guitar-play.gif

There is a Queen who weaves in the sky
See how She spins, see Her finger fly

She's been before us from beginning to end
She is our mother, lover and friend

She is the weaver and we are the web
She is the needle and we are thread

Lady Frigg never leaves us on the line
Through Her Love we're always doing fine!

Lady Law Speaker, Honourable Jarls,

In the name of the Three Ladies Divine, Frigga, Freyja and Idunn, Fulltrui and Sacred Queens of the Good Lands of Valtia Reborn, from Whom all Authority in the Lands of the Longships Throne is derived, Her High Holiness the Yfirstormarksgythia and High Priestess of the Thingeyri Temple, Sigrdrífa the Priestess of the House of Vanadís, Ærkejarla of the Idunn Isles, does hereby submit this Bill to the Most Honourable Jarls in this present Althing assembled for their consideration as law:

A Bill

AN ACT TO AMEND THE HIGH LAW OF THE HIGH REALM OF STORMARK TO CONCERNING THE VANIC, VIKING AND VALTIAN NATURE OF THE HIGH REALM; AND TO GRANT THE HUMANOID POPULATION BASIC RIGHTS.

Article I.

Article XXXVIII of the Fifth Chapter of the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark shall be amended to read:

"Article XXXVIII.

1. The basis of our values shall remain our Vanic and humanist inheritance. This High Law is to ensure the rule of law as well as human and humanoid rights.

2. All Stormarkers shall be entitled to the rights and freedoms set forth in this High Law, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, gender, sex, language, customs of worship, religion, sexual orientation, political or other opinion, National or social origin, property, birth or other status. The rights and freedoms set out in this High Law may be subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by Statute as can be demonstrably justified in a Vanic, Viking and Valtian society."

Article II.

Article XXXIX of the Sixth Chapter of the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark shall be amended to read:

"Article XXXIX.

1. The Storish Ancient Ways shall be the sole and exclusive customs of worship of the Imperial Level of the State and all State ceremonies shall be conducted in accordance with the same.

2. The State may take, where needed in the opinion of the High King or High Queen, (draconic) measures to defend, support and protect the Storish Ancient Ways.

3. All persons shall be free to be absent from or abstain from taking part in the State ceremonies, without penalty, save for the principal participant(s).

4. No Jarldom or other subordinate legislature shall make any law for establishing any religion, for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion."

Article III.

Article XXXXIV. of the Sixth Chapter of the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark shall be amended to read:

"Article XXXXIV.

1. The Three Grand Mysterious Sisterhoods known since times ancient beyond the memory of woman as the Daughters of Frigga, the Daughters of Freyja, and the Daughters of Idunn shall have all their ancient rights, privileges, pre-eminences, immunities, advantages and free customs.

2. The Priestessly Council composed of the highest ranking clergy of the Storish Ancient Ways which is since times ancient beyond the memory of (wo)man known as the Jólaslafðir or as the Yule Ladies, and which is since those ancient times the spiritual leadership of the Storish Vanafolk, shall have all its ancient rights, privileges, pre-eminences, immunities, advantages and free customs."

Article IV.

Article XXXXVIII of the Sixth Chapter of the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark shall be amended to read:

"Article XXXXVIII.

Those Godsgroves, Worship Waters, Stone Circles, and other Vanic Sacred Sites, which were established before the commencement of the Second Viking Age shall be guaranteed and protected by the High Realm, and not any of them shall be disafforested or drained, nor they shall suffer any infringement or trespass upon them; provided always, that access to them shall be governed by the ancient consuetudinary law known as Almannaréttur."

Article V.

This Act may be cited as the Vanic Vikings Act of Year 14.

Article VI.

This Act shall come into operation immediately after it has received the Assent of the High King in the High Council of the Realm.

Memorandum of Explanation

A High Priestess wishes to convey that the why and wherefore of this Bill is to confirm Stormark's nature as a Vanic, Viking and Valtian State.

The Bill also extends the several rights safeguarded by the High Law to the humanoid creatures that inhabit Stormark like elves, dwarves, giants and faeries.

The Bill also explicitly grants the State the power to defend, support and protect the Storish Ancient Ways.

The Bill also secures the ancient rights, privileges, pre-eminences, immunities, advantages and free customs of the Jólaslafðir, the Priestessly Council which is composed of the highest ranking clergy of the Storish Ancient Ways.

The Bill also extends the protection of the State to Stone Circles and other Vanic Sacred Sites.

* A High Priestess prays out loud and lustily. *

Thy Most Sacred Majesties,

Direct, I beseech Thee, O Fulltrui and Sacred Queens, the actions of us Jarls in this present Althing assembled by Thy most sacred inspirations and carry them on by Thy most gracious assistance; that every word and work of ours may always begin from Thee, O Three Ladies Divine, and by Thee be happily ended; through Thy Most Sacred Majesties' Love, so mote it be.

Honourable Jarls,

In the name of the Three Ladies Divine, Frigga, Freyja and Idunn, Fulltrui and Sacred Queens of the Good Lands of Valtia Reborn, from Whom all Authority in the Lands of the Longships Throne is derived, all of me, Lady Aoife the Celt of the House of the Descendants of Freyja, Krónjarla of Stormark, Imperial Chieftainess of the Sólareyjar, Bloodroyal and Ærkejarla of the Sólareyjar, Law Speaker of the Althing, grants the Applejarla leave to submit this Bill of hers to all of you here in this present Althing assembled.

Discussion and debate on this Bill will be open for a period of one week.

Lady Law Speaker

It is no surprise to any-one in this esteemed Hall that I am not a follower of the Vanic Ways. I profess another faith, and I am very proud of the respect I and my faith is given in this High Realm.

Now, as Kaiser of Shireroth, I need to take a more soft approach in discussing politics in other legislatures than the Shirerithian, but I wish to address the issue of religious freedom here.

Does the Applejarla foresee any change of the freedom of religious exercise should this bill be adopted, and if yes, what kind of change would that be?

The Applejarla's bill also includes the provision that a principal participant must take part in a Vanic ceremony. What is a principal participant? Who is that? May I find myself forced to participate in a religious ceremony against my conscience? If yes, under which circumstances?

Lady Law Speaker,

I have promised the members of the Hurmudans' Community that I would convey the Althing their hope, a hope that I share, that the protection of Vanic religious sites in the High Law would be supplemented with the protection of the ancient Hurmu ruins, given that they too were established before the Second Viking Age.

I hope that the Althing and the Applejarla would take this request, which I and the whole Hurmu Community in Stormark and beyond, stand behind.

Thank you.

Article XVIII.

Everyone shall have the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion. Freedom of religion and conscience entails the right to profess and practice a religion, the right to change religion or belief, the right to express one's convictions and the right to be a member of or decline to be a member of a religious community. No one is under the obligation, against his or her conscience, to participate in the practice of a religion.

Does the Applejarla foresee any change of the freedom of religious exercise should this bill be adopted, and if yes, what kind of change would that be?

The Applejarla's bill also includes the provision that a principal participant must take part in a Vanic ceremony. What is a principal participant? Who is that? May I find myself forced to participate in a religious ceremony against my conscience? If yes, under which circumstances?

A High Priestess wishes to convey that the Bill only confirms currnet established practice and there shall be due to Article XVIII of the High Law be no change of the freedom of religious exercise. The same Article also protects people from participating in the practice of a religion against their conscience.

She shall also amend the Bill to address the other concerns expressed by the Lord Jonathan.

Lady Law Speaker

Allow me to thank Her High Holiness the Applejarla for her kind response, and for her willingness to include the Hurmudans' concerns in the bill.

I feel much alleviated.

A Bill

AN ACT TO AMEND THE HIGH LAW OF THE HIGH REALM OF STORMARK CONCERNING THE VANIC, VIKING AND VALTIAN NATURE OF THE HIGH REALM; AND TO GRANT THE HUMANOID POPULATION OF STORMARK BASIC RIGHTS.

Article I.

Article XXXVIII of the Fifth Chapter of the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark shall be amended to read:

"Article XXXVIII.

1. The basis of our values shall remain our Vanic and humanist inheritance. This High Law is to ensure the rule of law as well as human and humanoid rights.

2. Subject to Althingi Law, the Storish Vanafolk shall have all the ancient liberties and free customs of life and worship as the Vanaorbish Vanafolk have always enjoyed since times ancient beyond the memory of (wo)man.

3. All Stormarkers shall be entitled to the rights and freedoms set forth in this High Law, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, gender, sex, language, customs of worship, religion, sexual orientation, political or other opinion, National or social origin, property, birth or other status.

4. The rights and freedoms set out in this High Law may be subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by Statute as can be demonstrably justified in a Vanic, Viking and Valtian society."

Article II.

Article XXXIX of the Fifth Chapter of the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark shall be amended to read:

"Article XXXIX.

1. The Storish Ancient Ways shall be the sole and exclusive customs of worship of the Imperial Level of the State and all State ceremonies shall be conducted in accordance with the same. The same shall apply to the Jarldoms of the Frigga Islands, Freyja's Necklace, the Idunn Isles, and Thingeyri. All persons shall be free to be absent from or abstain from taking part in State ceremonies, without penalty, save for the principal participant(s).

2. The State may take, where needed in the opinion of the High King or High Queen, (draconic) measures to defend, support and protect the Storish Ancient Ways.

3. No Jarldom or other subordinate legislature shall make any law for establishing any religion, for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion. Nothing in this Article shall prevent the High King, the High King in the High Council of the Realm, or a Jarl of the High Realm, from granting a Warrant of Establishment to a religious body.

4. The Norman Churches known since times ancient beyond the memory of woman as the Église de Normandie and the Église Vanille which have been the established churches of the Duchy of Normandie ever since those ancient times shall remain so."

Article III.

Article XXXXIV of the Fifth Chapter of the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark shall be amended to read:

"Article XXXXIV.

1. The Three Grand Mysterious Sisterhoods known since times ancient beyond the memory of woman as the Daughters of Frigga, the Daughters of Freyja, and the Daughters of Idunn shall have all their ancient rights, privileges, pre-eminences, immunities, advantages and free customs.

2. The Priestessly Council composed of the highest ranking clergy of the Storish Ancient Ways which is since times ancient beyond the memory of (wo)man known as the Jólaslafðir or as the Yule Ladies, and which is since those ancient times the spiritual leadership of the Storish Vanafolk, shall have all its ancient rights, privileges, pre-eminences, immunities, advantages and free customs."

Article IV.

Article XXXXVIII of the Fifth Chapter of the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark shall be amended to read:

"Article XXXXVIII.

1. Those Godsgroves, Worship Waters, Stone Circles, and other Vanic Sacred Sites, which were established before the commencement of the Second Viking Age shall be guaranteed and protected by the High Realm, and not any of them shall be disafforested or drained or destroyed, nor they shall suffer any infringement or trespass upon them; provided always, that access to them shall be governed by the ancient consuetudinary law known as Almannaréttur.

2. The Heartland Hurmu Ruins and Remains shall also be guaranteed and protected by the High Realm, and not any of them shall be destroyed, nor they shall suffer any infringement or trespass upon them; provided always, that further provisions concerning the preservation of the aforesaid Ruins and Remains shall be laid down by Althingi Law."

Article V.

This Act may be cited as the Vanic Vikings Act of Year 14.

Article VI.

This Act shall come into operation immediately after it has received the Assent of the High King in the High Council of the Realm.

Article IV.

Article XXXXVIII of the Fifth Chapter of the High Law of the High Realm of Stormark shall be amended to read:

"Article XXXXVIII.

1. Those Godsgroves, Worship Waters, Stone Circles, and other Vanic Sacred Sites, which were established before the commencement of the Second Viking Age shall be guaranteed and protected by the High Realm, and not any of them shall be disafforested or drained or destroyed, nor they shall suffer any infringement or trespass upon them; provided always, that access to them shall be governed by the ancient consuetudinary law known as Almannaréttur.

2. The Heartland Hurmu Ruins and Remains shall also be guaranteed and protected by the High Realm, and not any of them shall be destroyed, nor they shall suffer any infringement or trespass upon them; provided always, that further provisions concerning the preservation of the aforesaid Ruins and Remains shall be laid down by Althingi Law."

Allow me to say that the High Realm of Stormark superabundantly fortunately already has such an Act of the Althing on the books: the Heartland Hurmu Ruins (Preservation) Act of Year 12.

Lady Law Speaker

Allow me to thank Her High Holiness the Applejarla for her kind response, and for her willingness to include the Hurmudans' concerns in the bill.

I feel much alleviated.

A High Priestess wishes to convey to His Imperial Highness that he is exuberantly welcome!

Lady Law Speaker,

I lend my support to this bill.

Lord Jonathan,

May all of me remind all of you that in case that all of you would like to vote on this Bill, all of you must notify all of me in this thread, that of all of you is taking up your Althingi Seat.

Article IV.

"Article XXXXVIII.

It is quite endearing to see that the protection of the sacred sites of by far the largest section of the Storish population as well as those of one of the smallest are mentioned in the same Article.

The Brísingajarla seconds the move for a vote.

Honourable Jarls,

In the name of the Three Ladies Divine, Frigga, Freyja and Idunn, Fulltrui and Sacred Queens of the Good Lands of Valtia Reborn, from Whom all Authority in the Lands of the Longships Throne is derived, all of me has noted that motion for a vote has been made and seconded. All of me hereby declares that debate is closed and that voting shall commence immediately. All Althingi Jarls may vote AYE, NAY, DEFER to signify the Bill be returned to debate or ABSTAIN. Voting may remain open for four days.