THE ALTHING

The powers of the Viking Empire to—

• provide for the general welfare, security and defence of the people,

• regulate the commerce and taxes

• regulate criminal and civil law,

• declare war and peace,

• ratify treaties and other diplomatic documents,

• institute inferior courts to the Fimmtardómur, and

• institute a police force or militia to execute the laws of the land and repel rebellions and invasions

—are vested in the unicameral Althing.

The Althing may not, without a majority of three fourths of the members of the Althing, pass a bill amending the High Law, the Law of Ettlingar Freyu or pass any bill seeking to surrender the sovereignty or territory of the Viking Empire either wholly or in part.

All legislative power not vested in the Althing or delegated to other body in accordance with law lies with the legislatures of the several jarldoms.

The Althing shall be in continuous session unless the Emperor or Empress in Council decides else. It shall be headed by the Law Speaker, elected by the Althing under the chair of the Emperor or Empress.

The Althing is governed by the High Law, the Althing Statute passed by the Althing, and the Rules of Order decided upon by the Law Speaker.

In the post below you may find an amended version of the draft.

THE ALTHING

Article I.

The powers of the Viking Empire to --

• provide for the general welfare, security and defence of the people;

• regulate commerce and taxes;

• regulate criminal and civil law;

• designate the flags, insignia and symbols of the Viking Empire;

• declare war and peace;

• regulate matters concerning the national territory, borders and air space;

• ratify treaties and other diplomatic documents;

• institute Law Courts inferior to the Fimmtardómur; and

• institute a police force or militia to execute the laws of the land, suppress rebellions and insurrections, and repel invasions.

-- shall be solely and exclusively vested in the unicameral Althing.

Article II.

The Althing may not, without a majority of three fourths of the votes cast, pass a Bill amending the High Law or the Law of Ettlingar Freyu, or pass any Bill seeking to surrender the Sovereignty or Territory of the Viking Empire either wholly or in part.

Article III.

No Bill passed by the Althing shall become law without receiving the Imperial Assent.

Article IV.

All legislative power not vested in the Althing or delegated to any other body in accordance with law lies with the legislatures of the several Jarldoms.

Article V.

The Althing shall be in continuous session unless the Emperor or Empress in the Imperial Council decides otherwise. It shall be headed by the Law Speaker who shall be elected by the Althing under the chair of the Emperor or Empress.

Article VI.

The Althing shall be governed by the High Law, the Althing Statute passed by the Althing, and the Rules of Order decided upon by the Law Speaker.

Fellow Members of the Committee:

I refer you to Astrid's proposed Article III.

"No Bill passed by the Althing shall become law without receiving the Imperial Assent."

I think it should be removed since this is, according to Astrid's Chapter on the Sovereign, exercised through the Imperial Council.

I envisaged this:

A bill becomes an Act upon imperial assent (effected by promulgation by the Emperor or Empress)

A bill to amend the High Law becomes law upon the assent of the Emperor-in-Council (i.e. this would make the High Law harder to amend), effected by Councilliar Promulgation.

Fellow Members of the Committee:

I refer you to Astrid's proposed Article III.

"No Bill passed by the Althing shall become law without receiving the Imperial Assent."

I think it should be removed since this is, according to Astrid's Chapter on the Sovereign, exercised through the Imperial Council.

I envisaged this:

A bill becomes an Act upon imperial assent (effected by promulgation by the Emperor or Empress)

A bill to amend the High Law becomes law upon the assent of the Emperor-in-Council (i.e. this would make the High Law harder to amend), effected by Councilliar Promulgation.

I'm in agreement with Daniel Farewell.

In the post below you may find an amended version of the Bill.

THIRD CHAPTER - THE ALTHING

Article I.

• declare war and peace;

• institute a police force or militia to execute the laws of the land, suppress rebellions and insurrections, and repel invasions.

Article II.

The Althing may not, without a majority of three fourths of the votes cast, pass a Bill amending the High Law or the Law of Ettlingar Freyu, or pass any Bill seeking to surrender the Sovereignty or Territory of the Viking Empire either wholly or in part.

Article III.

All legislative power not vested in the Althing or delegated to any other body in accordance with law lies with the legislatures of the several Jarldoms.

Article IV.

The Althing shall be in continuous session unless the Emperor or Empress in the Imperial Council decides otherwise. It shall be headed by the Law Speaker who shall be elected by the Althing under the chair of the Emperor or Empress.

Article V.

The Althing shall meet, in accordance with venerable tradition and ancient custom, in either the Althingi Hall or on the Thingvellir depending on the time of the year and as the weather may permit.

Article VI.

The Althing shall be governed by the High Law, the Althing Statute passed by the Althing, and the Rules of Order decided upon by the Law Speaker.

I disagree with Lady Astrid's proposed amendment. The Althing should be free to seat itself wherever convenient for the populace. For example, where there is safe, etc...

I have amended the draft to address Daniel Farewell's concern. You may find it in the post below.

Article I.

• declare war and peace;

Article II.

Article III.

Article IV.

Article V.

The Althing shall meet, in accordance with venerable tradition and ancient custom, in either the Althingi Hall or on the Thingvellir depending on the time of the year and as the weather may permit or in such other place as it may from time to time determine.

Article VI.

Can we remove the rather nothing-saying "in accordance with venerable tradition and ancient custom"? It adds nothing to the article. :) But I won't fight against its inclusion, though.

=Other than that, I'm happy!

I have removed the "in accordance with venerable tradition and ancient custom" phrase from Article V. You may see it in the post below.

Article I.

• declare war and peace;

• institute a police force or militia to execute the laws of the land, suppress rebellions and insurrections, and repel invasions;

Article II.

Article III.

Article IV.

Article V.

The Althing shall meet in either the Althingi Hall or on the Thingvellir depending on the time of the year and as the weather may permit or in such other place as it may from time to time determine.

Article VI.

In the post below you may find an amended version of the draft.

Article I.

The powers of the High Realm to --

• designate the flags, insignia and symbols of the High Realm;

• declare war and peace;

• institute a police force or militia to execute the laws of the land, suppress rebellions and insurrections, and repel invasions;

Article II.

The Althing may not, without a majority of three fourths of the votes cast, pass a Bill amending the High Law or the Law of Ettlingar Freyu, or pass any Bill seeking to surrender the Sovereignty or Territory of the High Realm either wholly or in part.

Article III.

Article IV.

The Althing shall be in continuous session unless the High King or High Queen in the High Council of the Realm decides otherwise. It shall be headed by the Law Speaker who shall be elected by the Althing under the chair of the High King or High Queen.

Article V.

The Althing shall meet in either the Althingi Hall or on the Thingvellir depending on the time of the year and as the weather may permit or in such other place as it may from time to time determine.

Article VI.

Sign in to follow this