The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Sigrdrífa the Priestess

[Folkvanger] Jarlstekja: Investiture of Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir

offeringlady.gif

Jarlstekja: Investiture of Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir

In the main ceremonial hall in the centre of the temple complex dedicated to the Lady Freyja which is known as Sessrumnir, a large motley crowd of people has gathered. Sessrumnir is located in the City of Folkvanger, the capital of the Jarldom of Freyja's Necklace, and is the most holiest place in all of the High Realm of Stormark. The people have flocked to Sessrumnir to attend the Investiture of Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir of the Noble House of Mardoll as Jarla of Freyja's Necklace and are currently awaiting the arrival of Lady Stormarksgythia Sigrdrífa the Priestess who will lead the Investiture Ceremony.

Sessrumnir is a huge temple complex consisting of many buildings which house countless rooms and chambers. It is of unmatched beauty and magnificence, surpassing even the Temple of Love on Hnosaa Isle in Stormark's capital, the Imperial City of Haraldsborg. Only female priestesses, who are said to have been handpicked by the Lady Freyja herself, may work here.

Then the Lady Stormarksgythia enters the hall, followed by two assistants and several senior members of the archroyalty of Freyja's Necklace who carrying the symbols of the office of Jarla of Freyja's Necklace. All of them are dressed in magnificent white gold-embroided ceremonial robes made of the finest wool and linen available. They walk to the Sacred Perimeter within the center of the main ceremonial hall which is cordoned off with a golden rope. Inside the Sacred Perimeter an altar made of amber and a throne are standing. One of the assistants opens the rope perimeter to let the Lady Stormarksgythia, the senior members of the archroyalty of Freyja's Necklace, the other assistant and herself into the Sacred Perimeter; as soon as all are in, she re-closes the rope perimeter.

Then the Jarla of Freyja's Necklace, Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir of the House of Mardoll, enters the hall......

mardoll.gif

Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir enters Sessrumnir's main ceremonial hall. The Jarla of Freyja's Necklace is very exited for this is one of the biggests days in her life. A member of the mysterious sisterhood known as the Daughters of Freyja since time immemorial, she is also deeply honoured and overflowing with feelings of joy that she has been selected by the Lady Freyja to rule the Sacred Isles which are also known as the Brisíngamen Jarldom. The Jarla of Freyja's Necklace is holding a little girl of noble birth called Lady Ljúfvina Geirdiarfrsdóttir by the hand. The little noble lady is the foster daughter of Ærndís Sólareyjarsdóttir, the High Priestess of the Ancient Temple in the Sólareyjar, Priestess of the Temple of Love, and a senior member of the Daughters of Freyja. Lady Ljúfvina Geirdiarfrsdottir is also a member of the Daughters of Freyja and had already taken part in many rituals and ceremonies all over the High Realm of Stormark.

Lady Ljúfvina Geirdiarfrsdóttir had joined the Daughters of Freyja last year after Lady Aoife the Celt, herself being a senior member of the Daughters of Freyja and very impressed by the little noble lady's performances during the State Visit from Batavia, where the little noble lady had welcomed King Arkadius and Queen Charlotte in their own language, Dutch, and given the Batavian Queen a bunch of flowers, as well as at the annual Recital of the Laws of Stormark Ceremony where Lady Ljúfvina had opened the said ceremony, had recommended her for membership in the mysterious sisterhood. The Daughters of Freyja immediately recognized Lady Ljúfvina's enormous potential and quickly accepted her, after obtaining her parents' permission and performing the secret initiation rites and rituals, into their mysterious sisterhood. Lady Ljúfvina's parents were very honoured that their daughter was to join the Daughters of Freyja and also gave their consent to Ærndís Sólareyjarsdóttir to take the little noble lady as a foster child.

Lady Gudrun is dressed in her very impressive Jarla of Freyja's Necklace Investiture Robes. She is also wearing the Insignia of the Grand and Glorious Imperial Order of the Two Silver Longships, an ancient circlet, diamond earrings, and a copy of the Brísingamen. Lady Ljúfvina Geirdiarfrsdóttir is dressed in the magnificent Daughters of Freyja Ceremonial Garb. She is also wearing the traditional noblewomen's ritual circlet of the Traditional District of Eidskog, the traditional district in the Jarldom of Eidsivathing where she is hailing from, and a copy of the Brísingamen. The little noble lady is also carrying a precious parchment scroll with the Lady Gudrun's Acceptance Speech.

offeringlady.gif

As soon as Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir is sighted by the crowd, they burst into a long-lasting sponteneous applause which lasts until long after the Jarla of Freyja's Necklace has reached the Sacred Perimeter in the center of the main ceremonial hall, let into the Sacred Perimeter by an assistent of the Lady Stormarksgythia, and taken his place between the throne and the amber altar facing the crowd. When the applause finally has died down, the Lady Stormarksgythia turns to the crowd.

"Dear Friends, we are gathered here today in this House of the Lady Freyja to witness, under auspices of the Lady of Life and Love, a very solemn occasion: the investiture of a new ruler of these most holy isles which have been known since time immemorial as Freyja's Necklace. Before I proceed any further, I would like to ask you all a very important question. Do you accept Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir of the House of Mardoll as Jarla of Freyja's Necklace? Is she in your eyes fit to govern the most sacred isles of the Lady of the Vanir? Do you deem her worthy to sit on the Brísengamen Throne?"

The crowd responds with a loud affirmative roar that is so forceful that it almost blows the roof of the main ceremonial hall off. The Lady Stormarksgythia then turns to the Jarla of Freyja's Necklace.

"Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir, do you wish to proceed to the investiture ceremony? If so or if not, please explain to the crowd why you wish so."

mardoll.gif

Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir first looks at Lady Ljúfvina Geirdiarfrsdóttir, smiles at her and softly pinches her hand. The little noble lady beamingly smiles back. The Jarla of Freyja's Necklace then turns to Lady Sigrdrífa.

"Yes, Lady Stormarksgythia, I do wish to proceed to the investiture ceremony."

Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir then turns to the crowd.

"People of Freyja's Necklace, due to the indulgence of the Lady Freyja and the wish of my dear friend Daniel Farewell to leave the Jarlship of the Brísingamen Jarldom to me, said wish which was so graciously honoured by the High King in the Council of the High Realm, I now may stand before you to be invested as the Jarla of these most sacred isles of the Lady of the Vanir. Deeply honoured and touched by your affirmation I say, let me be your Jarla!"

offeringlady.gif

The crowd cheers after it has heard Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir declare her acceptance of the Jarlship of Freyja's Necklace. The Lady Stormarksgythia turns to the crowd.

"People of Freyja's Necklace, Rejoice! Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir of the House of Vanadís-Mardoll has accepted the Jarlship of these most sacred isles of the Lady of the Vanir. The Brísingamen Throne, empty since Daniel Farewell's departure, is occupied again. The Ship of State of Freyja's Necklace has a new commander. The herd of the people of the Brísingamen Jarldom is no longer without a shepard."

Once again the crowd cheers, this time even louder.

The Lady Stormarksgythia then takes an massive gold oath ring of her arm. The sacred ring is a gift from High King Harald and is said to have been made from golden tears of of joy from Freyja that she cried when she witnessed Harald, her lover, being coronated High King of Stormark. She raises the oath ring in the air and exclaims:

"Freyja!
Loving goddess of war,
Warring godess of love;

Vanadis! - Valkyrie and Dis,
Deadly goddess of life,
Life-giving goddess of death;

Gullveig! - Gefion!
Greedy goddess of giving,
Giving goddess of receiving;

Hail to you, Freyja,
Sorrowing goddess of ecstasy,
Searching goddess, show Jarla Gudrun Eriksdóttir the way."

Lady Sigrdrífa then lowers the oath ring, gives it to Lady Ljúfvina Geirdiarfrsdóttir and then turns to the Jarla of Freyja's Necklace.

"Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir of the House of Vanadís-Mardoll, put your hands on this oath ring and repeat after me:

I, Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir of the House of Vanadís-Mardoll, with the Lady Freyja and all gathered here as witnesses, solemnly swear upon this sacred ring that I shall, to the best of my abillity, fulfill the office of Jarla of the Brísingamen Jarldom, with all the duties and responsibilities that follow from it. I shall, at all times, strengthen our way, bring reconciliation within the community of Freyja's Necklace, and uphold and transmit our lore and culture; keep the law and moderation and the good way; respect the pact made by our ancestors with the Lady of the Vanir; keep frith with all hidden wights: landspirits, elves, disir, dwarves, trolls and giants.

And I shall do so, so long as the fire burns, the wind blows, and the waters flow to the sea; so long as the sun shines, and the soil yields harvest; so long as a mother nurtures her child, and men tend the fields; so long as fires flame, ships sail, and the sun melts the snow; so long as people live in midgard, and the heavens turn; so long as the fir tree grows, the fish swim, the stag runs, and the falcon flies in the long day of Spring; and may the straight winds ever bear up her wings.

And I solemnly declare that I take this oath willingly with no reservations."

mardoll.gif

Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir pulls Lady Ljúfvina Geirdiarfrsdóttir towards her, gives her a warm hug and then kisses the little noble lady on the forehead. The crowd cheers. Lady Ljúfvina Geirdiarfrsdóttir then raises the oath ring. The Jarla of Freyja's Necklace puts her hands on the oath ring and recites, with enchanting voice the oath of office.

"I, Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir of the House of Vanadís-Mardoll, with the Lady Freyja and all gathered here as witnesses, solemnly swear upon this sacred ring that I shall, to the best of my abillity, fulfill the office of Jarl of the Brísingamen Jarldom, with all the duties and responsibilities that follow from it. I shall, at all times, strengthen our way, bring reconciliation within the community of Freyja's Necklace, and uphold and transmit our lore and culture; keep the law and moderation and the good way; respect the pact made by our ancestors with the Lady of the Vanir; keep frith with all hidden wights: landspirits, elves, disir, dwarves, trolls and giants.

And I shall do so, so long as the fire burns, the wind blows, and the waters flow to the sea; so long as the sun shines, and the soil yields harvest; so long as a mother nurtures her child, and men tend the fields; so long as fires flame, ships sail, and the sun melts the snow; so long as people live in midgard, and the heavens turn; so long as the fir tree grows, the fish swim, the stag runs, and the falcon flies in the long day of Spring; and may the straight winds ever bear up her wings.

And I solemnly declare that I take this oath willingly with no reservations."

offeringlady.gif

After Jarla Gudrun has taken the oath, the Lady Stormarksgythia walks to the altar and lies the oath ring on a red silk pillow. One of her assistants hands Lady Sigrdrífa a burning torch. She then walks along the golden rope that encircles the sacred perimeter.

"Through time and tide, through waters wide,
by blood and bone, by stock and stone,
by breath and breeze, by fire that frees.

Fire I carry round this golden rope,
and bid men to keep the peace.
Light I carry for enclosing,
and bid ill wights flee away.

Mighty Thor hallow,
Mighty Thor hallow,
Mighty Thor hallow this sacred space.

Fire I carry round the sacred perimeter,
and bid men to keep the peace.
Light I carry for enclosing,
and bid outlaws flee away.

Mighty Thor hallow,
Mighty Thor hallow,
Mighty Thor hallow this sacred space.

Mighty Thor hallow,
Mighty Thor hallow,
Mighty Thor hallow this sacred space."

When the Lady Stormarksgythia has walked the sacred perimeter, she gives the burning torch back to the assistant. Her other assistant hands her a silver vessel containing apple juice. The juice has been extracted from apples from the stockpile of Idunn's apples from the Temple of Youth on Apple Isle, an island in the Blue River belonging to the Imperial City of Haraldsborg.

Lady Sigrdrífa walks up to the part of the altar where the symbols of Freyja's Necklace's Jarlship are lying. They consist of ancient sacred artifacts once owned by the rulers of the several ancient former petty kingdoms of which the Brísingamen Jarldom is made up of. There are seven of those sacred artifacts:

The sword of state of the kings of Yrjar;

An ancient cermonial shield from the kings of Storadal;

A ritual ring from the kings of Rogaland;

A copy of the Brísingamen from the rulers of Gautland;

A key ring with golden keys from the jarls of Hrísey;

A feather cloak from the jarls of Nyøerne; and

A closed drinking horn from the kings of Fjordane.

She then sprinkles the juice made from Idunn's apples on the seven symbols of Freyja's Necklace's Jarlship.

"Hail to the Lady Freyja!
Hail to the Lady of the Vanir!
Hail, you to whom we are trú!
To you, we lift our eyes;
To you, we extend our hands;
To you, we open our hearts;
To you we raise our voices!
Hail! Hail! Thrice, Hail!"

The Lady Stormarksgythia walks up to Jarla Gudrun and also sprinkles her with the juice made of Idunn's apples.

"May kindly wights of worlds all nine,
Protect you from harm,
Good food with mirth and friendship bring,
For wholesomeness and health.

May all who sojourn wisdom win.
May fair things freely grow.
May joy and laughter, frith and love,
Your reign's hallmarks be.

May life grant you always,
A sunbeam to warm you,
a moonbeam to charm you,
a sheltering Dis so nothing can harm you.
Laughter to cheer you,
Faithful friends near you,
And whenever you pray, the Lady Freyja to hear you."

mardoll.gif

Then time has come for the Jarla of Freyja's Necklace, Lady Gudrun Eriksdóttir of the House of Vanadís-Mardoll, to invoke the Lady of the Vanir. Lady Gudrun slowly raises her hands high into the air and then beamingly chants:

"Freyja,
Golden one,
Exquisite, beautiful, and charming,
You open me
And set me free.

Fruitful and sexy,
You give of yourself
Without hesitation,
Without bounds,
Knowing the love of all.

Mail-clad and strong,
You gather the warriors