The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Gudrun

Every fourth Swedish woman afraid to go out at nig

More than every fourth woman is 'often or sometimes' afraid to go out in the vicinity of her home when it is dark.

Among men the total is just 6%.

The question of security is almost always absent in the debate about housing policies, wrote Hans Tilly, the chairman of builders' union Byggnads, and Carina Ohlsson, the chairman of a women's advice bureau, in an opinion piece in Svenska Dagbladet.

The were presenting research from Sifo which shows that many, primarily women, are afraid to go out in the evenings.

Most afraid to be seen outside in the area of their home are members of the blue-collar union organisation LO living in big towns. 32% said they were 'often or sometimes' afraid to go out at night.

The comparable figure for white-collar workers is 13%.

Tilly and Ohlsson argue that security is therefore not just a gender issue but also a class issue. They recommended that the government begins to repair run down areas to increase security.

Good Afternon To You, My Gentle Friends,

Moi Of No Opinions has a tiny smidgen of a thought . . .

It is truly a shame when women are afraid to go out after dark . . .

Or even men, for that matter . . .

Security is always a factor, no matter what part of the world people may reside in . . .

One should always be proud of where one lives, and be assured that their safety is a top priority . . .

I can speak from experience on that issue . . .

The Apartment Complex where we currently live has recently completely re-organized their Security Detail . . .

We have lived here for almost twenty-five years now ( * True! * ), and, of course, we have seen many changes, not the least of which has been several, and I do mean several, changes in Management . . .

The Current Owners purchased this Property in, I believe, 1998, and proceeded to completely overhaul the whole Property from Top To Bottom . . .

First, they raised our rent $100. per month . . .

Then they proceeded to give EVERYONE Sixty-Day Eviction Notices . . .

I had heart-failure, needless to say . . .

I went to the Office, and said, What are you doing, we have been here for so long, and never been late on rent, and I went on and on . . .

Hold on, hold on, they said, we are trying to get rid of the riff-raff, don't get excited . . .

You are not riff-raff, we are not getting rid of you, they said . . .

We had to give everyone eviction notices so that people would not think we were playing favourites . . .

Come to the Office privately tomorrow, and we will quietly renew your lease . . .

Then, no one can say that they were not treated fairly . . .

Oh, I said ( * In a very small - and grateful - voice * ) Thank You . . .

So, it all worked out well . . .

But, my point is, that they have totally re-done the Complex . . .

The Owners spent Three Million Dollars in renovations, put in a new Swimming Pool, a Tennis Court, a Walking/Jogging Trail, Gazebos in Courtyards, Extra Floodlights, and a new Security Detail Twenty-Four Hours A Day . . .

Cool - I said - Major Cool . . .

Needless to say, I am Totally Impressed . . .

So, Security is Very Important here . . .

As It Should Be Everywhere . . .

But, I have lived in the middle of nowhere (Literally), where Security was a word that no-one had ever heard of, so I can understand how it would be frightful for people in - shall we say, politely - deprived areas . . .

Have an absolutely splendiferous afternoon . . . forthwith . . .

The Current Owners purchased this Property in, I believe, 1998, and proceeded to completely overhaul the whole Property from Top To Bottom . . .

First, they raised our rent $100. per month . . .

Then they proceeded to give EVERYONE Sixty-Day Eviction Notices . . .

I had heart-failure, needless to say . . .

Is it that easy to evict someone in the United States? confused.gif

Good Afternoon To You, Sir Dagfinn,

I think their reasoning was to treat everyone fairly - to give everyone in the Complex a Sixty-Day Eviction Notice . . .

Then, from what I understand, they took each case, examined it on its own individual merits (or demerits, as the case may be), and acted accordingly . . .

Many people, when faced with the $100 rent increase right off the bat, moved out, no questions asked . . .

Others moved out after getting their Sixty-Day Letters . . .

I believe there were about six or seven of us ( * True!!! * ) out of 260 or 270 Apartments here who were allowed to stay . . .

And all of the whole six or seven of us had been here a great number of years . . .

At the time, there was Charlie, who was a dear older gentleman, who had lived in Building 17 when we came. He had been here six months or a year when we moved in . . . There was a bad fire, which gutted the entire Building 17, and everyone was relocated somewhere . . . This happened in about 1991 or so . . . Charlie was in that Building, and was relocated to Building Eight . . .

Us . . . Bill, Julie, and I moved into Building Six on February 23, 1981, and have occupied the same apartment for the entire time . . . They wanted to know if we would move so they could renovate the apartment, but I said no thank you, we would like to stay . . . Renovate Away, if you like, with us in the apartment, which they did . . . Oh, what a disaster that was!!! . . . But we survived it, and the place was re-carpeted and re-painted, and they worked around us, moving furniture - into the hallway, the bathroom, the patio - Lovely!!! . . . But it got done, and looked pretty good when finished . . .

Then there was Bonnie and Rick who lived in Building 4, then moved to Building 2, then moved to Building 11. Bonnie has since passed on . . . Rick still lives in Building ll . . . They have been here about fifteen years . . .

Oh, by the way, Charlie, poor dear, passed on about a month ago . . .

SO, I guess we are the longest "reigning" tenants here in the Complex . . .

I don't exactly know what that entitles us to - ( * a free month's rent? * ) . . .

I wish . . .

ANYWAY, we have seen a LOT of changes since we have been here . . .

When we moved in, the Complex was managed by Josephine, the Manager, and her husband, Ray, the Maintenance Supervisor . . .

In a short time, (either, we didn't notice when we moved in, or were blind - neither Bill or I are very hip when it comes to these things anyway), we did notice unsavory behaviour - a lot of drug activity, prostitution, all kinds of wonderful goings on after dark - how does one put this politely - Our apartment faces a Courtyard - we would notice - ahem! - rather, shall we say "indecent" behaviour on the park benches, and such . . .

This was what went on for some time . . .

Police patrolled, but not much was done . . .

When the new Management Purchased the Property, I think they rather sensed that the place was not up to par - to put it politely, again - and took the actions that they did to protect the innocent - hopefully us . . .

Hmmm . . .

ANYWAY, the place is fairly much 200 per cent better, and getting better all the time . . .

If the activities that I have outlined above are continuing, they are much more out of sight than they were . . .

I highly doubt that the activities are really continuing, though, due to the heightened Security Patrols . . . They have hired private Security to Patrol twenty-four hours a day, and I think that the Security Presence has helped quite a lot . . . We don't see any more loitering, the drinking in cars has fairly much been squashed, and I don't see any more inappropriate behaviour in the Courtyards at all . . . Of course, now, I am talking about where we can see, which is out front - we live in a front building, and in our Courtyard . . . I cannot speak for what goes on in the back Buildings . . .

But I do believe that the heightened Security Presence has helped a lot . . .

Have an absolutely splendiferous afternoon . . . forthwith . . .

Good Evening To You, Sir Dagfinn,

True, an Apartment Complex must have a "Court Order" to actually EVICT a person from the Apartment . . .

However, there must have been some sort of law giving the Owners the right to make Sixty-Day Letters to each Tenant . . .

As new Owners, they have the right to make necessary changes to improve the condition of their Property . . . I suppose when they buy a Property that has less-than-desirable tenants, this would be the best way to solve the problem - just give everyone a Sixty-Day Notice, and work from there . . . Take each case on an individual basis, and either keep the tenant, or out they go . . .

If a tenant is consistently late with their rent, that is a reason . . .

If a tenant is unruly or a nuisance to other tenants - has the police at their door many times for various reasons . . .

If a tenant has caused destruction of property - as did happen across the hall from us - apparently, the man (of about 20 or 21 years) was white, had several racially explicit tattoos on his person. We had some very nice African American people next door to us. Apparently, he and his friends slashed the tires of these people next door, and three or four other African-American people in this Building. When the police asked him if this was a hate crime, he said, oh no, I just don't think they should be here . . .

EXCUSE ME, but whomever is in the Apartment Building is of no concern to anyone else, particularly in a racially biased fashion . . .

Well, he happened to be late on his rent the month after this happened - Poor Baby - Out He Went - Goodbye . . . What a Shame!!! . . .

SO, that is the reasoning . . .

For a good and just cause - a good reason - Yes, an Apartment Complex can evict . . .

And especially when, as You can see from the above case, the life and property of a tenant is compromised . . .

Have a most thoughtful evening . . . forthwith . . .

I believe there were about six or seven of us ( * True!!! * ) out of 260 or 270 Apartments here who were allowed to stay . . .

And all of the whole six or seven of us had been here a great number of years . . .

ANYWAY, we have seen a LOT of changes since we have been here . . .

When we moved in, the Complex was managed by Josephine, the Manager, and her husband, Ray, the Maintenance Supervisor . . .

In a short time, (either, we didn't notice when we moved in, or were blind - neither Bill or I are very hip when it comes to these things anyway), we did notice unsavory behaviour - a lot of drug activity, prostitution, all kinds of wonderful goings on after dark - how does one put this politely - Our apartment faces a Courtyard - we would notice - ahem! - rather, shall we say "indecent" behaviour on the park benches, and such . . . 

This was what went on for some time . . .

Police patrolled, but not much was done . . .

When the new Management Purchased the Property, I think they rather sensed that the place was not up to par - to put it politely, again - and took the actions that they did to protect the innocent - hopefully us . . .

Hmmm . . .

ANYWAY, the place is fairly much 200 per cent better, and getting better all the time . . .

If the activities that I have outlined above are continuing, they are much more out of sight than they were . . .

I highly doubt that the activities are really continuing, though, due to the heightened Security Patrols . . .  They have hired private Security to Patrol twenty-four hours a day, and I think that the Security Presence has helped quite a lot . . .  We don't see any more loitering, the drinking in cars has fairly much been squashed, and I don't see any more inappropriate behaviour in the Courtyards at all . . .  Of course, now, I am talking about where we can see, which is out front - we live in a front building, and in our Courtyard . . .  I cannot speak for what goes on in the back Buildings . . .

But I do believe that the heightened Security Presence has helped a lot . . .

Have an absolutely splendiferous afternoon . . .  forthwith . . .

Dame Ragnhild,

Were you ever afraid in those "bad" days?

Good Evening To You, Dame Gudrun,

Do You mean in the beginning when we found out that the Apartment Complex was not particularly in good shape - as in having a lot of drug traffic and compromising behaviour? . . .

Well, not really . . .

We were not into drugs, so did not know where the drug traffic was going on . . .

We were certainly not into compromising behaviour, so we just either pulled the blinds, or turned out the lights, and turned on the TV and said forget it . . .

As long as the doors were locked and we did not participate in the problem-causing behaviour, and we did not go out at night - which we hardly ever do anyway, we were fine . . .

Thank Goodness that has changed for the better, anyway . . .

And with the increased Floodlights, and Security Patrols, and the Intercom Front and Rear Door System, where one can only enter either by a key, or being let in by a tenant or the office, the Security seems fairly great . . .

Have an absolutely splendiferous evening . . . forthwith . . .