The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Polten

11 July - Flemish holiday

Dear Stormarkians,

Next week we, in Flanders, celebrate our Flemish National Holiday. Many centuries ago we fought the arrogant French knights and gave them a beating. For those interested in the battle itself, I'll post a link in de forum of our Imperial academy. (Thank you Sir Gudhsten for your generous coöperation).

Today we drink to the American nation, next week, on the 11th of july, we drink to the Flemish people.

cheers.gif

There's a wide variety of festivities. The list of those supported by the governement is here: http://www.11daagsevlaanderen.net/evenementengids.php

(how is your flemmish?)

There are 458 events listed. Most are shows, cultural events and fireworks.

Local initiatives like street BBQ are encouraged. And of course there are the obligatory dances in tents ..... With local elections coming up after the summer there will be a lot of handshaking, promisses etc....

Polten

Good Morning To You, My Gentle Friends,

Obligatory Dances In Tents??? . . .

Hmmm . . .

Well, I don't know . . .

It sounds, shall we say, politely, rather different . . .

Oh Well . . .

Unfortunately, my Flemmish is - Non-Existent . . .

So, I leave all manner of Flemmish Speachmaking to Esteemed Others . . .

Have A Most Splendiferous Morning . . . Forthwith . . .

Ha,

A tricky question.

Though the governement of the community encourages the festivities, they did not yet manage to convince the companies to give their employees a day off. So it will be calm for us. BBQ with a few neighbours, (don't misunderstand me, the neighbours do not get grilled - there will be an interesting experiment with marinated shrimps), I've chosen a few bottles of wine from the cellar (my turn this year). It will be nice. 12th july will be a poor working day.

This is a recent development. In order to have a national holiday, one needs a nation. Flanders became a state in the fedaral country which is Belgium in 1970. There were little responsablilties in those days but we are getting more rights. Since those days, 11 july is the 'national' holiday.

When you realise that 60% of the Belgians are Flemmish and that in the 1960's the governement still was 100% frenchspeaking, you will understand that we are making good progress. In my grandfather's days, there was only basic school in Flemmish. For those over 14 who wanted to learn there were only French (mainly catholic)schools. It's my personal opinion that the church played a dirty part here to keep the people ignorant (= cheap labor).

Good Afternoon To You, Sir Polten,

I am sure that whatever festivities are planned for July 11th will be Absolutely Marvellous Indeed!!! . . .

Have A Most Splendiferous Afternoon . . . Forthwith . . .

The early ones were the best. In those days, I still went to school, so it was not a workingday. (I'm writing this now at the office, during lunchbreak sad.gif )

In those days it gave a rebelious satisfaction, kind of putting your tongue out at the establishment. There was little entertainment but great fun.

Now we have a big event but it gives little satisfaction.

bonk.gif

No, just kidding. It was a 'decent' party. The marinated shrimps were nice (some of them very nice) and there was too much wine but not enough to get us singing out loud. So it was hard to get up this morning but as my father-in-law puts it: The fair is worth a whipping.

Good Morning To You, Sir Polten,

I would offer this Tiny Thought for Your Esteemed Consideration, if I may, please . . .

It would seem to me that the Flemish National Holiday of July 11th went rather well - Good Times and Great Memories were to be had by all!!! . . .

Yes, Belgian national holiday is 21 july. There's not much celebration going on (military parade and that sort of nonsense) but we get a day off.

have you ever been to brussels on a 21st july, polten? uhmm, that's right, today/this evening would actually be a possibilty rolleyes.gif

The festivities on 21 july undoubtedly reach higher than those on 11 july, although that might be hard to admit for some. I didn't get a day-off on 11 july btw...

ps. and yes, I am flemish/belgian

Good Morning To You, My Gentle Friends,

This is all so Absolutely Fascinating!!! . . .

Sir Polten, do share more of Your Thoughts from Your Nstive Homeland with us, please . . .