The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
High King Harald

Houses of the High Realm

Your Majesty,

You mean about the subjugation of the Jarldoms to the laws of the Houses they belong to?

That's what I suggested, Lady Unna, but I believe the Lord High Justiciar disagreed :)

Ah, yes, I remember now.

How do you like the Lawbook so far?

I did, indeed disagree with the idea. But, I'll try and articulate my disagreement in a more articulate manner. The idea of the Houses stemmed from an idea to create a sort of sub-culture within Stormark. As identitified in the High Law, it was meant as a cultural idea, and stemmed into politics only as a rudimentary form of political parties (using the absolute broadest definition of the term). As well, they seemed to try and represent the tribal nature of early Vikingdom, that is, chiefs over other elders culminating in kings and high kings. On the one hand, that idea could actually support our subjugating jarldoms to the Houses of the Realm. Yet, the difference between the way the Vikings did it and the way we do it is, despite our Viking veneer, we have a conventional administration of government, that is, governors ruling over fixed provinces. Really, while Houses did seem to collect principalities over time, it was an informal type of collection. Imagine if the head of the House of Habsburg was able to have legal control over literally every realm which a Habsburg ruled at a given time, the whole of Europe would have been ruled by the Emperor of Austria! Now, perhaps in a more local sense the House system for political administration makes sense, lower chiefs under the administration of a high chief. But that was set up for a time and a place where your survival depended upon choosing the right chief; we don't have that problem here.

To me, by creating this whole structure by which we put Jarldoms under the Houses just creates one more level of bureaucracy. We can see how the house system turned out in Shireroth, I wouldn't want to see anything like it happen here because we begin to cross different areas of micronational society. We might as well just collect Jarldoms into realms, or smaller kingdoms if we want to introduce a whole other level of political administration. At least someone would hold office by virtue of purely administrative skills, and not because they started a small House some time ago.

Sign in to follow this