The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Sigrdrífa the Priestess

[Folkvanger] Jarlstekja: Investiture of Daniel Audonarson of Aniara

offeringlady.gif

Jarlstekja: Investiture of Daniel Audonarson of Aniara

In the main ceremonial hall in the centre of the temple complex dedicated to the Lady Freyja which is known as Sessrumnir, a large motley crowd of people has gathered. Sessrumnir is located in the City of Folkvanger, the capital of the Jarldom of Freyja's Necklace, and is the most holiest place in all of the High Realm of Stormark. The people have flocked to Sessrumnir to attend the Investiture of Daniel Farewell of the Noble House of Aniara as Jarl of Freyja's Necklace and are currently awaiting the arrival of Lady Stormarksgythia Sigrdrífa the Priestess who will lead the Investiture Ceremony.

Sessrumnir is a huge temple complex consisting of many buildings which house countless rooms and chambers. It is of unmatched beauty and magnificence, surpassing even the Temple of Love on Hnossa Isle in Stormark's capital, the Imperial City of Haraldsborg. Only female priestesses, who are said to have been handpicked by the Lady Freyja herself, may work here.

Then the Lady Stormarksgythia enters the hall, followed by two assistants and several senior members of the archroyalty of Freyja's Necklace who carrying the symbols of the office of Jarl of Freyja's Necklace. All of them are dressed in magnificent white gold-embroided ceremonial robes made of the finest wool and linen available. They walk to the Sacred Perimeter within the center of the main ceremonial hall which is cordoned off with a golden rope. Inside the Sacred Perimeter an altar made of amber and a throne are standing. One of the assistants opens the rope perimeter to let the Lady Stormarksgythia, the senior members of the Archroyalty of Freyja's Necklace, the other assistant and herself into the Sacred Perimeter; As soon as all are in, she re-closes the rope perimeter.

Then the Jarl of Freyja's Necklace, Daniel Audonarson of the House of Aniara, enters the hall......

quietly, yet suprised with how many people who have shown up. Daniel walks up to perimeter where the Stormarksgyðja is.. He greets her with a light bow, and awaits the next step of the ceremony.

offeringlady.gif

As soon as Daniel Audonarson of Aniara is sighted by the crowd, they burst into a long-lasting sponteneous applause which lasts until long after the Jarl of Freyja's Necklace has reached the Sacred Perimeter in the center of the main ceremonial hall, let into the Sacred Perimeter by an assistent of the Lady Stormarksgythia, and taken his place between the throne and the amber altar facing the crowd. When the applause finally has died down, the Lady Stormarksgythia turns to the crowd.

"Dear Friends, we are gathered here today in this House of the Lady Freyja to witness, under auspices of the Lady of Life and Love, a very solemn occasion: the investiture of a new ruler of these most holy isles which have been known since time immemorial as Freyja's Necklace. Before I proceed any further, I would like to ask you all a very important question. Do you accept Daniel Audonarson of the House Aniara as Jarl of Freyja's Necklace? Is he in your eyes fit to govern the most sacred isles of the Lady of the Vanir? Do you deem him worthy to sit on the Brísengamen Throne?"

The crowd responds with a loud affirmative roar that is so forceful that it almost blows the roof of the main ceremonial hall off. The Lady Stormarksgythia then turns to the Jarl of Freyja's Necklace.

"Daniel Audonarson of Aniara, do you wish to proceed to the investiture ceremony? If so or if not, please explain to the crowd why you wish so."

Turning toward the crowd, Daniel calls out: "Thank you! Now, having heard your acclamation... I will do my utmost in providing for your welfare, your rights and will do my all for you. Lady Stormarksgythia, I cannot with good conscience, after having accepted to be the jarl, nor after the acclamation of the people's representatives, say no to the people. For them I must continue with this ceremony!"

offeringlady.gif

The crowd cheers after it has heard Daniel Audonarson of Aniara declare his acceptance of the Jarlship of Freyja's Necklace. The Lady Stormarksgythia turns to the crowd.

"People of Freyja's Necklace, Rejoice! Daniel Audonarson of the House Aniara has accepted the Jarlship of these most sacred isles of the Lady of the Vanir. The Brísingamen Throne, empty since Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir's departure, is occupied again. The Ship of State of Freyja's Necklace has a new commander. The herd of the people of the Brísingamen Jarldom is no longer without a shepard."

Once again the crowd cheers, this time even louder.

The Lady Stormarksgythia then takes an massive gold oath ring of her arm. The sacred ring is a gift from High King Harald and is said to have been made from golden tears of of joy from Freyja that she cried when she witnessed Harald, her lover, being coronated High King of Stormark. She raises the oath ring in the air and exclaims:

"Freyja!
Loving goddess of war,
Warring godess of love;

Vanadis! - Valkyrie and Dis,
Deadly goddess of life,
Life-giving goddess of death;

Gullveig! - Gefion!
Greedy goddess of giving,
Giving goddess of receiving;

Hail to you, Freyja,
Sorrowing goddess of ecstasy,
Searching goddess - show Jarl Daniel Audonarson of Aniara the way."

Lady Sigrdrífa then lowers the oath ring and turns to the Jarl of Freyja's Necklace.

"Daniel Audonarson of the House Aniara, put your hands on this oath ring and repeat after me:

"I, Daniel Audonarson of the House Aniara, with the Lady Freyja and all gathered here as witnesses, solemnly swear upon this sacred ring that I shall, to the best of my abillity, fulfill the office of Jarl of the Brísingamen Jarldom, with all the duties and responsibilities that follow from it. I shall, at all times, strengthen our way, bring reconciliation within the community of Freyja's Necklace, and uphold and transmit our lore and culture; keep the law and moderation and the good way; respect the pact made by our ancestors with the Lady of the Vanir; keep frith with all hidden wights: landspirits, elves, disir, dwarves, trolls and giants.

And I shall do so, so long as the fire burns, the wind blows, and the waters flow to the sea; so long as the sun shines, and the soil yields harvest; so long as a mother nurtures her child, and men tend the fields; so long as fires flame, ships sail, and the sun melts the snow; so long as people live in midgard, and the heavens turn; so long as the fir tree grows, the fish swim, the stag runs, and the falcon flies in the long day of Spring; and may the straight winds ever bear up her wings.

And I solemnly declare that I take this oath willingly with no reservations.""

Daniel turned to the crowd once more and called out... "I, Daniel Audonarson of the House of Aniara, with the Lady Freyja and all gathered here as witnesses, solemnly swear upon this sacred ring that I shall, to the best of my abillity, fulfill the office of Jarl of the Brísingamen Jarldom, with all the duties and responsibilities that follow from it. I shall, at all times, strengthen our way, bring reconciliation within the community of Freyja's Necklace, and uphold and transmit our lore and culture; keep the law and moderation and the good way; respect the pact made by our ancestors with the Lady of the Vanir; keep frith with all hidden wights: landspirits, elves, disir, dwarves, trolls and giants.

And I shall do so, so long as the fire burns, the wind blows, and the waters flow to the sea; so long as the sun shines, and the soil yields harvest; so long as a mother nurtures her child, and men tend the fields; so long as fires flame, ships sail, and the sun melts the snow; so long as people live in midgard, and the heavens turn; so long as the fir tree grows, the fish swim, the stag runs, and the falcon flies in the long day of Spring; and may the straight winds ever bear up her wings.

And I solemnly declare that I take this oath willingly with no reservations."

He now smiled to the crowd with relief and wondered what next was happening

offeringlady.gif

After Jarl Daniel has taken the oath, the Lady Stormarksgythia walks to the altar and lies the oath ring on a red silk pillow. One of her assistants hands Lady Sigrdrífa a burning torch. She then walks along the golden rope that encircles the sacred perimeter.

"Through time and tide, through waters wide,
by blood and bone, by stock and stone,
by breath and breeze, by fire that frees.

Fire I carry round this golden rope,
and bid men to keep the peace.
Light I carry for enclosing,
and bid ill wights flee away.

Mighty Thor hallow,
Mighty Thor hallow,
Mighty Thor hallow this sacred space.

Fire I carry round the sacred perimeter,
and bid men to keep the peace.
Light I carry for enclosing,
and bid outlaws flee away.

Mighty Thor hallow,
Mighty Thor hallow,
Mighty Thor hallow this sacred space.

Mighty Thor hallow,
Mighty Thor hallow,
Mighty Thor hallow this sacred space."

When the Lady Stormarksgythia has walked the sacred perimeter, she gives the burning torch back to the assistant. Her other assistant hands her a silver vessel containing apple juice. The juice has been extracted from apples from the stockpile of Idunn's apples from the Temple of Youth on Apple Isle, an island in the Blue River belonging to the Imperial City of Haraldsborg.

Lady Sigrdrífa walks up to the part of the altar where the symbols of Freyja's Necklace's Jarlship are lying. They consist of ancient sacred artifacts once owned by the rulers of the several ancient former petty kingdoms of which the Brísingamen Jarldom is made up of. There are seven of those sacred artifacts:

The sword of state of the kings of Yrjar;

An ancient cermonial shield from the kings of Storadal;

A ritual ring from the kings of Rogaland;

A copy of the Brísingamen from the rulers of Gautland;

A key ring with golden keys from the jarls of Hrísey;

A feather cloak from the jarls of Nyøerne; and

A closed drinking horn from the kings of Fjordane.

She then sprinkles the juice made from Idunn's apples on the seven symbols of Freyja's Necklace's Jarlship.

"Hail to the Lady Freyja!
Hail to the Lady of the Vanir!
Hail, you to whom we are trú!
To you, we lift our eyes;
To you, we extend our hands;
To you, we open our hearts;
To you we raise our voices!
Hail! Hail! Thrice, Hail!"

The Lady Stormarksgythia walks up to Jarl Daniel and also sprinkles him with the juice made of Idunn's apples.

"May kindly wights of worlds all nine,
Protect you from harm,
Good food with mirth and friendship bring,
For wholesomeness and health.

May all who sojourn wisdom win.
May fair things freely grow.
May joy and laughter, frith and love,
Your reign's hallmarks be.

May life grant you always,
A sunbeam to warm you,
a moonbeam to charm you,
a sheltering Dis so nothing can harm you.
Laughter to cheer you,
Faithful friends near you,
And whenever you pray, the Lady Freyja to hear you."

Then it is time for the Jarl of Freyja's Necklace, Daniel Audonarson of the House Aniara, to invoke the Lady Freyja......

Daniel is looking very serious now. This is serious matter...

He gulps... and then says rather quietly, but still audibly:

"Goddess... Vanadrotning. I ask you of this, I ask that I would be in your thoughts, that a drop of your wisdom will come to me as I rule these your islands. In my dreams, may we talk, may we see each other and may I serve you as best as I can. O, Vanadrotning, give me strength."

offeringlady.gif

In a blinding flash of golden light, the Lady Freyja appears before Jarl Daniel and gives him a long warm hug. The Lady of the Vanir then looks him deep into the eyes.

"Daniel, you are a unique individual destined to rule my most holy islands. A courageous person committed to the highest ideals of justice and dedicated to the preserving of the lore and culture of this Jarldom. Out where frith lies, you will go. Out beyond this barren surround, bound to survive against all odds. There's a long long way ahead of you, but when you finally get there, things will turn out right!

What you have wished for, you will now be given!"

The Lady of Vanir then raises her right hand and sends a bolt of golden energy to Jarl Daniel.

offeringlady.gif

"Dearest Daniel, I filled you with my essence, my presence, and my soothing touch spilling over your grateful cup washing away the fatigue of the day and blessing you on your long way", the Lady Freyja intones warmly.

Smiling lovingly one last time at Jarl Daniel, the Lady Freyja vanishes in a burst of golden magic filling him and all others present with joy, warmth, and contentment.

The Lady Stormarksgythia then invites Jarl Daniel Audonarson of Aniara to walk to the golden throne that is standing in the Sacred Perimeter.

Daniel walks toward the throne and stays standing near it, overlooking the crowd. Awaiting a sign from the Stormarksgythia, he thinks about this momentous day.

offeringlady.gif

The seven senior members of the Archroyalty of the Brísingamen Jarldom, seven in number and all the senior descendants of the ancient rulers of the several petty kingdoms which constitute the Jarldom of Freyja's Necklace, are set to be called forward by the Lady Stormarksgythia to do their part of the Jarlstekja. All of them will pay homage to the new Jarl of the Brísingamen Jarldom. Each of them will also invest Jarl Daniel with an ancient sacred artifact once owned by their ruling ancestors but now part of the symbols of Jarlship of Freyja's Necklace.

The seven senior Archroyals of the Brísingamen Jarldom are:

Jarl Hrossbjörn Ingjaldsson, the senior descendant of the ancient Kings of Yrjar;

Jarla Arnfríðr Redcloak, the senior descendant of the ancient Kings of Storadal;

Jarl Ketill Broken-shell, the senior descendant of the ancient Kings of Rogaland;

Jarla Drífa Bjæringsdottir, the senior descendant of the ancient rulers of Gautland;

Jarl Tryggve the Old, the senior descendant of the ancient rulers of Hrísey;

Jarl Brígiða Hjorleifsdottir, the senior descendant of the ancient rulers of the Nyøerne;

Jarla Hallveig the Huntress, the senior descendant of the ancient Kings of Fjordane.

The Lady Stormarksgythia then calls forward Jarl Hrossbjörn Ingjaldsson, the senior descendant of the ancient Kings of Yrjar. One of Lady Sigrdrífa's assistants takes the sword of state of the kings of Yrjar from the altar and gives it to Jarl Hrossbjörn Ingjaldsson. He then walks up to Jarl Daniel and bows deeply.

"Your Grace, I am Jarl Hrossbjörn Ingjaldsson of the House of Båtsfjord, I come from an ancient family of mighty rulers of one of the ancient kingdoms of the Brísingamen Jarldom, the Kings of Yrjar. May I, your humble servant, invest you in the name of the Lady of the Vanir with the sword of state of my ancestors? With this most ancient sword you are to defend the people and the ways of the most sacred isles of Freyja's Necklace. If necessary, find your way to it quickly and use it well."