Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

I've been overruled

humlebkislandarms2.png

HUMLEBÆK Ø LAGTHING

The Assembly of Law of Humlebæk Island

A Resolution and an Order of the Assembly

ON THE MINUTES

COUNCILLOR ULRIGSSEN: The following councillors were present on the adoption of the Resolution and the Order of the Assembly (H-LT-R-21 and H-LT-O-349) on 22 Glitnir 10: Bjørn Alverssøn i Hovshave, chairing, Peder Alexander Ulrigssen, secretary, Anne Eds, Hanne Steen, Jond Arvig, Kåre Pål i Slussen, Maj Svendsdatter fra Åen and Thor i Idunnergab. The Jarl of Humlebæk Island also participated in the debate on Item 21 of the Agenda. Councillor Kola Vippen was absent.

ON THE BACKGROUND TO BOTH RESOLUTION AND ORDER

In the name of the People of Humlebæk Island

COUNCILLOR HOVSHAVE: Following the visit of the High Justiciar Lady Unna of Skálavík to the court of Daniel jarl posing Daniel the question if he had a jarlish hird at his disposal, it has been reported that His Majesty the High King remarked “there may still be some commies on the loose”. Daniel jarl subsequently informed the Secretariat of his intention to, within Humlebækker law, establish a noble hird in the name of himself and his lineage. The Secretariat, finding that there are no laws on personal hirds within the Humlebækker legal system, forwarded the question to this Assembly of Law.

A RESOLUTION ON THE ESTABLISHMENT OF HIRDS

H-LT-R-21

Adopted by Humlebæk Ø Lagthing on 22 Glitnir 10

While Article 11 of the Law of the Army and the Fleets (LAF) states that Daniel jarl, as a noble, have an Udall Law right to raise and maintain a hird, a right codified in the now abolished high law Instrument of Rights and Liberties, any such attempt to raise or maintain a hird would not only constitute a breach of peace, law and order, but also be an act abominable to the High Law, and in essence it shall be considered a treasonous act.

We believe that our Military Forces [...] stand ready and able to serve Stormark, and to proudly defend our Citizens from any unjust provocation.[HL Preamble]

This extract from the Preamble maintains that the purpose any and all military forces in Stormark are subject to the defence of the citizenry at large, and shall be interpreted not for the advancement of any singular person.

The High King [...] shall be [...] Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, on land and on sea, in air and in space, of the High Realm. [HL Ch 1, Art IV.]

The High King is the sole commander in chief of Stormark.

The powers of the High Realm to [...] declare war and peace [...], institute a police force or militia to execute the laws of the land, suppress rebellions and insurrections, and repel invasions [...] shall be solely and exclusively vested in the unicameral Althing. [HL Ch 3, Art I]

Even if the LAF grants nobles the right for nobles to, outside of the imperial forces, have an army of their own, only the Althing has the right to institute a militia. It cannot, thus, delegate the instituting of a militia to nobles. A hird is, by its very own definition, a militia.

No person can in any case be subject to law-martial, by virtue of that law, except those employed in the army or navy, and except the militia in actual service, but by authority of the Althing.[HL Ch 5, Art IX]

Similarly, only by the authority of the Althing may any person be employed in any militia of any kind within Stormark.

The above-produced resolution was passed with four votes in favour (Hovshave, Slussen, Steen, Idunnergab), three votes against (Ulrigssen, Eds, Arvig) and with one vote of abstention (Åen). Councillor Kola Vippen was absent from both debate and vote.

Bjørn Alverssøn i Hovshave (chairing)

Peder Alexander Ulrigssen (secretary)

ORDER

H-LT-O-349

Ordered by Humlebæk Ø Lagthing on 22 Glitnir 10

The following 349th Order of Lagthing is based on the Resolution on the Establishment of Hirds (H-LT-R-21) adopted by the same Lagthing on the same date as the issuance of this Order:

1. No person within the jurisdiction of the jarldom of Humlebæk Island shall institute a personal militia or hird.
  2. No person within the jurisdiction of the jarldom of Humlebæk Island shall join any paramilitary group, militia or hird that is not explicitly authorized by the High Law and the by the institutions that the High Law establishes.
  3. Any person within the jurisdiction of the jarldom of Humlebæk Island who violates section (1) of this Order shall be sentenced to the loss of civil rights for a fixed period of four years.
  4. Any person within the jurisdiction of the jarldom of Humlebæk Island who violates section (2) of this Order shall be sentenced to the loss of civil rights for a fixed period of six Asgard months.
  5. This Order enters operation upon its publication in Øens Avis.

This order was passed with four votes in favour (Hovshave, Slussen, Steen, Idunnergab), three votes against (Ulrigssen, Eds, Arvig) and with one vote of abstention (Åen). Councillor Kola Vippen was absent from both debate and vote.

Bjørn Alverssøn i Hovshave (chairing)

Peder Alexander Ulrigssen (secretary)

Well guys... the islanders got worried and placed a cease and desist order on me and teh rest of the island!

Bad memories from the revolution are acting up? Or are they scared that your hird would become a tool for oppression? ;)

Bad memories from the revolution are acting up? Or are they scared that your hird would become a tool for oppression? ;)

Hahaha!! :lol:

Jarl Daniel,

The High Realm will temporarily provide for this matter by assigning fifty Storish soldiers to you for protective and ceremonial duties until this matter has been sorted out.

Lady Sigrdrífa,

I suppose I underestimated the ever-present wounds from King Torkel's abuse of power and the revolution that followed. The legislators on the island are very afraid, it seems, of anything armed or anything that could ever be considered an abuse of power and oppression of the free people of the island. We (especially I) will have to tread very carefully. The wounds have still not healed.

High King Harald,

I thank you for that most elegant solution. I really hope we can work things out for the benefit of Stormark and of this island.