The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
High King Harald

The Jarldom of the Haldarsvik Islands

halogathing.png

Members of the Committee,

This thread is for discussion about the Jarldom of the Haldarsvik Islands so that we together can write a nice basic profile for it. Please submit your thoughts, ideas, knowledge, and opinions on this Jarldom, its population, traditions, customs, climate, landscape, towns, noteworthy buildings, etc.

The Jarldom of the Haldarsvik Islands consists of four islands:
  • one west of the Eidsivathing;
  • three between "Etinhof Isle" and the Frostathing.

Below you may find what I know about the Jarldom of the Haldarsvik Islands. Pick it up and run with it!! :)

The Jarldom of the Haldarsvik Islands named after the the Earl of Haldarsvik who was also known as Robert Davis and its nickname is the Law Lord Jarldom. Its capital is Irenic City and is located on the island west of the Eidsivathing which is called Grand Arcadia. The other islands do not have names yet.

The history of the Haldarsvik Islands commences when the island west of the Eidsivathing was separated from the Frostathing (all islands west of the Heartland belonged to the Frostathing) and leased to Universal Arbitrations, Inc. (UAI) which was a corporation that provided all kind of (legal) services. The island was leased to UAI to provide it with a neutral location for its headquarters.

Grand Arcadia reverted back to Stormark after Lord Haldarsvik's death and the subsequent collapse of UAI. It was later together with the three other islands named the Haldarsvik Islands and created a separate Jarldom.

I haven't made any significant contributions to this Committee yet, and since I am going to study law at university next year, which better place to start than the Law Lord Jarldom?

I will mention now that I will be using for all of these Jarldoms as a first port of call three resources: the MCS official physical map, Bill's highly detailed greyscale physical map and the MCS official resources map. These maps provide a general outline of physical features, and I don't think Stormark should be governed directly by what these maps say. They give an idea- but not one that we have to stick to religiously. Nonetheless, a useful base.

Judging from Bill's greyscale it seems that, of course, there is not much to the islands surrounding the main isle, including the one on which is situated the capital of Irenic City, Grand Arcadia. These are simply small islands, most perhaps twice the size of the RL Channel Islands. To give an idea of the size of Grand Arcadia, it's a little larger than the Isle of Wight. The three lesser islands would be constituted mainly of small villages and hamlets with perhaps a sizable town or two representing what would have developed as the major trading port of that island, assuming they had anything to trade that is: I would imagine basic rural activities such as animal herding and crop farming would be the main sources of income for the people living on those islands. During the earlier periods of Stormark's history these would have been subject to frequent raids from roaming bands of pillagers from across the sea, what we now would term the Heartland, or one might have even been the site of a community of such raiders.

Grand Arcadia we can imagine to be a quite different affair. It is much larger than the other small islands and also houses the administrative capital of the Jarldom. The city of Irenic could be a well-developed city, and based on the history of the Jarldom as a legal bastion, I am tempted to think of the city centre as being populated by great buildings such as a main castle which holds the Jarl's court, several libraries including a law library, a Temple or two, and a court of justice for the region. The architecture I see as being a mixture between the old Norse architecture which of course permeates throughout Stormark and an art nouveau gothic style which belies the association of Irenic City with arbitrators and justices. Imagine a blend between the two buildings below. If I have time I may sketch some concept art in the near future.

Urnesstavkirke.jpg

799px-MxGuildhallMay09.JPG

Further out in the city of Irenic, the architecture would fade back into general Norse architecture although the towns that share the isle of Grand Arcadia may also house significant buildings like religious structures which bear this style, unique to this Jarldom thanks to its history.

We come then to the central island around which all smaller Haldarsvik islands orbit as in a solar system. The metaphor continues in that, just as the sun gives life to the surrounding planets, the wealth of this island would maintain the coffers of the whole Jarldom. It is a fairly flat island, with a slight elevation towards the centre of the island, but no more so than usual. What is rather interesting about the geography of this as yet unnamed island is that its eastern side is much more sharply elevated than its western side. In other words, on the eastern side we can expect cliffs and on the west a nice beach. This would explain the placement of the city of Etinhof, lying on the western coast, which would probably be a holiday destination for Stormarkers looking for a break off the heartland. It may be that towards the centre of the island, the hilly areas contain local mining communities while further out on the plains lie rural communities on a grander scale to their kin on the surrounding islands that constitute this Jarldom.

The history of these islanders has been complicated- having been transferred from one administrative region to another, even from one sovereign nation to a sovereign organisation- but I believe that this does not matter all that much to them. They are a deeply cultural people, with a folklore passed down from generation to generation, with their ways being taught father-to-son and mother-to-daughter for centuries. The people of the central hilly area of the large island in particular can be seen in this way: not influenced until the modern day, their picture-esque townships would be the site of authentic windmills and watermills and the places of worship would be especially impressive, as small and humble but reverent in their design and fashioning, so unlike and yet like the grand architecture described above found in the capital of Irenic City.

Any of that sound good? More detailed things to come, and those islands all need names, Stormarkers!! :thumbsup:

Any of that sound good? More detailed things to come, and those islands all need names, Stormarkers!! :thumbsup:

Vilhelm! You are awesome! :thumbsup:

Thank you for your kind words, Lady Unna, but I am a silly Sfeir. I've included the Etinhof Isle in this write-up, even though it is not part of this Jarldom. Let's just ignore those bits shall we... :whistling:

You're welcome!

Including Etinhof Isle is, however, not unlogical because the Haldarsvik Islands were once part of the Frostathing Islands, the archipelago where Etinhof Isle still belongs to, and there will, of course all kind of strong bonds, ties ad connections between those islands.

Well, I think Vilhelm has done a brilliant job on this Jarldom Profile!! :thumbsup:

Absolutely brilliant!

The names I would like to propose for the three lesser islands are Indre Vikna, Mellomvikna, Ytre Vikna. The names are derived from islands belonging to a municipality in Nord-Trøndelag county, Norway, which called Vikna.

I chose these names because these three lesser islands were once part of the Jarldom of the Frostathing. In macronational Viking history Frostathing was the site of an early Norwegian court. Frostating had its seat at Tinghaugen in Frosta municipality in the county of Nord-Trøndelag.

The names I would like to propose for the three lesser islands are Indre Vikna, Mellomvikna, Ytre Vikna. The names are derived from islands belonging to a municipality in Nord-Trøndelag county, Norway, which called Vikna.

I chose these names because these three lesser islands were once part of the Jarldom of the Frostathing. In macronational Viking history Frostathing was the site of an early Norwegian court. Frostating had its seat at Tinghaugen in Frosta municipality in the county of Nord-Trøndelag.

Excellent choice, Lady Gudrun!! :thumbsup: