The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Sigrdrífa the Priestess

Joining the Wyrd of Midgard Hof in Stormark

Sigrdrífa the Valkyrie,

You are hereby accepted into the Wyrd of Midgard Hof in Stormark and appointed a Stormarksgythia.

I, as head of the Wyrd of Midgard Hof in Stormark, shall from this day forth bear the title of Principal Stormarksgythia.

I've been away for some time, and still finding my way around with all of the changes.

I'm not sure what requirements there might be for joining the Hof, but I'm hoping that as the former Stormarksgothi, I will be able to do so.

Emeritus Crown Prince Thorfinn Magnusson

I'm not sure what requirements there might be for joining the Hof, but I'm hoping that as the former Stormarksgothi, I will be able to do so.

That would be great! :)

I've been away for some time, and still finding my way around with all of the changes.

Emeritus Crown Prince Thorfinn Magnusson

Your Most Imperial and Most Royal Highness,

We would be delighted to receive you back into the Wyrd of Midgard Hof in Stormark! I will induct you shortly.

offeringlady.gif

Instrument of Induction of Krónjarl Thorfinn Magnusson of the House of the Descendants of Freyja

His Most Imperial and Most Royal Highness Fyrrverandi Krónjarl Thorfinn Magnusson of the House of the Descendants of Freyja, Imperial Chieftain of the Frostathing, Royal Chieftain of Drangetoft, Jarl of Orkney and Møre, is hereby accepted into the Wyrd of Midgard Hof in Stormark and appointed a Stormarksgothi.

Signed,

The Lady Principal Stormarksgythia
High Priestess of the Temple of Love
Head of the Wyrd of Midgard Hof in Stormark.

It is really good to see that Fyrrverandi Krónjarl Thorfinn is back as Stormarksgothi at the Wyrd of Midgard Hof in Stormark. :thumbsup:

I happily accept the induction back into the Hof and appointment as a Stormarksgothi.

Thorfinn Magnusson

Stormarksgothi

I'm very glad to hear that. :)

Do you have any plans for your tenure as Stormarksgothi?

I'm very glad to hear that. :)

Do you have any plans for your tenure as Stormarksgothi?

I don't have any specific plans at this point.

Is there any area in particular that might require attention?

My strengths tend to be in research and learning/teaching about the gods and other holy wights. I see ceremony as a sort of necessary evil in my position as gothi.

(as a little background, I'm a Heathen outside of my micronational persona, and act as gothi for a small hearth)

Thorfinn Magnusson

Stormarksgothi

(as a little background, I'm a Heathen outside of my micronational persona, and act as gothi for a small hearth)

Your Most Imperial Highness,

How many members does your hearth have?

Is there any area in particular that might require attention?

Yes, there is. Storjarla Fränzi-Ferdinanda, favourite niece of High King Harald, is going to marry Duke Jonas Windsor from Batavia. She wants to marry in an Asatru ceremony on the Thingvellir. Could you do some research into Asatru weddings?

High King Harald,

Our hearth is quite small, and consists only of me and my wife plus a couple we are friends with and their 3 young children.

Stormarksgythia,

I may have posted a sample wedding ceremony here in the Hof many years ago, but I will supplement that with further research. I believe I have an excellent source sitting on a bookshelf across the room.

Thorfinn Magnusson

Stormarksgothi

Some research I did previously for a marriage some years ago here in Stormark:

http://www.drizzle.com/~celyn/mrwp/vikwed6.txt

(there were several more links, but they are all now broken)

Some more online info:

http://members.iquest.net/~chaviland/asatru_wedding.html

http://www.reeves-hall.org/wedding-PeterAmber.htm (example of a Asatru ceremony)

(video of an Asatru wedding)

I also have a book with copious historical details and comments about modern Asatru marriage practices, but the chapter is about 20 pages long, so it's a little hard to copy for use here.

Thorfinn Magnusson

Stormarksgothi

I also have a book with copious historical details and comments about modern Asatru marriage practices, but the chapter is about 20 pages long, so it's a little hard to copy for use here.

Thorfinn Stormarksgothi,

Thank you very much for this research.

Would there be any historical details from that book that would be appropriate to include them in the wedding ceremony?

Would there be any historical details from that book that would be appropriate to include them in the wedding ceremony?

Here is some information from the book:

A contract was negotiated and sworn to defining what each partner or their families would contribute to the new household.

The wife's dowry was also her insurance against divorce, reverting to her if the marriage failed.

Marriages were more of a legal contract between families for the raising of children to continue the clan - in Denmark, there were laws granting "women free choice in marriage", whereas in Iceland, "the woman's consent was not mandatory." However, in most of the sagas, "marriages were made with the consent or at least the eventual acceptance of the woman."

It should be noted, however, that as it was relatively easy for a woman to obtain a divorce, chances are that most marriages were with the woman's consent.

According to Tacitus, "the gifts given by the husband to the wife are 'cattle, bridle and horse, and a shield with spear and sword. It is to share these that the wife is accepted by the husband, and she in turn brings some piece of armament to him...A similar exchange took place in Icelandic marriages, although the weapons were replaced by sums of money."

Thorfinn Magnusson

Stormarksgothi