The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Aoife the Celt

First day of the new college year

They are going fine.

So your head is not going to explode of worrying? ;):atomic:

There is a point at which you can go crazy or keep going and not notice. I prefer to keep going.

Did you know that MediStorm provides free chill pills? ;)

Jarl Galinn,

Is everything still going well with your preparations for the LSAT?

Jarl Galinn,

Don't worry! Everything will be allright and you will be a U.S. Supreme Court Justice in three decades or so.

Have you already ordered your wig and robe? ;)

Jarl Galinn,

Don't worry! Everything will be allright and you will be a U.S. Supreme Court Justice in three decades or so.

Have you already ordered your wig and robe? ;)

Lol, alas, if we only wore those things in American courts. Makes one look distinguished to me, however, I'm the kind of person who thinks we should be trying cases in open forums and in togas like the greatest lawyers of Rome. ;)

Do you know what Italo-Norman judges wore?

I honestly have no idea. Modern scholarship is just trying to get a hold of exactly how administration worked during the Norman period as it is; I think we'll have to wait for some cultural historians to figure that one out.

Lol, alas, if we only wore those things in American courts. Makes one look distinguished to me, however, I'm the kind of person who thinks we should be trying cases in open forums and in togas like the greatest lawyers of Rome. ;)

Do you know why American judges do wear such robes and wigs?

I honestly have no idea. Modern scholarship is just trying to get a hold of exactly how administration worked during the Norman period as it is; I think we'll have to wait for some cultural historians to figure that one out.

They might have worn the same clothes as rich magnates.

American judges don't wear such robes and wigs; judges simply wear a black robe, while lawyers simply wear business suits. The website above supplies wardrobe for UK and Commonwealth judges. The wardrobe originated in the 17th Century, as the style was to wear wigs of the kind being sold now and the robes shown. Now, they are worn as a way in which to symbolize their distance from personal involvement in a case and as a symbol of privilege, as being a lawyer centuries ago was being a part of a very small and exclusive group, and keeping that alive isn't a bad thing. Ultimately, it's just tradition in the Commonwealth. In America, I think we got rid of the style as it symbolized the kind of privilege and pomp we wished to cast off, hence why we only retain simply robes for judges, and lawyers wear suits.

And, indeed, they might have worn the same clothes as rich magnates. But, as I said, I've never come across any mention of what they wore, so I couldn't say.

Oops. A little typo. I forgot the word "not" in my question. :oops:

I believe there is only one court in the U.S. where judges wear scarlet robes: the Supreme Court of Maryland.

Ah, no harm done, typos happen all the time. :)

That is correct, they continue to wear red robes with the British collar, and a few states have judges who wear special sashes; but those are very much outliers. The first Supreme Court Justices also wore British-style robes and wigs, but, like many things in American legal history, John Marshall had a role to play in that, and introduced the black robe we now know in America.

Jarl Galinn,

What would you be wearing as Jarl of Sicilia when sitting on the bench as Judge of the Court of First Instance of Sicilia?

I think it is a very fitting choice, Lady Gudrun. It would be an excellent balance between Viking and conventional European traditions. :thumbsup:

Indeed!

I would wear something along the lines of French judges, which is similar to Italian judges:

french%20judge.jpg

No wig for you then? ;)