The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Vilhelm Estridson Knytling

Regions of Borgarthing

Borgarthing has been a historic region of the Heartlands for a long time. However, within it there are several Traditional Districts - informal cultural sub-regions - each with their own unique sense of regional identity.

regionsfit.png

TALLAND is the northern-most region of the Jarldom, and the second smallest. Its name comes from the Old Norse meaning the "Land of Reckoning" and this derives from local folk tales regarding the apocalypse.

SNJÁRFJALL is the largest region, but also the most sparsely populated, due to the fact that it is a very mountainous region. Its name means "Snow Mountain" which is the central peak in the south-western section of the region.

SÆTTLAND is the second largest region and like Talland its name comes from a local folk tale regarding two local kings who came to an agreement after a hundred years of family blood feud. Their families were so valorous that neither would stop fighting, but they were so important that no other families or kings in the area had enough influence to mediate between them. It took the intervention of the gods to bring about the 'reconciliation' that gives this region its name.

ATGEIRR is the smallest region and is not very vibrant or popular. It has special cultural significance however because it is the region in which the mythical hero Rauðbjörn lived according to his saga. Its name is the norse term for a thrusting spear and comes from the shape of the place.

SKAPSTAÐR is the southern-most region and the third largest by area. It houses the capital city of Köpingsvik and its terrain is arable and fertile. The capital city developed, grew in size and flourished as wealthy because of its position as a trading port. The name of this region is a contraction from a Norse term for an agreeable place.

Borgarthing has been a historic region of the Heartlands for a long time. However, within it there are many informal cultural sub-regions, each with their own unique sense of regional identity.

Jarl Vilhelm,

Did you know that in Stormark the term "Traditional District" used to be used for such informal cultural sub-regions?

Would you in future also be willing to do such a map for the Jarldom of the Sólareyjar?

Jarl Vilhelm,

Did you know that in Stormark the term "Traditional District" used to be used for such informal cultural sub-regions?

No, I was unaware of this fact. I will amend the OP. It's good that there is a term for this and I thank you for informing me of it.

Would you in future also be willing to do such a map for the Jarldom of the Sólareyjar?

Of course I would be very happy to create such a map, for Sólareyjar, or any other Jarldom within or without the House of Vanadís.

Of course I would be very happy to create such a map, for Sólareyjar, or any other Jarldom within or without the House of Vanadís.

I would like one for the Jarldom of Gulathing.

Jarl Vilhelm,

In which Traditional District of the Borgarthing do you live?

I reside usually in Skapstaðr, in the capital of Köpingsvik, except for holidays. During the winter I spend time skiing in Snjárfjall. During the summer, the short boat trip between Köpingsvik and Atgeirr is beautiful and as a result I spent much of my time getting inspiration from the local rustic wholesomeness of that district.