The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Jonas

Religious Convention

*The Count of Lannion looked down on the people who entered the throne room of his castle. One after one, they entered the room: clerics, important politicians and some representatives of the City State of Pentapolis (the city wasn't independent anymore, but enjoyed a lot of autonomy within Batavia). The Count stood up and spoke to the people who were present at that moment:*

"Dearest beloved,

Here, in my hand, I hold a letter of Archbishop of the Batavian Catologian Church. He asked me to start a convention together with representatives of other religions within Stormark. My goal is to create a Stormarkian Catologian Church, which communicates with the Batavian Catologian Church and will have its own Bishops (allright, Bishop is the official name but the local church can give it a name which they are more used to).

Public opinions are that we should try to talk with the followers of Freyja first. I would like to seek out who the representatives of that religion are and if they want to discuss a possible integration into a Stormarkian Catologian Church."

OOC:

Since the new constitution came into force, your title of office is no longer Count of Lannion but Jarl of Gascony and the Ancient Marches. High King Harald is the Duke of Gascony and the Ancient Marches but that is an Imperial Title.

OOC:

Since the new constitution came into force, your title of office is no longer Count of Lannion but Jarl of Gascony and the Ancient Marches. High King Harald is the Duke of Gascony and the Ancient Marches but that is an Imperial Title.

My apologies, My Lady, the news came a bit late. :whistling:

Err... the Jarl of Lannion! :thumbsup:

A messenger from the High Priestess of the Temple of Love arrives at the throne room of the castle of the Jarl of Lannion. She then walks up to the Jarl of Lannion and hands him a note.

offeringlady.gif

Communiqué by the High Priestess of the Temple of Love

The Temple of Love hereby informs the Jarl of Lannion that it has accepted his invitation to discuss a possible integration religion known as the Ancient Ways into a Stormarkian Catologian Church.

Signed,

The Lady Principal Stormarksgythia

High Priestess of the Temple of Love

Head of the Wyrd of Midgard Hof in Stormark.

I'm glad to hear this wonderful news, My Lady! Are there others who represent your religion and need to give their permission?

Otherwise we could start discussing. I'm more then curious what You expect from the Church: would it be a problem to have Bishops (who can be female) as representatives of your religion? E.g.: one of the bishops can act as a representative of the Stormarkian Catologian Church and having been appointed by the Archbishop and nominated by the other (Stormarkian) Bishops.

Are there others who represent your religion and need to give their permission?

No, not at all.

Otherwise we could start discussing. I'm more then curious what You expect from the Church: would it be a problem to have Bishops (who can be female) as representatives of your religion? E.g.: one of the bishops can act as a representative of the Stormarkian Catologian Church and having been appointed by the Archbishop and nominated by the other (Stormarkian) Bishops.

That wouldn't be a problem at all. The Stormarkian "bishops" would, of course, keep their traditional titles.

That wouldn't be a problem at all. The Stormarkian "bishops" would, of course, keep their traditional titles.

That wouldn't be a problem. I would find it terrible that the Church destroys culture instead of creating it! :)

Lady Stormarksgyðja,

Lord Archbishop,

With your permission I would like to join in, on behalf of Aniara and the faith that is within its (fictional) membership.

offeringlady.gif

Communiqué by the High Priestess of the Temple of Love

The Temple of Love hereby informs the Jarl of Freyja's Necklace that he is welcome join in the discussions on a possible integration religion known as the Ancient Ways into a Stormarkian Catologian Church.

Signed,

The Lady Principal Stormarksgythia

High Priestess of the Temple of Love

Head of the Wyrd of Midgard Hof in Stormark.

*Without any hesitation, the Archbishop speaks:*

Lord Daniel, it would be an honour for the Catologian community if you join us (in these talks).

A more or less political question: Lady Principal Stormarksgythia, how many Bishops would you think that Stormark should need (based on the number of followers,...)? Batavia has three, including myself as Archbishop.

On another matter, if there's nothing else to do, we should start the convention (in which everyone can make demands, ask questions, etc.). :hearts-color:

A more or less political question: Lady Principal Stormarksgythia, how many Bishops would you think that Stormark should need (based on the number of followers,...)? Batavia has three, including myself as Archbishop.

How many followers per bishop are there?

On another matter, if there's nothing else to do, we should start the convention (in which everyone can make demands, ask questions, etc.). :hearts-color:

Indeed. Let's start the Religious Convention!

How many followers per bishop are there?

Indeed. Let's start the Religious Convention!

The fact is that this isn't arranged, atleast not in Batavia, with a system per follower: there were three people volunteering, so we created three bishoprics. I just wanted to know how you would like to do it here. We could just say that all your important priestesses become bishops. :)

I agree, let's get started. The number of bishops or goðar/gyðjur can be decided upon at a later date.

Indeed, Lord Daniel! But my apologies if I use 'bishop' instead of gooar... it's too hard for me to remember and type. :P

More seriously, could someone give me a summary of what Frejya is, what makes her so important, some little facts that are important, etc.

Such things should I want to know.

At the moment I have following proposal: the Stormarkian Catologian Church will recognise the most important 'rules': Cato shaped the universe. But He didn't interfere directly, instead he created the Gods.

Batavian Catologists are often more detailed about it: they assume that Cato was 'everything' and 'nothing'. He created, within himself, the universe. Between the universe, He created some of the Ancient Gods, which afterwards made children or indirectly were responsible for the creation of new Gods.

Interference of Cato is rare for several reasons: one, Cato is a bored God and it doesn't happen much that he descends to the World of the Gods or to Micras. He prefers to watch the show and sees what happens (which is television for Him, and the other Gods are his deus ex machina if necessary). Secondly, direct interference of Cato could seriously disturb the universe, as he has immense powers, so he doesn't do it very much.

I once made this image to explain (it's in dutch):

ontstaan.gif

Alles / niets = everything / nothing (so, Cato).

Heelal = universe

Godenwereld = World of the Gods

I thought: I will explain the Batavian version, because it perhaps could be used by the Stormarkian Catologian Church. The SCC can, of course, show more attention to what Frejya did afterwards (the universe was created, yes, but it could still be quite empty at that moment, isn't it? ;) ). Or perhaps Frejya is a young God, so not an Ancient God who existed from the beginning. This doesn't mean that she is less important.

More seriously, could someone give me a summary of what Frejya is, what makes her so important, some little facts that are important, etc.

I will come up with that shortly.

• There is no singular divine power, nor one singular antidivine power; rather there are several powers of divine character which make the universe what it is, reacts with it and with all things.

• There are numerous divine powers which in human minds are anthropomorphized for sake of tradition and understanding. The anthropomorphized divinities are called gods and goddesses who have different personalities and with whom, we believe, we can form personal relationships.

• We believe that the world as we see it is far more complex than it seems; aside from gods and goddesses there are also lesser divinities…

Some gods and goddesses we interact with, worship and have personality with are these:

BALDER, God of light, love, beauty and protection in bad dreams.

BRAGE, God of poetry and skalds, literature, the arts

ER, Goddess of help, medicine, healing and mercy

FORSÆTE, God of justice and reconciliation and of making peace.

FRIGGJ, Goddess of motherness, of motherly love

FRÖ, God of farming, of fertility, male sexuality, and weather

FRÖJA Goddess of fertility and female sexuality

Sister of Frö

GÆVJUN, Goddess of fertility, ploughing, Protector of the innocent ones, clean ones, and naive

GNÅ, Goddess of emergencies and ergent messages

HEMDALL, m God of heavens, skies and clouds, and the realm there. God of skills, artistry and culture and society

IDUN, Goddess of youth, fruits and long life

LOKE, Shape-shifter god

LOMN, Goddess of comfort and rest

MIME, God of wisdom, history

NANN, Goddess of grief

NJARD, God of sea and that of which lives in sea, of fishing and bounty

OD, God of inspiration, frenzy and ideas

ODEN, God of prophesies, and life and death, One of the creators of humanity

SIV, Goddess of contracts, marriage, will and the making of relationships.

SIGYN, Goddess of criminals, for redress and mercy.

SJOMN, Goddess of love, of enamoury...

SOL, goddess of warmth, the Sun, harvest

SKADE, Goddess of winters, of sleep, and cold; of death, Of mountains

TOR, God of mankind, protector... of lightning and storms

VIDAR, god of memory, trauma, vengeance

VILJE, god of intelligence, knowledge

VÆ, god of senses

• There is no singular divine power, nor one singular antidivine power; rather there are several powers of divine character which make the universe what it is, reacts with it and with all things.

So, you mean that there is no single God, nor just one devil.

This is no problem within the Catologian faith. The Stormarkian Church can easily chose to use this concept. The story about Cato allows much freedom: some will follow the ideals of Cato who interferes whole the time or single handedly interacts, others can chose to believe in much more Gods (and just see Cato as an overviewer who doesn't really interacts).

For the Stormarkian Church I just have to add to this that your fellow believers follow your ideas. It's important that at least the Stormarkian Catologian Church has a story which is supported by a majority of its members (but I don't think these ideas really clash with those of the followers of Freyja, who simply focus on worshipping one Goddess.

• There are numerous divine powers which in human minds are anthropomorphized for sake of tradition and understanding. The anthropomorphized divinities are called gods and goddesses who have different personalities and with whom, we believe, we can form personal relationships.

That's something that is also in the Batavian version (just to let you know that that would surely not be a problem :) ).

• We believe that the world as we see it is far more complex than it seems; aside from gods and goddesses there are also lesser divinities…

This can develop in some good stories, I assume. ;)

Some gods and goddesses we interact with, worship and have personality with are these:

BALDER, God of light, love, beauty and protection in bad dreams.

BRAGE, God of poetry and skalds, literature, the arts

ER, Goddess of help, medicine, healing and mercy

FORSÆTE, God of justice and reconciliation and of making peace.

FRIGGJ, Goddess of motherness, of motherly love

FRÖ, God of farming, of fertility, male sexuality, and weather

FRÖJA Goddess of fertility and female sexuality

Sister of Frö

GÆVJUN, Goddess of fertility, ploughing, Protector of the innocent ones, clean ones, and naive

GNÅ, Goddess of emergencies and ergent messages

HEMDALL, m God of heavens, skies and clouds, and the realm there. God of skills, artistry and culture and society

IDUN, Goddess of youth, fruits and long life

LOKE, Shape-shifter god

LOMN, Goddess of comfort and rest

MIME, God of wisdom, history

NANN, Goddess of grief

NJARD, God of sea and that of which lives in sea, of fishing and bounty

OD, God of inspiration, frenzy and ideas

ODEN, God of prophesies, and life and death, One of the creators of humanity

SIV, Goddess of contracts, marriage, will and the making of relationships.

SIGYN, Goddess of criminals, for redress and mercy.

SJOMN, Goddess of love, of enamoury...

SOL, goddess of warmth, the Sun, harvest

SKADE, Goddess of winters, of sleep, and cold; of death, Of mountains

TOR, God of mankind, protector... of lightning and storms

VIDAR, god of memory, trauma, vengeance

VILJE, god of intelligence, knowledge

VÆ, god of senses

There are some interesting Gods in this list which I perhaps could also integrate within Batavian Catologian mythology.

Is the Goddess FRÖJA a name for Freyja?

Lord Daniel, just a question: do you act as someone who wants to form a church with the followers of Freyja? I don't see many problems why that shouldn't be the case, but I would like to be sure. ;)

So, you mean that there is no single God, nor just one devil.

This is no problem within the Catologian faith. The Stormarkian Church can easily chose to use this concept. The story about Cato allows much freedom: some will follow the ideals of Cato who interferes whole the time or single handedly interacts, others can chose to believe in much more Gods (and just see Cato as an overviewer who doesn't really interacts).

For the Stormarkian Church I just have to add to this that your fellow believers follow your ideas. It's important that at least the Stormarkian Catologian Church has a story which is supported by a majority of its members (but I don't think these ideas really clash with those of the followers of Freyja, who simply focus on worshipping one Goddess.

I do not represent the Stormarkian belief ("followers of Freyja"), I should say, I represent the Aniara fellowship of faithfuls. Nonetheless, we choose to believe in different complex powers, but in sake of tradition, we take on the Norse gods and goddesses to name these powers. For we believe that the Old Ways have in some sort shared our worldview to a larger extent than say the monotheistic religions.

The Aniara may, and I emphasise "may", choose to accept Cato as the power that all who are dead join in with. Cato could be a formation of souls, of gods, and is the complex merger or congregation of all the powers that are. Rather than Cato being the originator, the Cato originates from the Powers, the Souls, and the lesser Divinities.

We believe that all that is created bears the mark of the Creators in all their forms. This mark shows that all living are the sons and daughters of the Divine. The Powers are within us, and in nature, in all.

Fröja is the Aniara language form of Old Norse Freyja, yes. But we generally worship her in a different way than the followers of Freyja do.

Lord Daniel, just a question: do you act as someone who wants to form a church with the followers of Freyja? I don't see many problems why that shouldn't be the case, but I would like to be sure.

I believe that we share much in common, both with the followers of Freyja and the Catologians. But it is too early to say. We need to learn to know each other better first, more intimately, and there are probably many theological matters that need to be debated too.

Thank you. *bows*

Thank you for explaining.

The Catologian faith gives its followers much freedom, I still haven't seen much that could really contradict the Church.

But I'm curious if we will succeed in creating an unified Stormarkian Catologian Church between the followers of Freyja, or if those two will go a different way (perhaps within the Catologian faith). Interesting times we're in now. :)

Below you may find a summary about the Lady Freyja. She is so very important to Stormark because she was instrumental in the creation of Stormark as can be read in the Old Tale, the Saga of Stormark's Creation. The Lady Freyja is also one of the three Patron Deities of Stormark, together with the Lady Frigga and the Lady Idunn. The three Patron Deities of Stormark are joined in Sacred Marriage with the High King.

Freyja is one of the major Goddesses of Norse Mythology. Equal in prowess to Thor, Freyja is nearly the equal of Odin, the Allfather. She is the Goddess of Love and Beauty, one of the original fertility goddesses of the region. Patron of young lovers, Freyja is viewed as a force for good in the world – protector of the weak, healer, granter of magic and source of love and peace. She listens to the prayers of men and women seeking love and helps them when she can.

Freyja is the daughter of Njord and sister of Frey. She is one of the Vanir but came out of Vanaheim to live with the Aesir along with her father and brother. Her hall, Sessrumnir, is built in the field of Folkvang in Asgard, the realm of the Gods.

Beautiful, blue-eyed, golden-haired, Freyja generally appears as the most desirable woman in the Nine Realms. She always wears Brísingamen, a wonderful necklace made from gold and amber that she received from dwarves. Often appearing unclothed to her followers, she is always described as the most beautiful of women.

Freyja leads the Valkyrie, the Choosers of the Slain. These warrior maidens ride over battlefields on winged horses, taking the souls of noble warriors killed in battle to feast in Valhalla, Odin's Hall. Freyja claims half of the warriors for her own hall in Folkvang. This martial province makes Freyja a more fully dimensioned goddess than most fertility deities.

Freyja taught magic to the Aesir, Odin in particular. Freyja's magic is termed Seidr - a type of trance magic whose fully realized forms include shape shifting and astral projection. Freyja herself has a falcon cloak which allows any who wears it to become a bird. This cloak was often borrowed by Loki when he still worked to save the Aesir.

Cats are particularly sacred to Freyja. In addition to the two large cats who pull her chariot, other cats are generally associated with this kind and loving Goddess. Whether it's their grace, their beauty or their fierce nature when provoked, cats are the special darlings of Freyja, often carrying messages for her.

Archbishop Jonas, Lady Stormarksgydja:

I have the honour of telling you that the Consecration of the Temple of Aniara at Haraldsborg will commence in two weeks.

The consecration will be done in Catology with Aniaran charactertistics.

Thank You, Lady Stormarksgythia. I find this a very good summary and am sure it is possible to integrate within a Stormarkian Church.

Lord Daniel, do you mean that your faith has accepted Catologism? :)