The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Galinn Karisson

Naval High Command

As we are now well into the reforms into our armed forces, I would like to begin on thoughts for the reform of the Imperial Navy.

One of the first things that comes to mind is, as in the Army, a need for a central high command for the administration of naval operations. I have given thought to the idea of a Naval General Staff composed of the following:

- Chief of the Imperial Naval General Staff

- Chief of Naval Operations (Command and Intelligence)

- Chief of Naval Ordinance (Weapons and Research)

- Chief of Naval Logistics and Supply (Construction, Supply, etc)

- Chief of Naval Personnel (Law, Human Resources, the Press, etc)

- The commanders of the various fleets

These are bare minimum suggestions, but I feel if we must standardize our forces, we should begin right at the top.

I would certainly support the idea of establishing a naval staff to oversee the management and operational deployment of the Imperial Navy, particularly as we now have two officers of flag rank who require appointments!

But my main concern with the Navy remains its size. In the six squadrons/carrier battle groups we have the kernel of an effective maritime force, but is arguably too small for us to maintain an adequate global presence; in addition, the current system of regional fleets needs to be revised to better reflect contemporary strategic realities. It may be that we need to consider initiating a new naval construction programme...and any such programme will need senior naval officers to supervise it.

Oh, to be sure, to be sure. Indeed, that is why my proposals hinge more upon operational and logistical support, rather than many different offices for show. Ironically, naval expansion was to be my next topic of discussion after a new command structure. But I feel we need officers in place to ensure we are able to oversee the expansion of the fleet, and obtain varying views where to put it, how to organize it, and even what tactics to implement given our expansive land and sea mass.

I am in complete agreement. And I think you are right to emphasise the large expanse of ocean we need our navy to cover; indeed, given the dispersed nature of Stormark's territory, I firmly believe that seapower must form the cornerstone of our overall military strategy.

I think that is the exact idea, spot on, Your Majesty. In essence, every micronation wants to be Prussia. However, we must face the fact the we are Britain, and we cannot master our defense until we can ensure our supply lines.

Also, if there are any suggestions concerning the idea of a naval high command, I welcome all to join in.

In terms of ranks and such, I would say that the Chief of the Imperial Naval General Staff should likely be an Admiral or Storadmiral, the heads of fleets being Viseadmirals, and the heads of the various departments being Kontreadmirals or Viseadmirals, but that is an informal guideline.

The question also arises of how to implement such a reform legally?

The question also arises of how to implement such a reform legally?

That should be done by Order in Council.

Instead of (or in addition to) the Commandant of Naval Infantry, you might want to include a Chief of Amphibious Forces (Vice Admiral) who would have overall responsibility for several Amphibious Task Groups (each commanded by a Rear Admiral).

Each Carrier Battle Group would usually be commanded by a Rear Admiral, or perhaps even a senior Commodore in certain circumstances.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. I shall begin a draft to be considered, with the addition of a Commandant of Naval Infantry.

Excellent!! :)

Instead of (or in addition to) the Commandant of Naval Infantry, you might want to include a Chief of Amphibious Forces (Vice Admiral) who would have overall responsibility for several Amphibious Task Groups (each commanded by a Rear Admiral).

Each Carrier Battle Group would usually be commanded by a Rear Admiral, or perhaps even a senior Commodore in certain circumstances.

That is one excellent suggestion indeed.

Indeed! I thought of the ranks before we began discussing ideas about CBGs (or squadrons), but I was also thinking that such units would be commanded by Rear Admirals.