The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Maggern

Ah, Trondheim

Greetings, good citizens of the Jarldom of Freyja's Necklace, and my complements to Lady Gudrun, Jarla of Freyja's Necklace.

By information from your honored High King Harald, I must compliment you on naming a city 'Trondhjem'. Being a formal citizen of real-life Trondheim, I'm very much honored that my city has been represented in micronationalism.

Sincerely,

Minister Maggern of Antica.

Maggern,

What do you like about your home town of Trondheim?

Your Excellency,

EVERYTHING!

Well, I like the history of the town. It's always been an extremely important city in Norway, as per it's dead center location in the realm. Even the Germans in the 40s planned to build a huge city next to it ("Neue Drontheim") which would include over 250,000 people and the largest submarine base in the 3rd Reich.

Today, though, what interests me is the indentity crisis facing the city. While Oslo and Bergen (both vastly bigger) hav become true European big cities and Stavanger (somewhat smaller) has become and international hub, Trondheim remains alone in its region when it comes to size (it alone contains half the population of the relevant county), and remains the third largest city in Norway. However, at the same time, it remains the main farmer's capital of Norway, most citizens being either recent immigrants from the surrounding countryside or having large parts of their family there. Thus you often see a LOT of vandalism on public property and most urban traits. It's a shame, but it's interesting. Take the example of the exhibition "The Earth from the sky", an artistic exhibition of aerial images of the Earth. It went worldwide and through some of the worst criminal capitals of the world, but Trondheim was the only city it faced vandalism (and faced some international media attention for it).

The architecture is not much to brag about, except the many historic buildings.

PS: I hear it's rumored to be the best city in Norway for students, as per its student facilities and culture.

Maggern,

When is the last time that you have been to Trondheim?

I go back two-three times every semester. Have to stay in touch with friends and family.