The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
HH The Sangkharaacha

Questions and Answers

Buddhism is an ancient way of life. It was founded in the fifth century BCE by Gautama Buddha and despite the great period of time that has passed, we still have questions. Some can be answered, some can't and some don't need answers. They need thought. If you would like to know more about Buddhism, why not ask a question here? The Sangkharaacha will answer them.

Thankyou for the question My Lady. For me, Buddhism means two major things; explanation and understanding. Humans have always looked for answers to questions. You are asking me a question right now because as a human being, you want to know. We are curious and so we fill our lives with ideas to give answers to our questions and to fufill our curiosity. I ask questions about the cosmos and about life, existance and feelings, love and hate, suffering and happiness. When I look, I find the answers in the teachings of Buddha and Buddha helps me to understand. He explains and I understand. By my understanding, I learn and by learning I become a better person. Buddhism also means a focus on the good and I believe that we all want to be good. Buddhism shows me how to be good because it explains why I should be good and how I should be good. And so I understand.

I hope that answers your question My Lady. Many blessings to you.

Thankyou for your question Sir Dagfinn.

Buddhism is much like Christianity in some ways because it offers an idea of salvation. But unlike Christianity, there is no ritual or gesture to become a Bhuddist. It is more an internal change than an external symbol of a code of beliefs. What we look for as Buddhists, is enlightenment by taking refuge in the Three Jewels ; the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. We take refuge in teaching and teachers (Buddha), in truth and in the way of the Buddha (Dharma) and in our fellow buddhists (Sangha). There is alot more to Buddhism than just those things and I hope that in time, I can explain more of these things to you.

How one becomes a buddhist is a matter of personal choice. Let me tell you a story. Once, there was a man called Upali. He was the follower of another religion and he went up to the Buddha to try and convert him. In a modern day setting, he would probably own a TV station but Upali kept bashing on about his religion. But he listened to what Buddha said and eventually, Upali wanted to follow Buddha. So he said, "How do I follow you?". And Buddha said, "Make a proper investigation first". So, when one wants to become a Buddhist, one must investigate Buddhism. When you feel you are truly following the ways of Buddha, you are a buddhist. No formal ceremony is needed but some prefer it. If one wishes to have a formal expression, one can recite the following in the Sangha or just privately;

Namo tassa, bhagavato, arahato samma sambuddhasa

Namo tassa, bhagavato, arahato samma sambuddhasa

Namo tassa, bhagavato, arahato, samma sambuddhasa

Buddham saranam gacchami,

Dhammam saranam gacchami,

Sangham saranam gacchami.

Dutiyampi Buddham saranam gacchami,

Dutiyampi Dhammam saranam gacchami,

Dutiyampi Sangham saranam gacchami.

Tatiyampi Buddham saranam gacchami,

Tatiyampi Dhammam saranam gacchami,

Tatiyampi Sangham saranam gacchami.

Which means;

Homage to Him, the Exalted One, the Worthy One, The Supremely Enlightened One

I go to the Buddha as my refuge.

I go to the Dhamma as my refuge.

I go to the Sangha as my refuge.

For the second time, I go to the Buddha as my refuge.

For the second time, I go to the Dhamma as my refuge.

For the second time, I go to the Sangha as my refuge.

For the third time, I go to the Buddha as my refuge.

For the third time, I go to the Dhamma as my refuge.

For the third time, I go to the Sangha as my refuge.

And when you have said that - learn and begin. Be good. Learn the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path and then try and follow them. Meditate on them, live them. Live by the Five Precepts also. In time, I will explain these things in greater detail but I hope that for now, I have answered your question.

Many blessings to you, now and always.

Thankyou for your question Your Grace. I believe that Buddhism has had a positive impact on my life because I feel that I have a better understanding of "why". Why am I here? Why do I feel as I do? Why can't I do this? The answers can always be found in the teachings of Buddha. But it isn't just an understanding of "why", it's also the connection with the earth I feel now. When I meditate, my mind opens and I am taken on wonderful journeys yet I remain spiritually connected to the earth and everything in it. I feel that Buddhism tells us to be better people and to care for our brothers and sisters - I try to do that and therefore, I feel I am a better person for following the path of Buddha.

I hope that that answers your question. Many blessings to you.

Your Grace, thankyou for your question. As with many people in the West, I have come to see Buddhism as a good path to live by life by. But I exercise caution. We must be careful not to simply adopt the hallmarks of Buddhism, thus perverting ancient wisdom. By this, I mean that we should be careful not to cheapen Buddhism in all it's traditions. We must adopt, adapt and understand. I hope that I have done that and that by that understanding, I am truly a Buddhist.

I hope this answers your question. Many blessings to you.