The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
High King Harald

Arms for the House of Ettlingar Freyu

What about a canting coat of arms for the House of Ettlingar Freyu? Something like Freyja holding a child.

What about a canting coat of arms for the House of Ettlingar Freyu? Something like Freyja holding a child.

That would be nice. What would you suggest for supporters?

That would be nice. What would you suggest for supporters?

A cat and a boar.

While I have no objection to the various depictions of Freyja on the seal, etc., heraldry is a rather insular art with its own rules and conventions. Like a poetic meter, those rules may seem arbitrary, but when applied they create elegant and distinctive results. I would respectfully suggest that we stick with the traditional heraldic charges and supporters.

I will be putting together my own proposal for the Ettlingar Freyu arms over the next few days, and will post it as soon as I can.

A cat and a boar.

Ah, two animals associated with Freyja. The latter is also associated with kingship.

I will be putting together my own proposal for the Ettlingar Freyu arms over the next few days, and will post it as soon as I can.

I very much look forward to seeing it. :)

I would respectfully suggest that we stick with the traditional heraldic charges and supporters.

In my macronational country, especially the parts with a predominantly Roman Catholic population, a certain lady holding a certain child is quite a traditional heraldic charge. Turn her into a blonde wearing a necklace and put her in a green gown and voilà: Freyja! :)

Ah, two animals associated with Freyja. The latter is also associated with kingship.

Other stuff/objects associated with Freyja are, amongst others: roses, sandalwood, mint, floral scents, cats, the number 13, boars, full moon, horses, swords, necklaces, Brísingamen, 5-pointed stars, amber, emerald, jade, malachite, moonstone, gold, silver, copper, alder, birch, bramble, elder, feverfew, mint, mugwort, rose, tansy, thyme, vervain, yarrow, apple, valerian.

In my macronational country, especially the parts with a predominantly Roman Catholic population, a certain lady holding a certain child is quite a traditional heraldic charge. Turn her into a blonde wearing a necklace and put her in a green gown and voilà: Freyja! :)

Freyja is a very versatile goddess with many aspects so she can depicted in many ways from fully nude through dressed in beautiful gowns to clad in chain mail.

It's true that the Virgin with Child is now used fairly frequently in heraldry, especially in the Eastern European countries, but it is not actually a good traditional charge, for a very simple reason: all the authentic rules of heraldry are based on clarity and visibility from a distance, and it's difficult to distinguish depictions of two different people from each other at a distance. That is to say, if two opposing knights on the field of battle both had coats of arms showing humans (say, Christ and the Virgin Mary, or whatever), then they could easily be confused for each other.

This is why many of the most common charges are bizarre and distinctive objects (like the escarbuncle, mythical beasts, etc.), which while they weren't common even in the middle ages, were and are very easily noticeable even at a great distance; for the same reason, good heraldry always uses bold, bright colours, because those are easier to distinguish.

It's true that the Virgin with Child is now used fairly frequently in heraldry, especially in the Eastern European countries, but it is not actually a good traditional charge, for a very simple reason: all the authentic rules of heraldry are based on clarity and visibility from a distance, and it's difficult to distinguish depictions of two different people from each other at a distance. That is to say, if two opposing knights on the field of battle both had coats of arms showing humans (say, Christ and the Virgin Mary, or whatever), then they could easily be confused for each other.

This is why many of the most common charges are bizarre and distinctive objects (like the escarbuncle, mythical beasts, etc.), which while they weren't common even in the middle ages, were and are very easily noticeable even at a great distance; for the same reason, good heraldry always uses bold, bright colours, because those are easier to distinguish.

Ah, I see. :)

Ah, back to basics. The shields should therefore also preferably be as simple as possible, I presume?

Sign in to follow this