Eir ("help" or "mercy" in Old Norse) is, in Norse mythology, a goddess of the Æsir who is called 'best of physicians' in the Edda. Eir is also counted among the Valkyries, connecting her to the ability to 'choose the slain' and awaken the dead. She was skilled at all kinds of healing, particularly herbcraft, and was even capable of resurrection. She is one of the goddesses on the mountain Lyfia ("to heal through magic"). She was also good friends with Frigg and is listed as one of her twelve handmaidens. Eir is also the name of one of the nine maidens who serve the giantess Menglöd in the poem Svipdagsmál.

As a master physician, Eir is a patroness of health-care workers. She is called upon by modern Heathens not only for physical healing, but also for mental, emotional and spiritual healing. It is said that Eir would bestow healing upon all women who sought her out, and she taught only women her secret arts. Accordingly, only women could learn the art of healing in Scandinavia.

Eir is a physician Goddess mentioned by Snorri Sturluson in the Younger (Poetic) Edda. This is basically all that survives about Eir. Her name means "copper" or "brass" and is cognate with the English word "ore." In light of this, the forge and metalwork aspects Eleiren has seen, while not in surviving lore, do not surprise me. Medicine in Norse culture was evidently considered mostly a job done by women.

Basic traits:

Appearance : Slender with reddish-blond hair, clear blue eyes, & pale skin. Unclothed, her arms show an amazingly muscular build. She usually wears a red or gray gown with a blue hooded cloak that is fastened over her chest with a red (copper?) brooch shaped like a tree. She is approximately 5'9" - 5'11"

Colors (different sources give differing information) : blue & red/Green and white are her sacred colors.

Symbols : fire/forges (& tools of a forge)/swords/intricate jewelry

Animals : a large bay mare (dark red earth color that blends into darker brown/black down the legs & mane)/Her Sacred animals are the Cow, Raven, and The Butterfly.

Tree : The birch tree is her holy tree.

Mineral : Copper is her mineral.

Roles/attributes:

defender and aid to warriors

creative energy

metal smith

fire

healing

perseverance

patience

The Goddess, Eir. Eir is the Goddess of healing. Traditionally, she teaches her healing to women only.

Eir is able to provide healing to those that are in need. She also teaches her knowledge to women who are patient enough to wait and listen to her.

The Goddess Eir uses the Runes, Berkana, Laguz, and Uruz to represent her.

------------

Eir. From Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eir

The Goddess Eir. From Jordsvin's Norse Heathen Pages. http://home.earthlink.net/~jordsvin/Heathe...ddess%20Eir.htm

The Goddess Eir. From The White Willow. http://www.thewhitewillow.com/gallery/Eir.html

Good Afternoon To You, Crown Prince Thorfinn,

What An Amazingly Beautiful God Eir is!!! . . .

I would certainly value Her Expert Guidance and Teachings!!! . . .

Have A Most Splendifeorus Afternoon . . . Forthwith . ..

Eir is not among the most popular goddesses among modern Asatruar, certainly not on the level of Frigga and Freyja. However, her association with healing ensures that some will feel a close connection to her, and that many will seek to connect with her in times of need.

Good Eveniing To You, My Gentle Friends,

I am sure that Eir is indeed a Most Compassionate Goddess, and She does seem to be Most Thorough in providing Tender Loving Care to those who seek Her Assistance . . .

Have A Most Splendiferous Evening . . . Forthwith . . .

Good Morning To You, Crown Prince Thorfinn,

I was wondering, does The Goddess Eir extend Her help for healing in all areas, or is Her assistance only for Life-or-Death, or Emergency Situations??? . . .

Does She help those in Childbirth, those with AIDS, women with contagious diseases, or perhaps a Lady in distress with the flu . . .

I am not seeming to be flippant about this question - I was just thinking that health care issues cover such a wide variety of topics . . .

Certainly Her Compassion would extend to all those in need of Her Guidance . . .

Have A Most Thoughtful Morning . . . Forthwith . . .

Heilsa!

Please forgive my rather surprised crashing in on this topic. I googled my name last night in boredom and found this thread and the questions. Personally, I'm still recovering from surprise that what was written as a simple exercise is becoming so widely used!

So, on that note, let me just say that yes, I am the Eleiren who wrote the outline about Eir for Jordsvin. Please bear in mind that I have *only* my own personal experiences with her to go by. She may have other attributes which I am not aware of because, well, I may not be in need of them! If she's a defender as well, and I don't need defending, I wouldn't see that side of her, if that clarifies?

On to the questions:

"I was wondering, does The Goddess Eir extend Her help for healing in all areas, or is Her assistance only for Life-or-Death, or Emergency Situations??? . . .

Does She help those in Childbirth, those with AIDS, women with contagious diseases, or perhaps a Lady in distress with the flu . . ."

IME (in my experiences) Eir can assist in physical healing, but most of her work falls to healing the spirit and mind. I only learned of her role as a physical healer, and the one who taught healing to women, much later. I can't see why she would not answer the call of someone with any of these illnesses, personally. Childbirth is not hers specifically (she's not Artemis, in other words), but would she render aid to a lady or a child in that process?

To answer that I simply look at the heart of a healer in general. Healers become healers because they desire to heal. They do not look at what the illness or situation is, they seek to bring health and wholeness back to the patient, and to alleviate suffering. Childbirth is a dangerous time for women, even in an advanced medical setting. Calling on a healer goddess (Eir) in that time would seem wise to me as she would see troubles arising long before others and could render her aid to preserve the life of mother and child.

The caution I would give is this. As I have always seen and maintained. Eir is NOT a goddess of compassion. She can heal, yes. She can also beat you soundly about the head and shoulders if you're not cleaning up your own messes! If she has told you to face a situation in your life in order to promote the healing of your mind or spirit, and you do not face it, do not ask her for anything until you do. Trust me, spare yourself a beating! *lol*

I had no idea that there WERE others interested in Eir, to be honest, so if anyone else wants to jump in and revive this thread I would be most interested in continuing the discussions!

Eleiren,

Welcome to Stormark!

I welcome your additions to the discussion on Eir. I have studied her mostly from an academic standpoint (though I do speak to her frequently, I'm not always clear on any answer), but having the viewpoint of someone who has worked with her on a more spiritual level is most enlightening.

Eirlen,

May I ask you when and why you became interested in Eir?

Eirlen,

May I ask you when and why you became interested in Eir?

I became interested in Eir when she came to me in a dream. That story is also told in the outline I wrote those many years ago. In short, she came to me in a dream, told me that my name was Eleiren and welcomed me home. Then she annointed me, and I woke up. (I did say that this was in short, yes?) biggrin.gif

She kept coming around and it was several months into my knowing of her before I even knew that she was Norse in origin! I was in a very dark place in those times though, and she walked with me until I came through them. Her presence changed my life, healed hurts that I don't think anyone else could have, and set me on a far better road.