The High Realm of Stormark
Sign in to follow this  
Sergius

Q & A with the Metrobosarch

Taking a cue from my counterpart in Natopia, Her Holiness the Lady Oracle of Thingeyri, I would be happy to answer any and all questions you may have regarding the Bovic faith and the church.

This will be a no :bs: thread :P

Your Eminence,

Does the Dozan Bovic Church also have humanoid creatures and other sentient beings like elves, dwarves, merfolk, gnomes and Giants in its service?

Milady Aoife,

Thank you for the excellent question.To my knowledge there are no non-human humanoid creatures in the church's hierarchy. There are a few elves that attend Bovic services in Elwynn, Shireroth, and a few safir probably profess to be Bovics in Klaasiya, Natopia, where the safir are a substantial population.

Thank you Lady Aoife!

The Pentheros wears a simple white hooded robe, trimmed with silver stitching. He wears an embroidered orange cope with blue lining inside. He is entitled to wear the Pentheral Tiara but often wears his hood instead. A delicate silver yoke is worn around his neck.

As a metrobosarch I would wear a similar garment, but my robes are black and my yoke is iron.

A bosarch would wear black robes, no cope, and a yoke made of wood.

Brother Sergius

Perhaps you could help me... what should I wear when I attend a Bovic service? SHould I wear the metrobosarch attire?

What is advised that normal congregants here in Stormark should wear to services?

Brother Jonathan,

If I were to attend a normal Bovic Herd and not lead it, I would just wear my black robes without cope and yoke (I prefer to be comfortable ;) ). If it were a special ceremony I would wear everything. You are free to wear your full metrobosarch regalia where and when ever you wish.

Your Eminence,

Allow me to ask how Bovic clergy is selected and where they are trained?

Lady Unna,

Thank you for an excellent question. Bovic clergy can be called to serve in two ways: 1) A metrobosarch or the pentheros will call the person to serve the Church. This request is seldom refuted and often used to call devout and modest Bovic laypersons into service of the church. Or 2) A person may hear their own calling by divine revelation from Bous, sometimes in the form of the Butter Cow or hearing the Butter Spirit's murmurs coming from their buttered toast that morning. After some consultation with a superior to ensure the legitimacy of the revelation, they will be enyoked (ordained) by the pentheros.

There are no formal training seminaries for Bovic clergy. Bosarchs are expected to be intimately familiar with the Tetrabiblios before they hear their calling and they continue their personal study for the remainder of their lives.

My lady, Eminence;

If I may add: since Bovinism is a prophetic faith, that is, we take our wisdom and inspiration from prophetic messages, we do not quite believe in theological seminaries as a training point. All Bovics are encouraged to study and discuss the texts and any relevation with one another, but ultimately, the final truth must be found in the heart of each believer. I am confident that there are genuine Calves out there who have never ever heard the message of Bous but only know it in their hearts.

Your Eminence,

Allow me to ask whether Bovics are prohibited from eating beef?

I thank Brother Jonathan for providing additional insight to the ways of the bosarch's profession. Thank you!

Lady Unna,

There are no outright dietary restrictions in the Bovic faith. However Bovics seldom, if ever, eat margarine as it is the substance used to create the anti-cow, the Margarine Cow which is a demon of total unfeeling destruction. Margarine is therefore highly stigmatized, but the holy books make no outright prohibition of it.

Grapefruits have an odd place in Bovic faith, they are an attribute of the Margarine Cow and considered to be "cursed." However, on at least once occasion the Butter Cow commanded his disciple to eat a grapefruit as a form of penance. It is my personal interpretation that grapefruits cannot be used routinely to cleanse one's sins but only in extreme circumstances and only after being instructed to do so by a bosarch or divine revelation. At other times grapefruit should be avoided.

Eating beef is fine because the Butter Cow, or any form of the Butter Spirit, never took a fleshy form. The incarnations of the Butter Cow, the Butter Bow, and even the Butter Man (Nathan the Once-Living) were ordinary butter given shape by human hands and given life by the Butter Spirit.

So, related to you question of eating beef, Bovics are allowed and encouraged to eat butter, it is seen as a holy rite to eat freshly churned butter. Anytime a Bovic eats butter throughout the course of their day (on toast, to sautee their dinner, etc) it presents an opportunity for the devout Bovic to offer reverence to Bous many times throughout the day.

Your Eminence,

Allow me to ask what the Bovic faith thinks about apostasy?

Lady Unna,

The concept of apostasy is not well defined in Bovic literature as we have few cases to form a tenet around. If a member of my Herd would come to me and say he or she no longer believed in Bous I would be saddened. I would point to the entire segment of Natopia's history when we were ruled directly by the Butter Bull. I would point to the video recordings of the Butter Bull sacrificing himself and reforming the entire city of Cape Newport after it was destroyed by terrorists. Some parts of the city are still made from the Bull's buttery remains. I would point to the resurrection of Nathan Waffel-Paine as a being of pure butter.

Of course, the world is full of many strange and inexplicable things, and if a wayward Bovic decides that Bous and his incarnations are not divine in nature, and not worthy of reverence, then we must respect their decision to leave the church. A wayward Bovic would be welcomed back with open arms whenever they choose to return to the Herd.

A bosarch who renounces the faith could not return to the clergy under any circumstances but would naturally be welcomed to rejoin the Herd as a layperson.

Perhaps the highest profile apostate is the former Metrobosarch of Tapfer, Deimos Jasonides. He renounced St. Elijah the Beloved, the very same person who his cathedral was built and named in honor of, and left the church and Natopia. He faced no official punishments aside from his appointment being overturned. However he is not welcome in Athlon and likely would not be well received in any Bovic church on Micras. We are from the same island actually, he is from a village in Athlon, 300 miles south of my birthplace of Hergon. I cannot imagine his torment, not being welcomed in his own home because he turned his back on his faith. Only he can answer to Bous when he dies and only he can bear the burden on his soul. May Bous have pity on him.

Your Eminence,

Allow me to ask what the Bovic faith thinks about heresy?

Lady Unna,

Thank you for your question. The idea of heresy is explored in the Story of the False Cow, where, as is custom, butter statues of cows are created as signs of devotion. The disciples of the Butter Cow discovered one of these devotional displays with additional figures also made of butter: squirrels, farmhands, milkmaids, etc. The disciples chastised the sculptors for embellishing upon the form of the butter cow statue, which is perfect on its own. The disciples instructed the sculptors to burn down the other butter statue abominations and let the butter seep into the earth.

Many apologies for my tardiness in my response, Your Holiness. The Pentheros is elected by the bosarchs of the church from among their own number. Pentheros Theodores set out this basic law in his landmark Bull that merged the secular Kingdom of Athlon into the hierarchy of the Bovic Church.

Your Holiness,

An excellent question. It is not explicitly stated. But there are no celibacy requirements for Bovic clergy. The Butter Cow specifically mentions his indifference (or depending on interpretation, his eager interest) in carnal relations in the Story of the Vices of Mount Vice:

Branflake lamented, "O Cow! Dost thou see the men laying with men as with women? And the all thou can eateth shrimp bar? And then the men laying with men as with women whilst eating all thou can eateth shrimp?"

And the reverent Butter Cow gazed upon the abominations and vices. Soon he turned to Branflake and spake thusly, "Well that... that's just fine."

Here the Butter Cow sends some mixed messages, as he still refers to carnal knowledge as "abominations" and "vices." Nevertheless in the next passage, the Butter Cow leaves Branflake out on the street as the Butter Cow goes in to partake of the "abominations."

And Branflake was left on the street to view the abominations as the reverent Butter Cow walked into the nearest all thou can eateth lobster bar, for he had his own butter for dressing it in.

Some Bovic theologians interpret these sections, which are the only references to sex in the Tetrobiblios, as the basis for Bovic sex positivism and the Bovic Cult of the Phallus, or at the very least for the Bovic Church to not interfere whatsoever in the sex lives of its adherents. Indeed, two of the laws given to Saint Taznim can be interpreted as Bous wanting his calves to enjoy carnal relations with an open mind and to experiment. 

Thou will embrace thy neighbor's strange customs. Thou will not covet thy neighbor's ass, thou will go to the gym instead. 

Several Metrobosarchs have been married, including Saint Asara, who was Metrobosarch of Lindstrom (and even conceived and gave birth to dearest little Clara while serving as Metrobosarch), and although we don't like talking about him much anymore, Adam Ayreon-Kalirion was married while he was Metrobosarch of Elijah's Rest.