarl shall be responsible for the day-to-day government of the Viceroyalty and for implementing Imperial Law, whether Acts of the Althing, Orders-in-Council, or other Imperial Instruments, in the Viceroyalty.

Article 6: The Jarl may issue Viceroyal Edicts, which shall have the force of law, on matters of legislation which are empowered to the Jarldom by the High Law. Viceroyal Edicts may be overturned by the Legislative Assembly by a two-thirds majority vote.

Article 7: The Jarl shall serve as the Commander-in-Chief of the Vinland Defence Force, and head all other public security forces of Vinland which are not entrusted to the High Realm directly.

Article 8: The Jarl shall approve or veto all legislation which shall emanate from the Legislative Assembly. A veto by the Jarl may be overturned by a two-thirds majority vote of the Legislative Assembly.

Article 9: The Jarl shall appoint or remove officials of the Viceroyal government as defined by law, officers of the Vinland Defence Force, as well as the members of the Executive Council.

Article 10: The Executive Council (or Landsstýri in Norse) shall advise the Jarl on matters of policy and legislation within the Viceroyalty, and shall aid in the administration of the Viceroyalty of Vinland.

Article 11: The Executive Council shall be composed of the Premier (in Norse Løgmaður), and other members as proscribed by law. The leaders of the recognized Native Vinlander tribes shall serve as ex officio non-voting members of the Executive Council.

Article 12: The members of the Executive Council shall be appointed by the Jarl, and shall serve for the duration of the term of the Legislative Assembly. If the Legislative Assembly passes a motion of no confidence in a member of the Executive Council, said member shall be forced to resign.

Chapter 3: The Legislative Branch

Article 1: The legislative power of the Viceroyalty of Vinland shall be exercised by the Legislative Assembly of Vinland (Løgting in Norse), also known as the Assembly.

Article 2: The Legislative Assembly shall be composed of 250 deputies, elected by the eligible citizenry of Vinland through proportional representation for a term of six months. The Jarl may be empowered to fill vacancies in the Assembly for the remaining duration of a legislative term.

Article 3: A general election shall be held at such time after the Jarl has dissolved the Assembly, or the term of the Assembly shall end to constitute the Legislative Assembly. The Jarl, or an independent commissioner appointed by the Jarl, shall oversee general elections, and announce the results of an election.

Article 4: Subject to this Organic Law, and the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark, the Legislative Assembly may make laws for the peace, order, and good government of the Viceroyalty.

Article 5: All laws must be passed by a simple majority of the deputies of the Assembly.

Article 6: The Assembly shall be presided over by the Speaker, or a deputy speaker appointed by the Legislative Assembly in his or her absence. The Speaker shall be elected by a simple majority vote of the deputies for the term of the Assembly.

Article 7: The Assembly shall have the power to determine its own rules of order and procedure, so long as they do not conflict with the High Law or this Organic Law.

Article 8: Any public official of the Viceroyalty, excepting the Jarl, who is impeached, tried, and found guilty by the Assembly by a two-thirds majority vote of a serious crime shall be removed from office.

Article 9. The Assembly shall be allowed to nominate a candidate to the office of Jarl upon its vacancy for consideration by the High King. The Assembly shall also be allowed to censure the Jarl, by a two-thirds majority vote, if it is believed that the Jarl has committed offenses against the people of Vinland. The High King shall retain the ultimate right to appoint and remove the Jarl of Vinland at his pleasure.

Chapter 4: The Judicial Branch

Article 1: The administration of justice in the Viceroyalty of Vinland shall be entrusted to the Jarl of Vinland, as proscribed in the High Law, and other such courts as shall be laid down by law.

Article 2: Judges of lower courts shall be appointed by the Jarl and shall serve at the pleasure of the Jarl, unless a judge shall resign or be impeached and removed by the Assembly.

Article 3: All judgments of lower courts may be appealed to the Court of First Instance, headed by the Jarl, and may be appealed to the higher courts as defined by the High Law of the High Realm.

Chapter 5: Miscelleneous Provisions

Article 1: All patricians of Stormark resident in Vinland shall be entitled to vote in elections.

Article 2: This Organic Law shall be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of the Assembly, or an absolute majority vote of the voting citizenry of Vinland.