The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Stormarksgythia

Farewell Service for Princess Carol of Frigga Island

offeringlady.gif

Farewell Service

in honour of

Her Serene Highness Princess Carol of Frigga Island

* The eerie early morning fog on Troth Isle, an island in the Blue River within the borders of the City of Haraldsborg, was broken only by the sound of the pipes of a lone piper playing "Flowers of the Forest". The piper is solemnly walking towards the Hall of Memories of the Wyrd of Midgard Hof in Stormark, one of Stormark's most ancient and most important Asatru Temples. The path he is walking down is lined with an honour guard consisting of musketeers of the Alexandrian Guard and Imperial Huskarls all dressed in full ceremonial attire. The piper is followed by six Ladies Noble, Royal and Imperial who are carrying a coffin draped in the flag of Frigga Island. In the coffin lie the remains of the late deeply beloved and highly revered Stormarkian and Shirithian Royal Lady Carol of Ettlingar Freyu, the Princess of Frigga Island.

The Ladies Noble, Royal and Imperial who are carrying Lady Carol's coffin are all, in way or another, related to Lady Carol: Her Serene Highness Princess Hypathia of Frigga Island, Her Excellency Lady Pandora of Alexandretta, Her Imperial Highness Princess Calamidad of Alexandria, Her Most Imperial and Most Royal Highness Viking Princess Æsileif of Stormark, Her Highness Princess Fränzi-Ferdinanda des Vinandy and Her Imperial Highness Princess Andrea of Alexandria.

When the piper has reached the imposing doors of the Hall of Memories, he turns to the right and walks away from the Hall of Memories while playing the last few stanzas of the "Flowers of the Forest", the piper disappearing into the fog and the sound of the pipes fading off into the distance. The doors of the Hall of Memories then swing open and the six Ladies Noble, Royal and Imperial carrying Lady Carol's coffin enter the said hall of the Wyrd of Midgard Hof in Stormark.

As soon as Lady Carol's coffin is sighted by the members of the audience, they burst into a long-lasting sponteneous applause which lasts until long after the Ladies Noble, Royal and Imperial have reached the Sacred Perimeter in the center of the Hall of Memories, put Princess Carol's coffin on an Imperial Catafalque in the center of the Sacred Perimeter and taken their seats.

When the applause finally has died down, the combined guest bands consisting of the All Sólareyjar Piper and Drum Band, the Imperial Naval Band and the Imperial Orchestra commence with playing the Imperial Anthem. Empress Iphigénie of Alexandria, who is standing on a elevated platform near the Sacred Perimeter, and the audience then jointly sing the Imperial Anthem. The audience sings the chorus, Empress Iphigénie of Alexandria the verses. *

All of the Assembled:
"Battle-worn Freyja, the warmth in the cold
Calls half of the Einherjar into her fold.
Sweet, loving Freyja, who sheds tears of gold
For she cannot find her husband, Oð."

Empress Iphigénie of Alexandria:
"Long, long ago, in a far-away land
Lived the bane of the Ases, who called themselves "Van."
They knew how to work with the earth, sun and sky,
And they made it rain when their fields had run dry."

All of the Assembled:

"One day came the Æsir unto the Van’s glade,
Each bore in his hand a spear or a blade.
As they crept through the forest, no sound had they heard
'Til the sound of The Lady in the form a bird"

All of the Assembled:

"As the Æsir and Vanir moistened the ground
A peaceful solution needed be found
An exchange for the folk of the other side’s kin
Let the two become one and let both the sides win"

All of the Assembled:

"Together in Asgard did both the clans live
Each one to the other their strength did they give
With no single king or a queen on a throne
With the strength of sweet Freyja and the luck of her Stone"

All of the Assembled:

* The Lady Principal Stormarkgythia then enters the Hall of Memories, followed by two Stormarkgythias. All three of them are dressed in magnificent white gold-embroided ceremonial robes made of the finest wool and linen available. The Lady Principal Stormarkgythia and the two Stormarkgythias walk to the Sacred Perimeter within the center of the Hall of Memories which is cordoned off with a golden rope. One of the Stormarkgythias opens the rope perimeter to let the Lady Principal Stormarkgythia, the other Stormarkgythia and herself into the Sacred Perimeter; As soon as all are in, she re-closes the rope perimeter. The Lady Principal Stormarkgythia followed by the two Stormarkgythias then moves to the center of the Sacred Perimeter. She then takes an ancient Hammer of Thor from a credence table and makes the Sign of Thor's Hammer over Lady Carol's coffin. *

Lady Principal Stormarkgythia:
"As the Hammer of Thor blessed the pyre of his brother Balder, may this ancient hammer hallow this place where we have come to honour Lady Carol against all baneful forces."

All of the Assembled: "Hail Carol!"

"It is said in Havamal, "Cattle die, kinsmen die, and you yourself shall die."

One thing I know which never dies: the memory of those who are truly loved.
"

"Although everyone dies, Lady Carol left Micras untimely. We who remain behind must remember that although Lady Carol has left us, she will always be remembered in the hearts and minds of those who loved her and were made better by knowing her. Even as she leaves us, the cycle of rebirth begins again, and the wonder of her presence is not lost to us. Let us remember Lady Carol all the days of our lives, remembering her contributions to micronationalism and to Shireroth, Stormark and Tellia. May the gods of our people grant us the wisdom to find meaning in the life she lived, as well as in her passing, Life From Death, Light From Darkness, Joy From Sorrow."

"Great Frigga, Mother of us all, send to us the Lady Hlin, refuge and comfort: She who wards us from despair and loosens the grip of grief.
Frigga and Odin, well you know the pain of loss: Grant us your deep wisdom of the workings of Wyrd, to temper now the raging of our hearts.
Lady Carol was a part of the great web of Wyrd, woven before, woven now, to be woven yet again."

* Empress Iphigénie of Alexandria then sings, accompanied by the combined guest bands, "Amazing Grace". *

"Amazing grace! How sweet the sound,
That saved a mortal like me!
I once was lost but now am found
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!

Through many dangers, toils, and snares,
We have already come;
'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

Freyja has promised good to me,
Her word my hope secures;
She will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within her heil,
A life of joy and peace.

Micras shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But Freyja, who called me here below,
Will be forever mine."

"Odin, drighten of the dead, ferryman, I call you - show the way to the worlds beyond.
Frigga, in your sunken hall, hear my voice.
Thor, Warder, Friend of Men, be with us, lend your Hammer's holy might.
Heimdall, open Asgard's gate; worthy steps shall sound soon on thy bridge.
Frey, bring frith to the mound: fair lives within, and friendship to the living aye.
Freyja, bear the mead forth: well should you greet this guest, and roomy-seated is your hall.
Idunn, here is someone worthy to eat of your apples: I ask you to grant that food freely.
Disir and Alfar, greet your kinsmen kindly.
All ye holy ones, gods, goddesses, and wights, hail the Lady Carol who comes among you; help her to the hall of her soul."

"We have come here to speak farewells to our beloved Lady Royal, Princess Carol of Frigga Island, who goes forth from us now on the farthest of farings, that need-faring which we all must make in time. Far is the faring to the halls of the holy ones; long is the way, and there are many who wait for the travelers. Lady Carol, Thor's Hammer hallows you and your pathway."

* The Lady Principal Stormarkgythia makes the sign of the Hammer. *

"Cattle die; kinsmen die; you yourself shall die. But fair fame shall never die, for the one who gets it well. Cattle die; kinsmen die; you yourself shall die. One thing I know that never dies - how each man dead is deemed."

"Now let those speak who knew the Lady Carol; say, what shall be remembered of her by kin and friends in the days to come. I hallow this horn to our beloved Lady Royal. Drink to this in friendship and frith."

* The Lady Principal Stormarkgythia then pours mead into the drinking horn. The Stormarksgythia then traces the hammer sign over the mead using her hand. The drinking horn is then passed around and each person offers a toast to Lady Carol.

After everyone has toasted to the Princess of Frigga Island, friends and family of her then step, one by one, forward to share their memories about the Lady Royal. Some stories make the audience burst into laughter, other stories bring everyone to tears. They, however, make everyone present once again realize what kind of a special person Lady Carol was.

When the memory-sharing by friends and family has ceased, Empress Iphigénie of Alexandria sings, accompanied by the combined guest bands, "Old & Wise". *

"As far as my eyes can see
There are shadows approaching me
And to those I left behind
I wanted you to know
You've always shared my deepest thoughts
You follow where I go

And oh... when I'm old and wise
Bitter words mean little to me
Autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time
When they asked me if I knew you
I'd smile and say you were a friend of mine
And the sadness would be lifted from my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

As far as my eyes can see
There are shadows surrounding me
And to those I leave behind
I want you all to know
You've always shared my darkest hours
I'll miss you when I go

And oh... when I'm old and wise
Heavy words that tossed and blew me
Like autumn winds that will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a frined of mine
As the final curtain falls before my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

As far as my eyes can see."

"And now hear some rede from me: As all things have their beginning and their end, so let also grief, now so bitterly begun, reach it's ending in good time. Many tales of our folk speak of how overmuch grief burdens the souls of those who have fared forth. So let not grief grow overmuch, cling not to it, but leave your friend's soul to fly free & unburdened toward the bright realm of the gods."

"Lady Carol, even as Balder, Fate has laid you low. And even as the gods, our hearts weep at your passing. But Balder beckons, the cycle turns again. Balder welcomes you, death's master, Odin and Frigga's best loved son. Evil he wipes away, courage and comfort he brings."

"In this world and the next,
In Asgard or Midgard,
In life and in death,
Together always,
Beyond all time and space,
You will always be remembered,
You will always be loved,
and You will always be our joy."

"Farewell, Lady Carol, in our hearts we are with you always. May you hasten yourself to the afterlife and not let the burdens of the world trouble you further!"

* The Farewell Service has ended. The Ladies Noble, Royal and Imperial Her Serene Highness Princess Hypathia of Frigga Island, Her Excellency Lady Pandora of Alexandretta, Her Imperial Highness Princess Calamidad of Alexandria, Her Most Imperial and Most Royal Highness Viking Princess Æsileif of Stormark, Her Highness Princess Fränzi-Ferdinanda des Vinandy and Her Imperial Highness Princess Andrea of Alexandria take the Lady Carol's coffin from the Imperial Catafalque and carry it, under applause by the audience so loud that it almost blows the roof off, out of the Hall of Memories. *

Lady Principal Stormarkgythia,

The daughter of Lady Carol has said that she found the Farewell Service quite beautiful and that she's sure that her mother would have loved it.

Very appropriate and very touching! Well done!

Lady Principal Stormarkgythia,

The daughter of Lady Carol has said that she found the Farewell Service quite beautiful and that she's sure that her mother would have loved it.

That means the world to me. :)