The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Gudrun

Swedish Palace fury over tabloid headline

The information secretary to the Swedish royal family has hit out at Aftonbladet after the tabloid carried a story about another magazine alleging that King Carl Gustaf had been unfaithful.

But it wasn't the article that bothered the palace - it was the headline:

KING UNFAITHFUL

with Swedish

FAMOUS WOMEN

Palace comments on the rumours

"This is a new low," said Ann-Christine Jernberg, the palace press secretary.

On Sunday Aftonbladet reported that Solo, a women's magazine, had accused the king of being unfaithful and had gone so far as to name three Swedish celebrities who were said to be his mistresses.

The magazine went on to say that the king was conducting his affairs in a Stockholm apartment "which was used by his father and his grandfather for the same thing".

A shocked Aftonbladet noted that Solo's editor, Annika Leone, was unrepentant:

"This is about gossip and I don't think there's any difference between celebrities and the royal family. They are public people," she said.

Leone went on to say that she believed the king would be flattered to be linked in this way with three young, attractive women.

Sweden's royals are not afraid to turn to the courts when their good name is besmirched and last year began a lawsuit against a German publishing group, which they say has repeatedly printed lies about them.

Aftonbladet - which tried and failed to contact the three women for their side of the story - stated that Ann-Christine Jernberg had not ruled out legal action against Solo.

Now that legal action may be expanded to encompass Aftonbladet itself. The palace lawyer, Bengt Ljungkvist, is said to be looking into the possibility of court proceedings or reporting the paper to the press complaints commission.

But Aftonbladet's editor, Anders Gerdin, took the same defiant line as Annika Leone at Solo.

"In two places on the headline we emphasised that it was about rumours," he told Svenska Dagbladet.

"The only way you could misunderstand this is if you are illiterate, but then you couldn't read the article anyway," said Gerdin.

He added he would not get into a discussion with the palace about the size of letters on the headlines.

Good Afternooon To You, My Gentle Friends,

What a shame that Royal Families must endure such total nonsense as this . . .

It is true that Royal Family Members are in the public limelight, and that their activities are always watched . . .

It seems that no matter what they do, everything is watched . . and written down . . . and recorded . . .

That is very sad that things are done in this fashion . . .

The Royal Families of Sweden - and elsewhere in the world - deserve their privacy in whatever activities they choose to pursue . . .

Howeve, I suppose that there will always be journalists who enjoy seeing the negative side of stories to print . . .

Truly a very disagreeable state of affairs . . .

Have a most thoughtful afternoon . . . forthwith . . .

Unfortunatly lies sell better than the truth. And unless a way is found to strip the media from profits made from those lies they will keep on lying.

Good Evening To You, My Gentle Friends,

What is the popular saying . . .

Nothing sells like Sex, Lies, And Videotape . . .

Have a most thoughtful evening . . . forthwith . . .

Good Morning To You, Sir Vali,

Usually, one looks to the Royal Palaces for their Releases on certain information about Members of the Royal Family . . .

But basically, I suppose, one must just weed out all of the garbage that is written . . .

You don't really know exactly what may be truthful or untruthful . . .

Have a most thoughtful morning . . . forthwith . . .

Good Afternoon To You, My Gentle Friends,

I think that in Each Country, most people who bother to take the time to "get to know" their Royal Family in a general sense of the word, are rather familiar with how each Royal Family Member proceeds with their life . . .

So, when they read certain items in the papers, some people are better able to weed out the truth from the untruth . . .

At least that has been my personal experience . . .

In being the voracious reader that I am, I do read large amounts of material about the American Presidential Families, and the British Royal Families . . .

There have been numerous stories about the Bush Family concerning various - shall we say, politely - times of stress within the family concerning personal problems . . .

Knowing the Bush Family as I do ( and I use that term very loosely - as in having read volumes about them ), I can say that some of that is quite true - past problems of this nature have been a part of their lives . . .

So, in essence, the tabloids tend to take a partial truth, and then extend it very far down the line with some blown up story that is mostly false . . .

And that is done about almost every Famous Person . . .

Look at all of the reams and reams of stories that have surfaced about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, and I think a lot of the false stories stem from Our Angelina adopting an adorable little Ethiopian Baby Girl, Zahara Marley Jolie . . . I don't think half of the stories would have been printed if she had adopted American Children . . . But her first Adopted Child - is it Maddox ( or is it Madison - I can't remember - isn't that awful! ) - Angelina's first Adopted Little Boy is from Cambodia . . . I know that there are an awful lot of children right here in America that are waiting for homes . . . But does it hurt people's feelings that Our Angelina chooses to adopt from another Country??? . . . After all, it is her choice . . .

But, story after story has been written, and little Zahara's picture is all over the place . . .

And I think that is just wonderful - Anyway, Baby Zahara is SO CUTE!!! . . .

Besides, as I said it is Our Angelina's choice to do as she pleases . . .

But, I must admit, I am rather prejudiced in favour of adoption, since I myself am an adopted child, or as my Mother and Daddy used to say, Our Chosen Child . . . They never said this is Our Adopted Daughter . . . I was their Chosen Daughter, or just their Daughter . . .

And, when it comes to Royal Families, it is also their choice to do as they please . ..

Have a most thoughtful evening . . . forthwith . . .