Sign in to follow this  
Lancelin Musgrave

Sunscreen Chemicals Absorbed into Your Blood Stream

A High Priestess wishes to convey that she doesn't use sunscreen, and she would only use bug spray if she knew there was a good chance of running into bugs where she was going. Otherwise, she prefers to stay away from rubbing stuff onto an organ that, though tough, is ultimately permeable.

Pray be adviseed that this is not terribly surprising. In general don't put anything on your skin that would be toxic and you'd not want inside. The skin soaks up stuff. But how well it does depends on the molecular size apparently.

Supposedly the stuff that constitutes a nerve toxin to insects in permethrin, (synthetic imitation of the natural insecticide in the chrysanthemum) is safe to use on mammals because the size of the molecules is large enough the skin does not pick it up, they use it on horses constantly for fly/tick repellent, and I've used it all over myself with no short term bad effect.

One time use when I was sleeping outside and got into a mess of seed ticks. But I'd still be wary of using it regular myself. But the chemicals in sunscreen, I'd be leery of them too. I don't use it, don't have any problem with sunburn anyway, some people do have much more sensitive skin than I do. I'd suggest using shade cloth clothing. Mesh that filters the sun.

Tan through clothing is designed to allow some sun through but still look OK to the fabric obsessed, But other ordinary mesh types would be see through and pretty close to being nude. I've heard that sensitivity to sunburn can vary a lot with the diet. But our starting point with it is genetics I guess.