The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  

To begin with, there have to be valid grounds for the divorce. Today's societal excuses about "irreconcilable differences" and the like are not considered reasons under the Nimatullahi Rule. Basically, the reason has to be something major: infidelity of a spouse, becoming apostate, violating the wedding contract, failure to present the promised dower, that sort of thing.

Should such a condition exist, the petitioner will consult with a Master, who will validate the reason and contact the other party with the information and desire for a divorce. If the other person agrees, it's a simple matter. If not, the case will be brought before a court of qualified individuals who will mediate the divorce. In some cases, it is determined that separation would be too damaging, and is therefore denied. But usually it is approved and a settlement is reached. If the man is the petitioner, he will be required to provide for his ex-wife and any children the marriage produced, until such time as she re-marries. He will also be required to do all that should the woman petition on grounds of infidelity or failure to provide the agreed-upon dower.

Wow! That's quite an impressive record indeed. What's the secret of your family's marital succes, Your Most Imperial Majesty?

They are very good at keeping no good idiots out. wink.gif

In the beginning, I am pretty sure that religious zeal had a lot to do with the success of marriages. Now, I am going to chalk it up to the fact that the men in our family are supremely over-protective (ensuring that the women only marry great men) and the women are fiercely loyal (ensuring that marriages remain strong no matter what).

Basically, the reason has to be something major: infidelity of a spouse, becoming apostate, violating the wedding contract, failure to present the promised dower, that sort of thing.

What about domestic violence and impotence?

What's a Triple Talaq? :confused:

As far as I know Talaq means something like "I divorce thee". If a man says it three times the couple is divorced and they cannot get married again without her marrying another man and divorcing that man too.