The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Galinn Karisson

THE WEDDING OF AOIFE AND CAMILLUS

Excitement buzzes in the air, as guests gather in the specially built Sanctuary of Sts. Patrick and Anthony. The clouds are breaking, and the sun shines through the brightly colored stain-glass, and the oculus in the wooden dome.

His Holiness arrives on horse, with his renowned Damascus Cuirassiers surrounding. He dismounts, wearing the full military dress of the King of Treisenberg, his golden papal sash with embroidered silver cross and Celtic knot, and his newly awarded collar as a Knight Commander of the Harp. He meets the Emperor near the altar, as the Papal Band playfully plays “Garry Owen.”

He smiles and winks to the band as the approaches, his way of showing thanks for the relief of his nervousness.

“A little late, aren’t we Royal Cousin,” the Emperor playfully jests, as the others in the wedding party snicker. His Holiness gives a hearty laugh: “Love is a cruel mistress, and rarely on time,” retorts the young royal. “Thank you, sire, for being my best man,” he whispers. The Emperor nods in approval.

Cardinal Patreksson leans over and asks: “Shall we commence, Your Holiness?”

“Hmm? Oh yes, of course!” His Holiness says with a chuckle.

The Royal Pipers begin playing as they process through the jubilant crowds, outside the church. The procession grows louder and louder as they near the entrance. The procession halts, as a young child approaches Lady Aoife. The child hands the bride-to-be a right side up silver horseshoe, as the crowd lovingly gazes at the scene. The Queen kneels down and kisses the child, and the crowd cheers at this blessing of good luck and prosperity.

Finally, the Pope sees his bride from across the aisle, and stands awestruck. She is dressed in a stunning dress of white silk, embroidered in gold, a traditional tartan pinned with an Ancient Celtic Brooch. The bright rays of the sun hit her amazing tiara, and her shining hair. “Well done Camillus,” the Emperor whispers.

Suddenly, the crowd rises; attendants dressed in white, holding specially crafted papal candles, lead the bridal party down the aisle. The guests awe at the Queen’s Maid of Honor, Queen Astrid, almost as stunning as the bride herself in her silk dress.

Finally, a piper proceeds down the aisle, playing the “Shepard’s Serenade”, attendants following, and Lady Aoife slowly walks down the aisle, as the guests gasp and shed tears of joy at the scene. Finally, the couple meets in front of the altar, surrounded by candles, illuminating the bride and groom.

Camillus smiles at Aoife, who whispers into his ear and gently nudges: “Too late to turn back, my love.” “I could, but I think they took my horse back to the stable, my sweet.” The two chuckle.

The ceremony begins:

Cardinal Patreksson:

*Gives the apostolic blessing* In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

All: Amen.

Cardinal Patreksson:

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

All: And also with you.

Cardinal Patreksson:

Father,

you have made the bond of marriage a holy mystery,

a symbol of Christ's love for his Church.

Hear our prayers for Camillus and Aoife

With faith in you and in each other

they pledge their love today.

May their lives always bear witness

to the reality of that love.

We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,

who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,

one God, for ever and ever.

*The whole crowd sings* All:

Glory to God in the highest,

and peace to his people on earth.

Lord God, heavenly King, almighty God and Father,

we worship you, we give you thanks,

we praise you for your glory.

Lord Jesus Christ, only son of the Father,

Lord God, Lamb of God,

you take away the sin of the world: have mercy on us;

you are seated at the right hand of the Father,

receive our prayer.

For you alone are the Holy One,

you alone are the Lord,

you alone are the Most High, Jesus Christ,

with the Holy Spirit, in the glory of God the Father.

Amen.

Cardinal Patreksson: Be Seated

*All sit*

Queen Astrid:

The Lord God said, `It is not good that the man should be alone. I will make him a helpmate.' So from the soil the Lord God fashioned all the wild beasts and all the birds of heaven. These he brought to the man to see what he would call them; each one was to bear the name the man would give it. The man gave names to all the cattle, all the birds of heaven and all the wild beasts. But no helpmate suitable for man was found for him. So the Lord God made the man fall into a deep sleep. And while he slept, he took one of his ribs and enclosed it in flesh. The Lord God built the rib he had taken from the man into a woman, and brought her to the man. The man exclaimed: `This at last is bone from my bones, and flesh from my flesh! This is to be called woman for this was taken from man.' This is why a man leaves his father and mother and joins himself to his wife, and they become one body. This is the word of the Lord.

All: Thanks be to God.

HIM The Empress Asa:

Response: The Lord is kind and merciful.

All: The Lord is kind and merciful.

1 My soul, give thanks to the Lord,

all my being, bless his holy name.

My soul, give thanks to the Lord

and never forget all his blessings. R/.

2 The Lord is compassion and love,

slow to anger and rich in mercy.

As a father has compassion on his sons,

the Lord has pity on those who fear him. R/.

3 The love of the Lord is everlasting

upon those who hold him in fear;

his justice reaches out to children's children

when they keep his covenant in truth. R/.

HIM The Emperor:

Think of God's mercy, my brothers, and worship him, I beg you, in a way that is worthy of thinking beings, by offering your living bodies as a holy sacrifice, truly pleasing to God. Do not model yourselves on the behaviour of the world around you, but let your behaviour change, modelled by your new mind. This is the only way to discover the will of God and know what is good, what it is that God wants, what is the perfect thing to do. Do not let your love be a pretence, but sincerely prefer good to evil. Love each other as much as brothers should, and have a profound respect for each other. Work for the Lord with untiring effort and with great earnestness of spirit. If you have hope, this will make you cheerful. Do not give up if trials come; and keep on praying. If any of the saints are in need you must share with them; and you should make hospitality your special care.

Bless those who persecute you: never curse them, bless them. Rejoice with those who rejoice and be sad with those in sorrow. Treat everyone with equal kindness; never be condescending but make real friends with the poor. Do not allow yourself to become self-satisfied. Never repay evil with evil but let everyone see that you are interested only in the highest ideals. Do all you can to live at peace with everyone. This is the word of the Lord.

All: Thanks be to God.

*All rise, and Cardinal Patreksson approaches the podium*

All: Glory and praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ!

God is love; let us love one another as he has loved us. Glory and praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ!

Cardinal Patreksson:

Jesus said to his disciples: This is my commandment: love one another, as I have loved you. A man can have no greater love than to lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends, if you do what I command you. I shall not call you servants any more, because a servant does not know his master's business; I call you friends, because I have made known to you everything I have learnt from my Father. You did not choose me, no, I chose you; and I commissioned you to go out and to bear fruit, fruit that will last; and then the Father will give you anything you ask him in my name. This is the Gospel of the Lord.

All: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.

* Cardinal Patreksson approaches the bride and groom, and asks them to kneel*

Cardinal Patreksson introduces the rite of marriage with these or similar words:

My dear friends, Aoife and Camillus, you have come together in this church so that the Lord may seal and strengthen your love in the presence of the Church's minister and this community. Christ abundantly blesses this love. He has already consecrated you in baptism and now he enriches and strengthens you by a special sacrament so that you may assume the duties of marriage in mutual and lasting fidelity. And so, in the presence of the Church, I ask you to state your intentions.

His Eminence asks, "Who gives this woman to be wed?" He then takes Lady Aoife’s hand from the Emperor, giving away the bride, and clasps it to the hand of His Holiness. The Cardinal Patreksson wraps the clasped hands in the end of his stole.

Cardinal Patreksson: Camillus and Aoife, have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourselves to each other in marriage?

Camillus: I have.

Aoife: I have.

Cardinal Patreksson: Will you love and honour each other as man and wife for the rest of your lives?

Camillus: I will.

Aoife: I will.

Cardinal Patreksson: Since it is your intention to enter into marriage, declare your consent before God and his Church.

*Lovingly, His Holiness turns his head, and gazes into the eyes if his bride*

Camillus: I, Camillus, hold you as the light of my heart. To you, I give my being, my soul, my confidence, and my trust. Today, I join my life to yours, as your friend, your lover, and your confidant. Let me be the shoulder you lean on, the rock on which you rest, the companion of your life. With you I will walk my path from this day forward. I shall defend you, if you defend me; I will follow you, if you follow me, in this life, and in the next.

*Lady Aoife joins her husband in a smile, as both tear up in the moment*

Aoife: I, Aoife, vow to you the first cut of my meat, the first sip of my wine, from this day on it shall be only your name I cry out in the night and into your eyes that I smile each morning; I shall be a shield for your back as you are for mine, no shall a grievous word be spoken about us, for our marriage is sacred between us and no stranger shall hear my grievance. Above and beyond this, I will cherish and honor you through this life and into the next.

Cardinal Patreksson:

You have declared your consent before the church.

May the Lord in his goodness strengthen your consent

and fill your both with his blessings.

What God has joined, no one must divide.

Cardinal Patreksson: May I have the rings?

His Holiness turns to the Emperor. “Was I to bring the rings?” the Emperor smiles, as the crowd and the happy couple burst into laughter. The rings are placed on a silver platter, emblazoned with a Celtic knot and engraved with the names of the bride and groom.

Cardinal Patreksson: May the Lord bless these rings which you give to each other as the sign of your love and fidelity.

*Camillus picks up the ring of his bride*

user posted image

Camillus: *Placing the ring on Aoife’s finger* Aoife, take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

*Aoife picks up the ring of her groom*

user posted image

Aoife: *Placing the ring on Camillus finger* Camillus, take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity.

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

*Cardinal Patreksson leads the couple to the altar to a golden, two-handled cup, filled with blessed wine. In a traditional sign of ‘togetherness’ the two drink from the cup, as the crowd gazes on. Then, both are given a candle, each of which is then lit, and light the matrimony candle aside the altar. The two are then lead down back to the front of the altar*

Cardinal Patreksson: I now proclaim Aoife and Camillus husband and wife in the sight of all those present, in the sight of their realms, and in the sight of Almighty God. You may now kiss the bride.

“Yee-haw!” yells His Holiness, as the two embrace and kiss, with the crowd cheering. The Papal and Royal Guards belt out “Three cheers for the Royal Couple! ‘Hip-hip, Huzzah!’ ‘Hip-hip, huzzah!’ ‘Hip-hip, huzzah!’ “

Cardinal Patreksson: And may almighty God bless you all, the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Hand in hand, the newly-weds are led up the aisle by their attendants, and the Royal Bands, with Pipes Playing. His Holiness is handed golden coins at the entrance of the church and tosses them to the children in the crowds outside, as they scramble widely for them. All laugh, and the couple gleams, and are led to an open-air carriage of white and gold, led by twelve white stallions. The two kiss one more time for the crowds and are led to the wedding party.

Congratulations to the Royal Couple! party.gif