The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Vilhjálm Kormak

A new name for our state?

Your Most Sacred Majesties,

Your Royal Excellencies,

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As I was looking for a Celticized name for myself, I wondered in what language I should dig deeper into. Should it be in Irish, as the name of the Realm is? Or in Welsh, as the title of the Queen? Perhaps Cornish, or Manx? Or Breton even?

(I settled for Welsh but that's another story)

The thing is I found it a bit strange to have the country's name in a language that does not represent all of the land, so I sought for sources of possible names that could unite the Celtic diversity as well as being able tohave a neutral translation in English. Also, Dun Gail Dara means "Celtic Oak Fort" if my Celtic serves me right, but in a grammatically unsound way.

I came up with two suggestions:

Islands of/in the Sun

This refers to the geographical location of Dun Gail Dara. This is also translatable into most Celtic languages. For example, it would be (yr[/]) Ynysoedd yr Haul in Welsh and Na hOleáin faoin nGrian in Irish. I think the declensions are correct, but Celtic languages are for me very difficult to write in. It is also possible to translate it to old Norse, making it Sólareyjar.

Avalon and the Highlands

Dun Gail Dara consists of the southern portion of the island that Nidaros, Dun Gail Dara and New Brannum share (Fd. Feanoria) and the isle of Avalon. Fd Feanoria is covered with mountains, cliffs and a high plateau ("Highlands") and the rest of the land is Avalon. Naming the country after these features would further the geographic mindfulness of our country and be able to draw on the myths of the Scottish highlands and on Avalon (which also has parallels in Tír na nÓg and Mag Mell). Again, we can translate it to Welsh and Irish: Afallon ac yr Ucheldiroedd and Ablach agus na Garbhchríocha.

Possible long form names for the country then:

AN tARDRÍOCHT NA nOLEÁN FAOIN nGRIAN

YR YMERODRAETH YNYSOEDD YR HAUL

AN tARDRÍOCHT NA hABHLAICH AGUS NA nGHARBHCHRÍOCH

YR YMERODRAETH AFALLON AC YR UCHELDIROEDD

The titles of the High Queen would reflect this as well. "Ardríocht" means "exalted kingdom" and "ymerodreath" "empire". I found it wrong to call the country merely a "realm" or "kingdom" while the High Queen is "high". A High Queen rules over minor kings and queens.

I furthermore thought that the system of nobility in the land, if we decide to keep it, would involve a more Celticized way. Instead of continental European, it would have kings and queens under the High Queen as the first layer of the "hierarchy", and then princes and princesses. And then knights. And end there.

Thoughts?

Islands of/in the Sun

This refers to the geographical location of Dun Gail Dara. This is also translatable into most Celtic languages. For example, it would be (yr[/]) Ynysoedd yr Haul in Welsh and Na hOleáin faoin nGrian in Irish. I think the declensions are correct, but Celtic languages are for me very difficult to write in. It is also possible to translate it to old Norse, making it Sólareyjar.

That would be, in my opinion, the best new name for Dún Gail Dara in the light of certain developments that are to come.

The Emperor, Lady Aoife and I have agreed that Nidaros and Deryacezamin are to be merged into Dún Gail Dara.

Very true. This has been done to create a more viable Autonomous Country by concentrating resources.

Queen Astrid and Prince Bjarngeir will keep their titles for they fit in the new Celticized system of nobility of Dún Gail Dara.

The thing is I found it a bit strange to have the country's name in a language that does not represent all of the land, so I sought for sources of possible names that could unite the Celtic diversity as well as being able tohave a neutral translation in English. Also, Dun Gail Dara means "Celtic Oak Fort" if my Celtic serves me right, but in a grammatically unsound way.

The name Dún Gail Dara was indeed created by me by more or less randomly combining the names a couple of Irish counties.

Possible long form names for the country then:

AN tARDRÍOCHT NA nOLEÁN FAOIN nGRIAN

YR YMERODRAETH YNYSOEDD YR HAUL

AN tARDRÍOCHT NA hABHLAICH AGUS NA nGHARBHCHRÍOCH

YR YMERODRAETH AFALLON AC YR UCHELDIROEDD

Yr Ymerodreath Ynysoedd yr Haul is the name for me. biggrin.gif

The Emperor, Lady Aoife and I have agreed that Nidaros and Deryacezamin are to be merged into Dún Gail Dara.

Indeed.

Nidaros and Deryacezamin are to be merged into Dún Gail Dara

This is a good idea. I'm not a citizen of any of these nations, so my opinion is not important. Still I want it to be known.

Yr Ymerodreath Ynysoedd yr Haul

How does one pronounce this? Anybody good in phonetics?

This is a good idea. I'm not a citizen of any of these nations, so my opinion is not important. Still I want it to be known.

Sir Polten,

Your opinion is, as always, highly valued. smile.gif